Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Newcastle prepare to swoop on QPR players

Jun 17 2009 By Paul Warburton

NEWCASTLE are preparing a £6 million swoop for THREE QPR players.

The fallen Premiership giants want defenders Fitz Hall and Damien Delaney – and are also ready to hijack Dexter Blackstock’s proposed move to Nottingham Forest.

The Magpies believe the trio will boost their chances of getting back to the top flight at the first time of asking – and are ready to broker a deal once they offload £30m-worth of wages currently picked up by a failing squad.

However, Newcastle will be challenging Rs’ own ambitions next season, and have been told it would take a ‘mega-bucks’ deal before the two clubs even get around a table.

"You can imagine selling players to our rivals," said a source, "that’s not the way to get promotion. But money always speaks in football – and it depends on how much Newcastle really want them."

Blackstock was on his way to Forest – but your favourite local paper can reveal no formal offer has been lodged by the east Midlanders, leaving the way open for Newcastle to come in at the 11th hour.

Delaney is wanted by Roy Keane at Ipswich as well – but new Rs boss Jim Magilton is reluctant to sell the Irish international to the club that sacked him in April.

And to prove those in Hoops won admirers despite failing to get into the play-offs of a season punctuated by three managers – West Bromwich Albion are eyeing Matt Connolly.

The central defender switched to left-back and did a good job keeping Delaney out towards the end of the season.

But once again, Rs would be reluctant sellers.

A source said: "Everyone has said the current squad is good enough – and this interest proves it."

Cox got 29 league goals. Really good player. Would be a good link between midfield and attack.

What did people think of Sparv of Finland yesterday? He would provide some much needed legs in midfield.

Sparv isn't good enough.

I agree.

I'd still love us to go for Raitala if a bigger club doesnt offer him a good big role.

Arent QPR one of the richest clubs around as theyre owned by Briatore and Mittal (5th richest in the world)? What would they need to sell their players for......

how are they one of the richest clubs around just because their owners are some of the richest people around ?

it means nowt if they aren't going to commit it to the club and so far they've bought the place and are making them live largely within their means.

Guest Roger Kint

See our rivals are starting to snap up the promising talent now. Lee Croft, Reid(as above) Sean Davis, Moritz Voltz and Freddie Sears all linked to other clubs and not long before all bargains are snapped up while we lose ground.

Not sure how we are in for three QPR players without an owner or manager mind ???

From Vital Football - not sure of their "sources":

Alan Shearer has identified Sheffield Wednesday duo Mark Beevers, and Tommy Spurr as potential replacements for outward-bound Sebastien Bassong, and Jose Enrique, it has emerged.

In addition, Big Al also wants to sign Tottenham Hotspurs right-back Chris Gunter, and Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford.

The 38-year-old potential-boss has also outlined a fall-back plan if he fails to land his initial targets with former Magpie Andy Griffin, and Damian Delaney of QPR lined-up.

Several loan deals are also said to be looming, with Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell, Manchester United defender James Chester, and Chelsea youth Franco di Santo linked.

Shearer expects an announcement specifying whether he has a shot at the United manager's post or otherwise by this time next week.

Any news pertaining to Chris Hughton taking charge of pre-season will also be released by that time - if Alan Shearer is not appointed.

There is literally no chance at all of Rodwell being loaned out. Wouldn't surprise me if he was in our first XI by the end of the coming season. Sure I read Di Santo was supposed to be going to Blackburn as well?

Beevers would be a very good signing though, promising centre half.

Andy Griffin ffs :lol:

(yes, I do appreciate THAT goal but surely we need to be looking to the future and not the past)

He's an ok player but not what we need for team morale, he's basically an idiot

Andy Griffin ffs :lol:

(yes, I do appreciate THAT goal but surely we need to be looking to the future and not the past)

He's an ok player but not what we need for team morale, he's basically an idiot

I wasn't even thinking about that, more the fact he must be well into his thirties and we need young, quick players not more slowcoaches like Nolan etc

Assumed he was way past the big 30 purely on hair colour tbh

i think he'd like to come back to have one last go at driving his car under a metro at callerton........was so close to making it last time.

If we keep Beye and Taylor we don't even need a RB desperately. R.Taylor will be decent in that league as well. With Bassong and Colo going it is much more important we get a couple of centre backs in as well as a left back.

If we keep Beye and Taylor we don't even need a RB desperately. R.Taylor will be decent in that league as well. With Bassong and Colo going it is much more important we get a couple of centre backs in as well as a left back.

How will playing against poorer opponents improve his crossing/set piece ability?