Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

I'm not buying the good at shot stopping shit at everything else Harper description. Essentially a watered down version of that would apply to Given. Harper a far better rounded keeper - just not very good.

Patently good enough for Championship,and to blame him for that goal is nonsensical really.

if he was at full stretch, he would have saved it.

it was deflected, didn't they mention that on the radio?

Patently good enough for Championship,and to blame him for that goal is nonsensical really.

if he was at full stretch, he would have saved it.

Your breaking the key rule of WUMing, making it too obvious. :nope:

I just think it's going well over the top to even suggest he's not good enough for the Championship. He'd get a game for many Premier League clubs. We're in the fizzy pop league now, we're not going to attract players much better.

I'm not too sure how many Premiership clubs he'd get in tbh.

Arsenal ahead of Almunia? No.

Aston Villa ahead of Friedel? No.

Birmingham ahead of Hart? No.

Blackburn ahead of Robinson? Debatable but I'd say no.

Bolton ahead of Jaskelainen? No.

Burnley ahead of Jensen? Yes.

Chelsea ahead of Cech? No.

Everton ahead of Howard? No.

Fulham ahead of Schwarzer? Debatable.

Hull ahead of Myhill? Yes.

Liverpool ahead of Reina? No.

Man City ahead of Given? No.

Man Utd ahead of van der Sar? No.

Portsmouth ahead of James? No.

Sunderland ahead of Gordon? No.

Spurs ahead of Gomes? No.

Stoke ahead of Sorensen? Debatable.

West Ham ahead of Green? No.

Wigan ahead of Kirkland? No.

Wolves ahead of Hennessey? Debatable.

So I count 2 Premiership clubs that he'd be first-choice in, and about 4 where he's about equal ability. Even 3 of the "debatable" ones are being kind to Harper because I'd say based on last season that Schwarzer, Robinson & Sorensen were better.

Gordon can't get a game for Sunderland most of the time, I'd expect Harper to have a shout there.

For my money, he's a bit like Stuart Taylor (how weird is that, incidentally, anyway) - not a bad keeper, not brilliant, just a bog standard "goalkeeper"

Look, all I'm saying is that yes we went down and yes, a lot of the squad is garbage, but it doesn't mean that automatically every single player is fucking shit. Harper is fine; he was a Premier League and Champions League player for us for years. We have far, far greater priorities, like almost the entire outfield.

Goalkeeping is like last on the list right now IMO.

Look, all I'm saying is that yes we went down and yes, a lot of the squad is garbage, but it doesn't mean that automatically every single player is fucking shit. Harper is fine; he was a Premier League and Champions League player for us for years. We have far, far greater priorities, like almost the entire outfield.

So is the defence ironically enough.  :crazy2:

Which Premiership clubs' keepers is he better than where he'd be given these games?

He played in he Champions League ahead of Shay Given. Does that mean he was 'better'? All I said was he'd get games at that level, not that he's world class.

Depends who leaves though.

Depends who leaves though.

True. But if we can keep a hold of Enrique, Taylor, Bassong & Beye i reckon that's the best defence in the CCC for next season, along with Harper who again i reckon will be the best (at least top 3) keepers in the league as well.

Doubt we can keep a hold of all four, keep cracking on at this pace and all 4 will be gone :(

I think in the Championship he'll do a job for us, but IMO, along with many other areas of the team, the fact he wasn't true Premier League quality is one of the reasons we went down.

Perhaps. But when Given left we only had 27 points from 25 games (two thirds of the way through the season), so it was hardly a massive drop off.

I think in the Championship he'll do a job for us, but IMO, along with many other areas of the team, the fact he wasn't true Premier League quality is one of the reasons we went down.

Perhaps. But when Given left we only had 27 points from 25 games (two thirds of the way through the season), so it was hardly a massive drop off.

Actually Dave, I don't think that's the best defence! That means 7 points from the last 13 games. That IS a massive drop off.

Actually Dave, I don't think that's the best defence! That means 7 points from the last 13 games. That IS a massive drop off.

We didn't even have a manager for some of that time though - we were in absolute turmoil.

All I'm saying is that I think it's harsh to lay too much blame towards Harper. No, he's not as good as Given, but that's life. He's easily good enough to be one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship.

I'm going to stop now. :lol: