Would you welcome a takeover?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the consortium didnt do bad for Niall Quinn at sunderland?

I dont trust Ashley will be able to supply the funds needed to get us out of this league. Like others, part of me thinks 'stability & surley he's learnt from his mistakes'. But has he really? Theres a long list that never made him learn before.

Dunno about that. They've just narrowly avoided relegation with a huge, expensive squad of misfits and a caretaker manager. 

I dont trust Ashley will be able to supply the funds needed to get us out of this league. Like others, part of me thinks 'stability & surley he's learnt from his mistakes'. But has he really? Theres a long list that never made him learn before.

Dunno about that. They've just narrowly avoided relegation with a huge, expensive squad of misfits and a caretaker manager. 

Exactly, they've stayed up by the skin of their teeth for two seasons now.

No. Any sort of change scares me to death now.

If it isn't some sort of moneybags owner who will come splash infinite amounts of money, I'd rather have the idiots who've already screwed up so much that they can't possibly get any worse.

Fantastic logic. And it could get a lot worse than this.

Yeah but only because they backed the wrong horse. With a better manager they could have done much more with that money.

If it isn't some sort of moneybags owner who will come splash infinite amounts of money, I'd rather have the idiots who've already screwed up so much that they can't possibly get any worse.

:idiot2:

Yeah but only because they backed the wrong horse. With a better manager they could have done much more with that money.

Ah I remember those days.  :laugh:

Ah I remember those days.  :laugh:

:(

Guest Magpiecn

Not sure.  If there is going to be one then it needs to happen soon and quickly.  The last thing we need is to seemingly stablilise things for a few months, then get taken over and all the uncertainly starting again.  No on-off stories of potential takeovers would be good.

Aye.

Fantastic logic. And it could get a lot worse than this.

see Leeds united, Notting forest, etc....

edit,...thats where we are headed if things dont change,

I'd welcome anyone with money trying to buy out Ashley.

Where the problem lies is if they intend to run the club themselves, do they have the know-all to, if not, will they bring in someone that knows what they're doing?  Our problem at the minute is that regardless of the money available, we have two monkeys in charge that don't have a fucking clue how to run a football club.

The example being the Irish bought sunderland, but at least left it up to Niall Quinn to sort the day-to-day runnings of the club.  He hasn't worked miracles, but he's done a damn sight better than Llambiarse.

Could easily get worse than this, and by that I don't just mean some kind of catastrophic fall through divisions over the next few years.  It doesn't take many seasons treading water in the championship to become just another second-tier club with no parachute payment, no players left over from better times and not as an attractive proposition for players as whichever teams have managed to fight their way to around play-off territory the last few seasons or have just dropped down.  Then you're thoroughly in the mire with all the rest, waiting and hoping to one day stumble upon the manager, chairman or players who might give you a shot at the big time, in the knowledge that day may never come, you might end up going down the other way and if you do get up there you're unlikely to have the squad or the finances to pay more than a fleeting visit.  There may be reasons to stick with Ashley, but "he can't make it any worse" isn't one of them.

Where the problem lies is if they intend to run the club themselves, do they have the know-all to, if not, will they bring in someone that knows what they're doing?  Our problem at the minute is that regardless of the money available, we have two monkeys in charge that don't have a f***ing clue how to run a football club.

The example being the Irish bought sunderland, but at least left it up to Niall Quinn to sort the day-to-day runnings of the club.  He hasn't worked miracles, but he's done a damn sight better than Llambiarse.

Shepherd? ;)

Where the problem lies is if they intend to run the club themselves, do they have the know-all to, if not, will they bring in someone that knows what they're doing?  Our problem at the minute is that regardless of the money available, we have two monkeys in charge that don't have a f***ing clue how to run a football club.

Shepherd? ;)

Over Llambias, yes.

Shepherd supposedly took us to the edge of financial oblivion last time, but if there were a consortium who owned the club above him, then its their job to look at the books and set limits.  There's no doubting Shepherd wanted the best for the club, his problem was his continuing trend to just chuck money at clubs and players in order to get them in.

I feel this is going to be somewhat one-sided, but never mind. :lol:

Would you welcome a takeover of the club right now? Ashley had well and truly burnt his bridges with the vast majority of fans before we were relegated, but do we need the uncertainty of another takeover?

This isn't about whether you like Ashley or believe his apology is a step in the right direction, but whether you believe a change in ownership at present is good for the future of the club.

As ever, I can see both sides of the argument. I hate what Ashley's done to us but part of me wants him to pay for his mistakes and puts things right. Get us back where we were then consider bailing out. As I don't know who the potential buyer is, I don't know if they're necessarily any better. Ashley clearly wants Shearer as manager, the new lot may not. And do we really want an owner who can only afford to buy us now we're in the Championship?

PS - yes, this thread has come about because of new rumours. See here: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5350286,00.html

I understand how some people are unsure about a takeover at present, but provided it is by people who GENUINELY want to invest in the club AND run it properly, I would not be against one. After all, we cannot be more disorganized than we are right now, and swift action is necessary if the club are to have ANY chance of a quick return to the Prem - despite the Bookies' odds.

Ashley has proved himself such an unpredictable loose cannon that even though he has apologised to fans for mistakes, you would not bet against him making more ; he is incredibly arrogant(witness his treatment of KK after the fall-out with Wise), and pig-headed(appointing Hughton and Co as temp manager after Kinnear's heart probelms, thereby wasting 2 months which could have seen Shearer in charge and a possible escape from the drop)...

However, I would NOT want Shepherd(or his family)involved in ANY takeover of the club - he has been responsible for the club's decline after SBR, and we need people with both nous and a degree of honour to run the club...if Shepherd was among those involved, I would prefer to stick with Ashley.

Ultimately, the club WILL be taken over, whether its now or in a year or so - its a matter of time.

I feel this is going to be somewhat one-sided, but never mind. :lol:

Would you welcome a takeover of the club right now? Ashley had well and truly burnt his bridges with the vast majority of fans before we were relegated, but do we need the uncertainty of another takeover?

This isn't about whether you like Ashley or believe his apology is a step in the right direction, but whether you believe a change in ownership at present is good for the future of the club.

As ever, I can see both sides of the argument. I hate what Ashley's done to us but part of me wants him to pay for his mistakes and puts things right. Get us back where we were then consider bailing out. As I don't know who the potential buyer is, I don't know if they're necessarily any better. Ashley clearly wants Shearer as manager, the new lot may not. And do we really want an owner who can only afford to buy us now we're in the Championship?

PS - yes, this thread has come about because of new rumours. See here: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5350286,00.html

I understand how some people are unsure about a takeover at present, but provided it is by people who GENUINELY want to invest in the club AND run it properly, I would not be against one. After all, we cannot be more disorganized than we are right now, and swift action is necessary if the club are to have ANY chance of a quick return to the Prem - despite the Bookies' odds.

Ashley has proved himself such an unpredictable loose cannon that even though he has apologised to fans for mistakes, you would not bet against him making more ; he is incredibly arrogant(witness his treatment of KK after the fall-out with Wise), and pig-headed(appointing Hughton and Co as temp manager after Kinnear's heart probelms, thereby wasting 2 months which could have seen Shearer in charge and a possible escape from the drop)...

However, I would NOT want Shepherd(or his family)involved in ANY takeover of the club - he has been responsible for the club's decline after SBR, and we need people with both nous and a degree of honour to run the club...if Shepherd was among those involved, I would prefer to stick with Ashley.

Ultimately, the club WILL be taken over, whether its now or in a year or so - its a matter of time.

on the other hand it could be someone who can just about afford to buy the club, wants to install his auntie as manager and plans to sell off the training ground and train at newburn sports centre.

i'll be unsure till i see what anyone offers.

Guest johnson293

Shepherd? ;)

Over Llambias, yes.

Shepherd supposedly took us to the edge of financial oblivion last time, but if there were a consortium who owned the club above him, then its their job to look at the books and set limits.  There's no doubting Shepherd wanted the best for the club, his problem was his continuing trend to just chuck money at clubs and players in order to get them in.

Aye, and Shepherd would be unable to cream as much money for himself from the club (huge rent for family owned warehouse) with people above him, which would also be a good thing.

Don't doubt Freddie ultimately wanted the best for NUFC, but took too many risks in the end, trying to achieve it.

Not right now, no.

If Ashley's takeover is anything to go by then the timing would simply kill any hope we have of rebuilding and we desperately need to rebuild this summer more than any other. A takeover now would give everybody nothing but confusion and as much as I hate the fat bastard for what he's done to us, he's came out and apologised and we need to draw a line under what's happened and all pull in the same direction to clean up the mess.