Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Tonights Ronnie reckons Frazier Campbell wants to sign for us -

NEWCASTLE United could yet hijack Hull City’s bid to sign England Under-21 ace Fraizer Campbell.

Sources in the North West who are close to the talented 21-year-old claim interest from the Magpies earlier this year has turned the young striker’s head.

And he is “intrigued” to see how developments unfold at St James’s Park in the next few weeks.

Understandably, Manchester United young gun Campbell has delayed a decision about his future until after England Under-21’s European Championship finals bid in Sweden, and told his international team-mates at the team’s hotel he was only focusing right now on helping bring the trophy back to English shores after his side beat Finland 2-1 in Halmstad last night.

And while that decision is likely to frustrate Hull manager Phil Brown and his chairman Paul Duffen, it could yet work in United’s favour, because by the time Campbell returns from England duty on June 29, Newcastle could be closer to a takeover with Alan Shearer in charge.

Leeds’ transfer-listed Jermaine Beckford is in a similar position, and it could also be argued that Newcastle may be a good career move long-term for the young strikers, despite relegation, with the Magpies one of the bookies’ favourites for promotion as it stands.

The North West source told the Chronicle today: “Fraizer has heard that Newcastle United are sniffing around. And he is intrigued to see how things pan out up there.

“He is well aware that there is some uncertainty at Newcastle at the moment. But he is waiting to see what the outcome of that is because this is such a crucial move in his career.”

Hull are also playing the waiting game and are keen to discover what the £6m-rated youngster wants to do on his return.

And City chairman Duffen said: “We have to convince him coming to Hull City is the best thing for his career.

“I believe the next step for Fraizer is to be at Hull, where he’ll get a start every week and the opportunity to score goals in the Premier League. That’s what he needs on his CV, in my opinion.”

Huddersfield-born Campbell has made just two appearances for Manchester United, but has enjoyed successful loan spells at both Hull, who he helped to promotion via the play-offs in 2008, and at Royal Antwerp, where he scored 21 times in 33 appearances.

Saw him a couple of times for Spurs, looked very dirrect, quick and exciting. Seemed to go somewhat to pieces when presented with a chance to score. Kinda a poor man's Agbonlahor would be my description.

Wouldn't complain if we got Fraizer Campbell.

He proved he can bang them in for fun at Championship level, and if we have money to spend then he'd be worth a punt, imo. Going into August with a strike force of Campbell, Carroll and Ranger wouldn't be too bad. Maybe add Jermaine Beckford to that list as well?

Would like to see Simon Cox in there somewhere, think Beckford & Campbell would be too similar (admittedly going off their pacey tags) and would need someone to play off no?

Cox got 29 league goals. Really good player. Would be a good link between midfield and attack.

What did people think of Sparv of Finland yesterday? He would provide some much needed legs in midfield.

Campbell? Not a hope in shit of getting him like. Manu will accept no less than £6m... they accepted a bid from Hull but Campbell won't sign until after the Euros (ie, so a bigger club can come in for him).

Very much doubt we would fork out the 6mil for him, but would be happy enough if we did.

Good age, got some good experience (particularly at CCC level) and could reallly thrive off a season down there.

Beckford is a must as well mind!

If we are picking up Utd players I would definetly want us to be in for Darren Gibson, quality!

I'm with the majority here on Simon Cox/Beckford. They could be excellent signings, I just hope we manage to get rid of a lot of the deadwood in our squad as I can't see us buying anybody until we shift a few bodies out.

There's just summat ridiculously exciting about Shearer tutoring a set of strikers that have a decent bit of raw ability. Can't say i've seen masses of them, but the likes of Carroll, Beckford, Cox, Lita fall into this sort of category. They're decent players who can be bettered.

I fucking wish we'd just sort the fucking club out and set the ball rolling. It would be an exciting time. We're not even being allowed to enjoy the philosophical aspects of being fucking relegated ffs. There's fucking nothing to live for with this club atm. :lol:

Cox got 29 league goals. Really good player. Would be a good link between midfield and attack.

What did people think of Sparv of Finland yesterday? He would provide some much needed legs in midfield.

Sparv isn't good enough.

£6M would be an awful lot for Campbell.  He played in fits and starts for us, worked really hard but looked like he needed another proper season playing consistently in the Championship. Some Spurs fans really, really didn't rate him at all.