RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There is a nagging doubt in my mind after all the twists & turns in this saga, and that is that clubs such as Birmingham and Pompey have been bought quickly whilst nobody with REAL money seems to want to touch NUFC with a barge-pole.

Yes, I know all about being relegated, big debt etc etc...BUT - neither of the 2 clubs mentioned should be mentioned in the same breath as Newcastle United when it comes to what can be achieved in terms of support(including International potential)or recent success in terms of CL qualification etc.

Birmingham have never been a regular Prem side OR been in Europe as often as NUFC - their crowds don't approach ours, and neither does their stadium ; the same comments could be made about Pompey and yet both these clubs were bought by people with big money - in Brum's case, a Hong Kong businessman who paid 80m for the club..

The only conclusions that can be drawn from this are ;-

1. The Off-balance sheet items are worse than we think

2. The debt is worse than is believed

3. Potential buyers think that the club is too 'provincially clannish' and therefore only manageable by a local acceptable to the fans(NOT totally true, but there is SOME truth in that - witness those who are pleased the club is relegated so that 'glory-hunters' stop supporting it)

4. Potential buyers are being 'warned off', either by people in the media, influential people in the City of London because of their strained relations with Ashley, OR - worse still - by so-called 'influential' people in the game...

There are other factors which could be drawn into play, but these seem the most likely - after all, if you had a chance of buying NUFC for, say, 15m more than Brum, logic dictates that anyone wanting to make a success of the club would plump for Newcastle - even though Brum(and Pompey) are currently in the Prem.

Has nobody really asked themselves why such a situation exists, and if they have, has anyone been honest enough to try to accept that, for some reason, these innocuous clubs are seen as more attractive than NUFC..?

I have tried to look at this question as a neutral buyer would, and even without any hint of bias, Newcastle seems a better buy than either of those clubs - indeed, there are several clubs currently in the prem who are dead-beats when compared to Newcastle's potential and draw - it would be easier to understand IF - IF NO clubs were being bought because of caution over the financial situation, but this is not the case..

Doesn't this all seem a bit strange to you guys....!??? There is something wrong here...

Dear Merlin..... You usually close to facts but it is wrong the Portsmouth saga is still going on with the owner put the club on sale over a year now. Birmngham was on sale and use to negotiate with this HK bloke for nearly two years. So please lets not put false logic to raise our hopes....

I think the biggest difference between us and the other two clubs you mentioned is that they, if i remeber correctly, have both been run quite astutely, which means that £80m pretty much means £80m. With us you buy the club for £100m knowing you are inheriting the highest wage bill in the championship, a £100m loan and a club that is in no way financially prepared for life in the Championship. We need a major financial restructure or immediate promotion in order to avoid servious problems in the near future - that is a f***ing massive risk for any businessman. If i was buying a club as an investment i'd probably opt for Birmingham City

Yup the fire sale at Pompey since January suggests a club that has been run astutley and within its means.

Good ol Harry with his wheeling and dealing

i'm sure i've heard Alex McLeish say that birmingham have overspent as well

Yes, but they're sensible enough to do something about it before it gets ridiculous. They've made decent profits on Defoe, Crouch, Diarra and Utaka so they're probably OK now. They definitely have a much weaker squad than when Arry was managing them but if they can stay in the Prem they'll be alright.

Buy 'run well' I mean relative to us - we're still paying for players who haven't played for us for fucking years, we didn't write relegation clauses into half the player's contracts, we paid ridiculous wages for players who were well past their best and we put ourselves on the verge of administration by spending well beyond our means.

Birmingham may have overspent based on their own self-imposed financial constraints but they would still be sustainable in the Championship if they came straight back down. A self-sufficient championship club with a loyal fanbase and a decent shot at promotion is a much more attractive proposition than a debt-riddled Premier League underachiever whose only plus points are a big stadium and a fiercely loyal set of supporters.

Guest Redheugh

100m loan will be written off. Its the 40m to Barclays thats the issue

:lol:

You've changed your tune.

How so?

It won't be Moat

Exactly why it won't be Moat.

1. He hasn't offered 100m

2. He hasn't got 100m + guarantee on Barclays loan

There is a nagging doubt in my mind after all the twists & turns in this saga, and that is that clubs such as Birmingham and Pompey have been bought quickly whilst nobody with REAL money seems to want to touch NUFC with a barge-pole.

Yes, I know all about being relegated, big debt etc etc...BUT - neither of the 2 clubs mentioned should be mentioned in the same breath as Newcastle United when it comes to what can be achieved in terms of support(including International potential)or recent success in terms of CL qualification etc.

Birmingham have never been a regular Prem side OR been in Europe as often as NUFC - their crowds don't approach ours, and neither does their stadium ; the same comments could be made about Pompey and yet both these clubs were bought by people with big money - in Brum's case, a Hong Kong businessman who paid 80m for the club..

The only conclusions that can be drawn from this are ;-

1. The Off-balance sheet items are worse than we think

2. The debt is worse than is believed

3. Potential buyers think that the club is too 'provincially clannish' and therefore only manageable by a local acceptable to the fans(NOT totally true, but there is SOME truth in that - witness those who are pleased the club is relegated so that 'glory-hunters' stop supporting it)

4. Potential buyers are being 'warned off', either by people in the media, influential people in the City of London because of their strained relations with Ashley, OR - worse still - by so-called 'influential' people in the game...

There are other factors which could be drawn into play, but these seem the most likely - after all, if you had a chance of buying NUFC for, say, 15m more than Brum, logic dictates that anyone wanting to make a success of the club would plump for Newcastle - even though Brum(and Pompey) are currently in the Prem.

Has nobody really asked themselves why such a situation exists, and if they have, has anyone been honest enough to try to accept that, for some reason, these innocuous clubs are seen as more attractive than NUFC..?

I have tried to look at this question as a neutral buyer would, and even without any hint of bias, Newcastle seems a better buy than either of those clubs - indeed, there are several clubs currently in the prem who are dead-beats when compared to Newcastle's potential and draw - it would be easier to understand IF - IF NO clubs were being bought because of caution over the financial situation, but this is not the case..

Doesn't this all seem a bit strange to you guys....!??? There is something wrong here...

Dear Merlin..... You usually close to facts but it is wrong the Portsmouth saga is still going on with the owner put the club on sale over a year now. Birmngham was on sale and use to negotiate with this HK bloke for nearly two years. So please lets not put false logic to raise our hopes....

I think the biggest difference between us and the other two clubs you mentioned is that they, if i remeber correctly, have both been run quite astutely, which means that £80m pretty much means £80m. With us you buy the club for £100m knowing you are inheriting the highest wage bill in the championship, a £100m loan and a club that is in no way financially prepared for life in the Championship. We need a major financial restructure or immediate promotion in order to avoid servious problems in the near future - that is a f***ing massive risk for any businessman. If i was buying a club as an investment i'd probably opt for Birmingham City

Yup the fire sale at Pompey since January suggests a club that has been run astutley and within its means.

Good ol Harry with his wheeling and dealing

i'm sure i've heard Alex McLeish say that birmingham have overspent as well

Yes, but they're sensible enough to do something about it before it gets ridiculous. They've made decent profits on Defoe, Crouch, Diarra and Utaka so they're probably OK now. They definitely have a much weaker squad than when Arry was managing them but if they can stay in the Prem they'll be alright.

Buy 'run well' I mean relative to us - we're still paying for players who haven't played for us for fucking years, we didn't write relegation clauses into half the player's contracts, we paid ridiculous wages for players who were well past their best and we put ourselves on the verge of administration by spending well beyond our means.

Birmingham may have overspent based on their own self-imposed financial constraints but they would still be sustainable in the Championship if they came straight back down. A self-sufficient championship club with a loyal fanbase and a decent shot at promotion is a much more attractive proposition than a debt-riddled Premier League underachiever whose only plus points are a big stadium and a fiercely loyal set of supporters.

As we would have been.

Pompey's form since the turn of the year has been as bad, if not worse, than ours. Only a good start saved them last season and this year they are one of the favourites to go down. So I would disagree that they did something before it was too late, they've just delayed the inevitable relegation - at which point they will have no saleable assets and will run administration very close.

I'm not familiar enough with Brum to comment.

As if anyone expected it to be more than something like this. :lol: This is fairly encouraging, I think even if Moat does get in a manager and have 48 hours of the transfer market left, we still might just get away with it. If we get Loven and Campbell in with maybe another 2 signings we'll get away with that squad till Jan. But it is of course imperative we keep everyone else, still a bit nervous though, we're absolutely fucked if it doesn't go through.  :no:

what a fucking surprise. i told you lot he was never serious about selling.  I fucking knew there will be an extention.

There be an extention just to carry the fucking club past the transfer deadline, then the fat bastard will say "im not selling, can't find a buyer"

That way he dont need to spend any money on new players.  This fat fucker is so predictable yet alot us keep buying into his bullshit.

There is no fucking takeover, just aload of his old bullshit PR crap coming out of Ashleys wanking money men. just fuck off!

Barry fucking Moat is probably gettign paid by that fat twat just to show his face around and add a few quotes, making it out like there gonna be a takeover, just to to try and pull the fucking wool over our eyes!

we aint that fucking stupid, this is the same old shit we expect from that fat cunt, just fuck off u prick!

what a f***ing surprise. i told you lot he was never serious about selling.  I f***ing knew there will be an extention.

There be an extention just to carry the f***ing club past the transfer deadline, then the fat b****** will say "im not selling, can't find a buyer"

That way he dont need to spend any money on new players.  This fat f***er is so predictable yet alot us keep buying into his bullshit.

There is no f***ing takeover, just aload of his old bullshit PR crap coming out of Ashleys wanking money men. just f*** off!

Barry f***ing Moat is probably gettign paid by that fat t*** just to show his face around and add a few quotes, making it out like there gonna be a takeover, just to to try and pull the f***ing wool over our eyes!

we aint that f***ing stupid, this is the same old s*** we expect from that fat c***, just f*** off u prick!

I'm pretty sure Moat & Barclays would be able to sue the arse off of the club and Ashley if what that statement says is false. Get a fucking grip man.

what a f***ing surprise. i told you lot he was never serious about selling.  I f***ing knew there will be an extention.

There be an extention just to carry the f***ing club past the transfer deadline, then the fat b****** will say "im not selling, can't find a buyer"

That way he dont need to spend any money on new players.  This fat f***er is so predictable yet alot us keep buying into his bullshit.

There is no f***ing takeover, just aload of his old bullshit PR crap coming out of Ashleys wanking money men. just f*** off!

Barry f***ing Moat is probably gettign paid by that fat t*** just to show his face around and add a few quotes, making it out like there gonna be a takeover, just to to try and pull the f***ing wool over our eyes!

we aint that f***ing stupid, this is the same old s*** we expect from that fat c***, just f*** off u prick!

I'm pretty sure Moat & Barclays would be able to sue the arse off of the club and Ashley if what that statement says is false. Get a f***ing grip man.

Yes and why would Ashley rack up a load of fees with Seymour Pierce if he didn't want to sell ffs?

what a fucking surprise. i told you lot he was never serious about selling.  I fucking knew there will be an extention.

There be an extention just to carry the fucking club past the transfer deadline, then the fat bastard will say "im not selling, can't find a buyer"

That way he dont need to spend any money on new players.  This fat fucker is so predictable yet alot us keep buying into his bullshit.

There is no fucking takeover, just aload of his old bullshit PR crap coming out of Ashleys wanking money men. just fuck off!

Barry fucking Moat is probably gettign paid by that fat twat just to show his face around and add a few quotes, making it out like there gonna be a takeover, just to to try and pull the fucking wool over our eyes!

we aint that fucking stupid, this is the same old shit we expect from that fat cunt, just fuck off u prick!

If Ashley had taken the club off the market today (or last week, or at any point for that matter) do you believe he would have spent any money on new players then?

Because if not, I don't know what you're moaning about.

Where did you get this from?

There's no way the club's worth anything like £200m+. Writing off that loan has to be part of any realistic deal surely.

The key word there is realistic. I don't any more than anyone else on here but I could well believe that Ashley's insistence on recovering his loan is a key reason for there being no takers so far. I've seen nothing from any reliable source that indicates the loan is being written off. When you buy a business you inherit its assets and liabilities and the loan is simply a liability of the company.

If Ashley had taken the club off the market today (or last week, or at any point for that matter) do you believe he would have spent any money on new players then?

What im fucking moaning about is fucking the average joe supporter.  Alot of the fucking clueless wanks of our supporter will think he's trying to fucking sell the club.  giving them false hopes time after time, stringing them along like cunt buckets.

People like me and you know his fucking dirty game, but i feel sorry for the others that he's fucking, and trying to get back into their good books.  We both fucking know his game is to get this club back to the prem on the least amount of money, in the most unendearing , unappreciated methods that he can. 

Where did you get this from?

There's no way the club's worth anything like £200m+. Writing off that loan has to be part of any realistic deal surely.

The key word there is realistic. I don't any more than anyone else on here but I could well believe that Ashley's insistence on recovering his loan is a key reason for there being no takers so far. I've seen nothing from any reliable source that indicates the loan is being written off. When you buy a business you inherit its assets and liabilities and the loan is simply a liability of the company.

Loan could be repayable when club gains promotion?

Guest sicko2ndbest

What im f***ing moaning about is f***ing the average joe supporter.  Alot of the f***ing clueless wanks of our supporter will think he's trying to f***ing sell the club.  giving them false hopes time after time, stringing them along like c*** buckets.

People like me and you know his f***ing dirty game, but i feel sorry for the others that he's f***ing, and trying to get back into their good books.  We both f***ing know his game is to get this club back to the prem on the least amount of money, in the most unendearing , unappreciated methods that he can. 

Any need for so many expletives?

You didn't answer my question. ;)

we both know he aint gonna spend much money regardless of the state of "on" or "off" the market status of the club.  I told you i was moaning because it's got nothing to do with the status of the club, it's about the fans that he's deluding,  that's what really pisses me off.  They're the one's I feel sorry for.

What im f***ing moaning about is f***ing the average joe supporter.  Alot of the f***ing clueless wanks of our supporter will think he's trying to f***ing sell the club.  giving them false hopes time after time, stringing them along like c*** buckets.

People like me and you know his f***ing dirty game, but i feel sorry for the others that he's f***ing, and trying to get back into their good books.  We both f***ing know his game is to get this club back to the prem on the least amount of money, in the most unendearing , unappreciated methods that he can. 

Isn't that what the average Joe wants too?

You didn't answer my question. ;)

we both know he aint gonna spend much money regardless of the state of "on" or "off" the market status of the club.  I told you i was moaning because it's got nothing to do with the status of the club, it's about the fans that he's deluding,  that's what really pisses me off.  They're the one's I feel sorry for.

Even though they're 'fucking clueless wanks'? ???

My point was that with Ashley staying there would be no hope. Baseless or otherwise, I'd rather have some hope than none. :undecided:

I'm not surprised this has happened. Points to another delaying tactic for Ashley. Deadline day will come and go, he'll then take us off the market and say that because of the potential takeover, we weren't able to buy any players. :thdn: Also expect some more players to leave in the next few days.

I also wager than Ashley will be trousering all of the cash that is coming into the club via transfers. The lads at .com make an excellent point in that when assets have been sold and the wage bill dropping, then why hasn't the value of the club dropped (and the overdraft too) as well?

Ashley is taking the piss out of all of us - make no mistake.

I'm not surprised this has happened. Points to another delaying tactic for Ashley. Deadline day will come and go, he'll then take us off the market and say that because of the potential takeover, we weren't able to buy any players. :thdn: Also expect some more players to leave in the next few days.

I also wager than Ashley will be trousering all of the cash that is coming into the club via transfers. The lads at .com make an excellent point in that when assets have been sold and the wage bill dropping, then why hasn't the value of the club dropped (and the overdraft too) as well?

true but im a realist, i know for a fact someone like ashley is not ready to make a lost, when all he got to do is to wait another 9 months or so, to see if the club gets promoted and he be back in the money again.  he aint fucking stupid. 

Doesn't that amount to embezzlement, ie illegal?

He can't 'trouser' the cash as thats illegal.  Also we proabably havent received the fees for the players yet or at least not most of it, we are still getting money from selling milner and the zog.

no, he owns the club outright, he can take as much out as he likes, even if it's a detrimental to his buisiness (club).

That's what I thought.