RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If it's true that Ashley is selling the club for £100 million then credit where credit is due! He's been nothing but a disaster for the club but it takes a lot for someone to just walk away losing around £100 million in the process! Hed at least be allowed to leave the club with his head held high. For a new owner to come in with the slate wiped clean would be fantastic for the club and there would be no excuse for not getting promoted next year because the Championship is not a good league. Any decent investment would get us promoted, even if that came in as late as August.

So if the £100 million is wiped off in a perverse way Ashley might just be one of the best things to happen to Newcastle and for that Id say thanks!

One thing for sure I'd bet quite a lot on Ashley not selling to a consortium connected to Freddie Sheppard, there's no way he'd wipe that sort of debt off and then sell the club to one of the people responsible for it!

:weep: He hasnt got any choice. Trying to get Shearer to sign up to a deal that suited Mike Ashley and hoping for a miracle was his last throw of the dice. Fortunately Shearer seems to have stuck to his guns and declined the offer to oversee the asset stripping.

Now Ashley has two options. Hang around watching his entire investment get wiped out, or sell now for what he can get. Its a choice between losing £150m or losing £250m.

See where you're coming from but I think he could have stripped the club of everything it had, such as selling the training ground, the stadium, and all the players, renaming the ground. Even after doing all of that we would still have attracted around 25,000 - 30,000 fans which would have been a nice earner! I know some of that is extreme but I wouldn't have put it past him, for me though I was expecting him to invest nothing in the team and just let the club drift along!

I know everyone hates Ashley, and I like him less every day, but to use a phrase like 'asset stripping' is completely wrong.

He hasn't taken a penny out of the club, unlike previous owners. Yes, he hasn't spent, and we've suffered for it, but he hasn't 'asset stripped' by any normal definition of the term.

I know everyone hates Ashley, and I like him less every day, but to use a phrase like 'asset stripping' is completely wrong.

He hasn't taken a penny out of the club, unlike previous owners. Yes, he hasn't spent, and we've suffered for it, but he hasn't 'asset stripped' by any normal definition of the term.

Oi dont spoil it for others  :iamatwat:

We're given to understand that the £100m price tag is an "all-in" price and that Ashley has written off the estimated £110m of additional funding that he shored up the club with - in other words a new owner does inherit that extra sum as a liability.

Could make us a hell of a lot more attractive.

I'm inclined to think he'll take what he can get especially with wages running so high (money that has to be found every month) till they are shifted. Might not be so  easy to shift either.

Aye, the wages until Owen/Viduka/Cacapa/etc f*** off are just dead money now the season is over. The quicker he gets out the better for him.

If you think about it (assuming Owen is on £105,000 a week as many papers and FM document) then from the final day on May 24th, Owen will make £525,000, over half a million, from simply going into training for a couple of days and then sunning it and watching racehorses, in 5 weeks.

There will probably be some excessive loyalty bonus for him seeing out his contract too.

He should be made to work by NUFC until his contract expires in my opinion.

what do you want him to do like?  work in the ticket office sorting the season ticket renewels out? 

We're given to understand that the £100m price tag is an "all-in" price and that Ashley has written off the estimated £110m of additional funding that he shored up the club with - in other words a new owner does inherit that extra sum as a liability.

I'm inclined to think he'll take what he can get especially with wages running so high (money that has to be found every month) till they are shifted. Might not be so  easy to shift either.

Aye, the wages until Owen/Viduka/Cacapa/etc f*** off are just dead money now the season is over. The quicker he gets out the better for him.

If you think about it (assuming Owen is on £105,000 a week as many papers and FM document) then from the final day on May 24th, Owen will make £525,000, over half a million, from simply going into training for a couple of days and then sunning it and watching racehorses, in 5 weeks.

There will probably be some excessive loyalty bonus for him seeing out his contract too.

what do you want him to do like?  work in the ticket office sorting the season ticket renewels out? 

A job that forces him to be on the phone with fans for several hours a day?

...That would actually be brilliant.

Caulkin is saying he will write it off and he is ultra reliable.  He also writes for the Times who Ashley has clearly been speaking to.  He wants rid and this is a good way to expediate things.

I was gonna post that article but they appear to have pulled it...

Is this it? Not sure if its the right article?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6396030.ece

Caulkin is saying he will write it off and he is ultra reliable.  He also writes for the Times who Ashley has clearly been speaking to.  He wants rid and this is a good way to expediate things.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6396030.ece

No. :lol:

It's back up now:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6401553.ece

Mike Ashley races for the exit

George Caulkin

Alan Shearer’s blueprint for Newcastle United’s future is in the hands of the club’s bankers after Mike Ashley’s decision to end his “catastrophic” tenure at St James’ Park “as soon as I can”. The sportswear retailer has reappointed Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, the City advisers, to push through the sale of Newcastle, with a potential bidder already understood to have expressed a firm interest in the relegated club.

Shearer is effectively working for nothing after the expiration of his eight-match contract, but expects to hear this week whether his plans for the wholesale restructuring of Newcastle have been approved by Barclays Bank, which has provided Newcastle with a £40 million working capital facility. With costs being slashed in the wake of demotion, about 120 of the club’s employees are likely to lose their jobs.

Harris, who had been charged with finding a buyer last winter before Ashley withdrew the club from the market, was a visible presence at Newcastle’s training ground last week, which will not have escaped Shearer’s notice.

Shearer is committed to restoring Newcastle’s fortunes and remains optimistic that a positive outcome will emerge in the next few days. There is a feeling within his camp that Newcastle with Shearer in situ represent a more attractive proposition for investors than the opposite; it is believed that broad agreement with Ashley has been reached over transfer funds, although Shearer may have to compromise on his request for a £2.5 million salary.

The scale of Ashley’s desperation to sell is apparent in his willingness to write off the interest-free loan he has made to Newcastle. The founder of Sports Direct bought the club for £134 million two years ago and has subsequently pumped in a further £110 million to pay off debts, but is willing to accept a total price of £100 million; industry insiders have suggested that £80 million may be a more realistic figure.

Harris’s firm signed a binding engagement letter with Ashley last week with the aim of achieving a speedy sale. In spite of much noise emanating from Freddy Shepherd, there has been no contact with Newcastle’s former chairman and even a much-reduced price would appear to be a significant deterrent to any wholly local consortium.

It will take at least a month for any deal to be completed, but there is no longer any debate about Ashley’s motivation. “Of course I regret it,” he said of buying Newcastle. “I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I was just a fan — although a very wealthy fan. But I’m not so wealthy now. I put my money into it and I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short. I am genuinely sorry for everybody about what has happened.”

Internally, there is no debate about Shearer’s suitability for the task. “There will obviously be a massive clear-out,” Damien Duff, the Ireland winger, said. “There are budgets in the Championship and I’m sure the gaffer knows who cares about the club and who stays. There is only one man to get us back up and that is Alan Shearer. I’m sure it’ll be him and I’m sure he’ll take the job.”

Reports that Steve Bruce is awaiting developments at Newcastle before deciding whether to commit himself to Sunderland, their local rivals, can be discounted.

Sunderland expect to reach an agreement with Wigan Athletic over compensation for the manager today before discussing personal terms with Bruce, who is still on course to be named as Ricky Sbragia’s successor before the end of this week.

Roberto Mancini, the former coach of Inter Milan, was quoted yesterday as saying he was “honoured to have had an offer from Sunderland”, which was an intriguing statement given that Niall Quinn is focusing all his energies on securing Bruce’s signature, a decision endorsed by Ellis Short, the club’s new owner.

No. :lol:

ok, sorry  :weep:

Guest fading star

What do you think is going to happen if Ashley fails to sell the club again? How is he going to balance the books? He’d have to find at least £50m to avoid administration, and that’s assuming attendances hold up. Where’s the money going to come from if it isn’t from flogging off our few remaining assets?

is this the article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6401553.ece

Guest fading star

A job that forces him to be on the phone with fans for several hours a day?

...That would actually be brilliant.

He’d probably pick up a wrist injury just before his first shift.

What do you think is going to happen if Ashley fails to sell the club again? How is he going to balance the books? Hed have to find at least £50m to avoid administration, and thats assuming attendances hold up. Wheres the money going to come from if it isnt from flogging off our few remaining assets?

Given that the guy already seems to be shouldering more than his share of the blame, can we not refrain from blaming him for things that he hasn't actually done yet?

Guest fading star

is this the article

Most encouraging thing I’ve read in ages.

What’s a £40m working capital fund?

is this the article

Yeah, I posted it on the last page. ;)

Shearer is effectively working for nothing after the expiration of his eight-match contract, but expects to hear this week whether his plans for the wholesale restructuring of Newcastle have been approved by Barclays Bank...

The man's a legend.

is this the article

Yeah, I posted it on the last page. ;)

sorry to slow in posting it

Shearer is effectively working for nothing after the expiration of his eight-match contract, but expects to hear this week whether his plans for the wholesale restructuring of Newcastle have been approved by Barclays Bank...

The man's a legend.

We know. Also see under : Messiah, God, Prodigal Son, Lazarus, Allah, Prophet, King, Prince.

Christ sake.

The man's a legend.

We know. Also see under : Messiah, God, Prodigal Son, Lazarus, Allah, Prophet, King, Prince.

Christ sake.

buddha ? 

or

koresh ?

The man's a legend.

Christ sake.

How can you possibly be comparing Shearer to this man?

http://blogs.theage.com.au/lifestyle/trashtalk/prince.jpg

The man's a legend.

Christ sake.

buddha ? 

or

koresh ?

You didn't know he was Ganesh aswell?