Would you welcome a takeover?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whilst there are obviously potentially better owners out there we could still end up with another Briatore.

As I said in the other thread: better the devil you know.

Stability is key.

Or another Ashley.

No. Not at the moment. There arnt many weeks until the start of the season and theres ALOT of work to do. If something happens during the season then so be it, but it would be a disaster if it happened now and we were left standing still for a month or two.

That's another sticking point. If a takeover drags out for a couple of weeks there's no saying what could happen with regards to transfer plans, budgets etc. We need to bounce straight back up into the Premier League if at all possible. Losing weeks with the uncertainty of a takeover could fuck that idea up monumentally. :undecided:

No. Not at the moment. There arnt many weeks until the start of the season and theres ALOT of work to do. If something happens during the season then so be it, but it would be a disaster if it happened now and we were left standing still for a month or two.

That's another sticking point. If a takeover drags out for a couple of weeks there's no saying what could happen with regards to transfer plans, budgets etc. We need to bounce straight back up into the Premier League if at all possible. Losing weeks with the uncertainty of a takeover could fuck that idea up monumentally.

Then we can get back to selling our best players and not replacing them once we bounce back up. \o/

Unsure!

- i call for stability and if ashley accepts shearers demands on how the club should be run, then i think i would prefer it that way!

But i ashley f*cks up 1 more time, its out!

I hope and think ashleys long term plans could go along well with shearers plans for the club! Its not just the squad that need to be sorted it out....shearer is right when he says that the club need changes all over!

That's another sticking point. If a takeover drags out for a couple of weeks there's no saying what could happen with regards to transfer plans, budgets etc. We need to bounce straight back up into the Premier League if at all possible. Losing weeks with the uncertainty of a takeover could fuck that idea up monumentally.

Then we can get back to selling our best players and not replacing them once we bounce back up. \o/

We need to be in Premier League as a bare minimum mate.

We need to be in Premier League as a bare minimum mate.

I know we do. But if it meant long-term stability in the Premiership by getting rid of these fuckwits. I'd take an extra season at this level.

Guest Taff

Mystic Dave!  :yikes:

Sky Sports News understands that the investment bank representing Mike Ashley is in talks with an unnamed consortium regarding a possible takeover of Newcastle United.

Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, is believed to have travelled to the North East on Tuesday to hold talks with an anonymous group that is interested in buying the relegated Premier League club.

Harris was appointed to sell the Magpies last September as owner Ashley unsuccessfully looked for a way out in the wake of a backlash from fans, who had been angered by the departure of former manager Kevin Keegan.

A number of parties showed an interest in the Tyneside outfit, but a deal was not struck and Ashley ended his attempts to sell his ownership.

However, in the wake of the club's fall into the Championship, the millionaire businessman is again looking to end his association with Newcastle, and talks are reported to be ongoing.

Meanwhile, boss Alan Shearer returned to Newcastle's Darsley Park training ground early on Wednesday morning to continue discussions with managing director Derek Llambias.

The former Magpies and England captain returned to his hometown team on a temporary eight-game basis at the beginning of April, but both parties are thought to be keen to extend the deal.

Shearer has not held back in his criticism of Newcastle's infrastructure in the wake of relegation, and he is considered to be the man to help regain a place in the top flight

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5350286,00.html

I've said Yes - it's a no brainer really. Ashley (despite the apology) has shown he doesn't have a clue with regards how to run a football club. It could also be that he is not prepared to pay out of his own pocket to see us through the next season.

Just hope it's not involving Fat Freddy and if it is - that he is a sleeping partner in the deal. Can't see the latter, though.

the consortium didnt do bad for Niall Quinn at sunderland?

I dont trust Ashley will be able to supply the funds needed to get us out of this league. Like others, part of me thinks 'stability & surley he's learnt from his mistakes'. But has he really? Theres a long list that never made him learn before.

Takeovers scare me to death now.

Probably more likely to be someone trying to get us on the cheap now we are in the championship which wouldn't be good.

It could be bad or it could be good, but takeover speculation and further uncertainty at the club is the last thing we need.

Definitely uneasy about this.

I probably would, even though I'm not sure whether it's what's best for the club or not.

To say that Ashley has fucked up big time would be in the same category as the Llambias statement after our relegation, but we are crying out for stability. Of course, we don't want stability in the same sense that Nicky Butt is "consistent" (I.E shit stability), which might be all that Ashley can offer us.

Guest johnson293

Consortiums= bad news.

Was the 'Magpie Group' not a consortium (of sorts) that took over in 1992?

With the right people involved who want whats right for the club/area/fans, it isn't always a bad thing.

If there is truth in this, I just hope they can move things on quickly, and that they want Shearer as manager, and are prepared to back him.

We don't want another situation like when Ashley took over and took time to look at the books before spending, and then Allardyce wasn't 'his man' anyway, so it was probably always just a matter of time till he got rid.

Thing is, I think Ashley still wants out.  It's all very well asking for stability but if he jacks it in half way through the season and sells to the first person through the door we're going to be more unstable than if we do a deal over the close season and start afresh in a new league with a new owner.

WHoever it is, they can't be worse than Ashley.  But then we said that about Freddie  ;D

Guest Phil K

I agree with the stability thing, but really - continuing down the present road is disastrous

No. Any sort of change scares me to death now.

If it isn't some sort of moneybags owner who will come splash infinite amounts of money, I'd rather have the idiots who've already screwed up so much that they can't possibly get any worse.

Whatever happens, if Ashley is seriously thinking about selling up again in the near future it must be part of the conversations with Shearer. I can't see why he'd even entertain their promises if he found out about this takeover talk separately.