RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He is a bit biased though - he clearly hates Ashley.  It just so happens we think this is justified and we like him as he is a fan like us.  It is great to hear someone who is eloquent, in a position of relative power and who is clearly on our side.  Doesn't do any harm that he quotes The Smiths either.  I'd go as far as to say that he writes with due diligence.  :dowie:

Caulkin is one of the better scribes, but he doesn't seem to have any insider knowledge or original opinions. It's just the same old soap-opera-that-is-Newcastle-Ashley-is-crap stuff.

Moat doesn't seem able or willing to invest much of his own money, if any. He seems to be raising it from elsewhere. I don't want to end up with Son of Freddie.

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

I couldn't give a f*** if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is f***ing easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

Do we not want big signings, attractive football and the Champions League again though? Playing devil's advocate, but to get those things you need serious money nowadays.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

I've bolded the only tricky bit, but a bit of common sense would go a long way.

I couldn't give a f*** if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is f***ing easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

Do we not want big signings, attractive football and the Champions League again though? Playing devil's advocate, but to get those things you need serious money nowadays.

We'd need to become a circus like ManCity for CL right at this moment in time. Big signings aren't necessary, good signings are (although these often go hand in hand). Don't need big money to play good football - see KK at Newcastle at the back end of the season before last.

:facepalm:

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Ashley was lambasted for not investing heavily. Pretty certain he did exactly what you've just asked for, until the Wise/Keegan situation.

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as s***, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

tell me who they are. the vast majority think they done very well for a while then lost it in their last few years in charge.

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they also robbed the club of tens of millions of pounds.  Having said that I doubt you'd find a Newcastle fan who thought they were shit until Shepherd took over himsellf.

Guest toonlass

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/09/george-caulkinwhen-you-say-its-gonna-happen-now-well-when-exactly-do-you-meanthe-smiths-how-soon-is-nowno-prizes-for.html

September 08, 2009

Frenzy removed from Newcastle as takeover talks continue

George Caulkin

Was busy scanning through this thread and read this as Fonzy, which at this moment would be as believable as anything else that has gone on this summer.

I absolutely f***ing adore George Caulkin. Bringing any semblance of clarity to the situation is a tall order and he does it with quotes from The Smiths.

Not the only one watching the Rough trade special on BBC4 last weekend.

funny you should mention that prog in relation to the travails of nufc as when i was watching it i did see some similarities. mainly that there were some at rough trade whos attitude was "it's just about the music" and didn't care to think about the financial consequences. similarly there are some on here who over the past few years have wanted things to focus solely on the football (beautifully romantic idea that it is) when to get the best out of the soul of it (the football or the music) you have to balance it will the dull,pragmatic,horrible financial side.

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as s***, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

tell me who they are. the vast majority think they done very well for a while then lost it in their last few years in charge.

Unfortunately in some peoples world view opinions are immutable and indivisible by time period. 

Thinking a film started well means you have to stand by the whole film being good, even if it ended weakly.  Conversely, expressing the opinion that it ended weakly means you think it was all shite.  There is no way for them to reconcile having two opinions about the same thing at different time periods.

Ashley was lambasted for not investing heavily. Pretty certain he did exactly what you've just asked for, until the Wise/Keegan situation.

No, he wasn't. He wasn't lambasted much at all until Keegan quit and we noticed the promised investment in the squad amounted to leaving us one player short compared to the previous season. Running the club "sensibly" does not mean turning it into a selling club.

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Unfortunately in some peoples world view opinions are immutable and indivisible by time period. 

Thinking a film started well means you have to stand by the whole film being good, even if it ended weakly.  Conversely, expressing the opinion that it ended weakly means you think it was all s****.  There is no way for them to reconcile having two opinions about the same thing at different time periods.

Very true. And it is truly staggering that this point needs to be made time and time again.

Guest elbee909

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Thinking a film started well means you have to stand by the whole film being good, even if it ended weakly.  Conversely, expressing the opinion that it ended weakly means you think it was all s****.  There is no way for them to reconcile having two opinions about the same thing at different time periods.

Very true. And it is truly staggering that this point needs to be made time and time again.

Some people feel the need to elevate their opinion of themselves by continually proving how 'stupid' everybody else is, over and over.

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Because they also robbed the club of tens of millions of pounds.  Having said that I doubt you'd find a Newcastle fan who thought they were s*** until Shepherd took over himsellf.

Not even then really  -  it was not until the Arab Sheik scam thing, that a lot of fans came to dislike Shepherd

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

The majority of match goers, yes. Not certain members of this forum, as you well know.

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Because they also robbed the club of tens of millions of pounds.  Having said that I doubt you'd find a Newcastle fan who thought they were shit until Shepherd took over himsellf.

Robbed the club of tens of millions? You should be careful what you say, mate. Making allegations of criminal activity isn't a very wise thing to do on a public forum.

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Thinking a film started well means you have to stand by the whole film being good, even if it ended weakly.  Conversely, expressing the opinion that it ended weakly means you think it was all shite.  There is no way for them to reconcile having two opinions about the same thing at different time periods.

Such a pretentious comment. Was that a team effort with your class-mates?

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Some people feel the need to elevate their opinion of themselves by continually proving how 'stupid' everybody else is, over and over.

Still posting on a forum of a club you don't support, I see. I don't care what you think of me or the club I support.

I'm pretty sure Ashley didn't do any of what I asked; run the club sensibly (allowed wage bill to bloat further and then refuse transfers - not that sensible) and with ambition (def not). A small amount of speculation (made a profit on transfers...nope, no speculation) and cut the dead wood (brought more in than he's shipped out). Get in a manager who you trust (didn't do that) and back them (def not).

No, he wasn't. He wasn't lambasted much at all until Keegan quit and we noticed the promised investment in the squad amounted to leaving us one player short compared to the previous season. Running the club "sensibly" does not mean turning it into a selling club.

He was rightly lambasted for not investing and backing Keegan in January. We needed investment in that window but got away with it.