Who were the guilty players ?

Guest Phil K

Guest Phil K

I'd be interested in who our supporters feel are the guilty men

Yes, there certainly was a seeming lack of effort at times.

Certainly little urgency, as if "I'm on huge wages why should I bother ?"

I always had Beye, Stevey Taylor down as among the few who did sweat for the cause.

And precious few others.

Be interesting who the rest of you say - Instead of Deal or No Deal (God I hate crap TV) Sweat  :thup: or No Sweat ? :thdn:

In my opinion: none of them. The team isn't put together as a team, it's a bunch of decent players who both individually and, more importantly, in combination lack some vital qualities needed to play good Premiership football.

Most importantly, we lack pace and movement. So did Shearer in his later seasons, but he did well as long as he had Bellamy, Robert and Solano.

Butt.

Everyone else pretty much got dropped or taken out of the firing line this season but still we remained utterly useless.

The one constant throughout the season was Nicky Butt.

Playing in the most influential area of the pitch and being so bad he was the biggest reason we were such a bad team imo.

Guest Phil K

Bassong's an odd one - sometimes sweat, other....

Butt is an odder one. Tear your hair out with him, but not a hider.

So I'd controversially have him down as sweat.

Failed as a team over the entire season, no point playing the blame game and singling people out.

Fair comment.

But it still remains that some did not show enthusiasm for the cause.

And it was some of the biggest earners showing least effort too.

Sorry but how is Jonas no sweat?  He's worked his socks off every game, was usually the only one asking for the ball and one of the few not scared to try and take on his man. 

Question his end product and I won't disagree but I don't buy that he didn't sweat. 

The gulty player imo.

Owen

Nolan

Coloccini

Barton

Butt

Cacapa

Geremi

R.Taylor

Mark Viduka - Played well towards the end of the season but where was he during the first 3/4 of the season

Guest toonlass

Sorry but how is Jonas no sweat?  He's worked his socks off every game, was usually the only one asking for the ball and one of the few not scared to try and take on his man. 

Question his end product and I won't disagree but I don't buy that he didn't sweat. 

As an attacking midfielder it doesn't matter how much you run around, if you cannot cross, cannot set up goals and cannot score you might as well not be there.

It's easier to list the guys that actually gave it their all.

Of players that played a fair amount this year I'd say Taylor, Beye, Butt, Duff all deserve praise. While 3 of the 4 of them were more often than not poor, or worse, I can't really fault them for application and really giving it their all.

Bassong I'd find hard to quantify. Guy looked a bit not arsed at times, but he was still very good. If you're playing well, then you can look as interested as a 12 year old goth at Christmas mass for all I care. It's the numerous others who were shite but didn't have the balls about them to actually try that deserve the pasting.

Guthrie and Enrique are two more that I'd give honourable mentions to. Both actually tried, just their respective styles don't seem very urgent. Could have given a bit more though, to be honest.

The rest of them (I may be forgetting someone) were by and large a disgrace.

As an attacking midfielder it doesn't matter how much you run around, if you cannot cross, cannot set up goals and cannot score you might as well not be there.

Also, just doing shuttle runs up and down the left flank does not count as 'Sweat' unless you are prepared to get stuck in and not give up and lay on the ground every time a fullback tackles you.

Would have agreed with you for most of the season, but he seemed to give up the ghost a bit in the last couple of months. With the position we were in, that wasn't exactly sound of him.

I don't know if guilty is the right word. Some of them like Butt and Duff work hard but aren't the players they used to be. Harper and S.Taylor will have done their best. Beye is another professional. Owen and Viduka are a shadow of what they used to be due to injury. It will be interesting to see where Owen ends up. In January the only thing putting off other clubs was probably his injury record. Now his poor form will also be considered. Is he finished?

Fine, but that isn't the idea of the topic. Jonas put the effort in, regardless of whether he was good enough or not.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't know if guilty is the right word. Some of them like Butt and Duff work hard but aren't the players they used to be. Harper and S.Taylor will have done their best. Beye is another professional. Owen and Viduka are a shadow of what they used to be due to injury. It will be interesting to see where Owen ends up. In January the only thing putting off other clubs was probably his injury record. Now his poor form will also be considered. Is he finished?

I would say similar. Theres varying levels of culpability for every player we have to be honest.

The ones who stood up til the end in my view were Taylor, Beye, Butt and Duff and i am not a fan of Duff so its some praise

Owen & Viduka again for our attacking options..

Butt, Nolan, Geremi, Smith, Barton for midfield

Coloccini & Enrique although Enrique came good in the end, early on he was horrific.

Jonas did not create enough but then again who did? ay least he put in 100% everygame, on the whole though Coloccini was just terrible he really was and most of the goals we let in were down to him!!