RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barry Moat has been trying to drum up more and more investment from further and further afield. He hasn't had much luck locally and is now speaking to some American fella (I don't know who but I know he has links to one of the franchises in American sport) to try and get him onside. He is desperate to get the dosh together but as it stands he is getting desperate and it's not looking good.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Barry Moat has been trying to drum up more and more investment from further and further afield. He hasn't had much luck locally and is now speaking to some American fella (I don't know who but I know he has links to one of the franchises in American sport) to try and get him onside. He is desperate to get the dosh together but as it stands he is getting desperate and it's not looking good.

Newcastle Redbull All-Stars!

Newcastle Redbull All-Stars!

Newcastle Redbullshit All-Stars  ;D

today is the day folks!

today eh ?

Cover me with shades of disbelief

Can happiness be someone's else's dream

Numbers call to spell my name

Move about as values change

Catch me if you can

But don't delay

Today, today

It's a dream away

Governed by the title on the wall

Commit me to a life within a fool

Happiness can often bleed

Beggars lay among the sheep

Let me take the choice

The sermon pleads

Today today

It's a dream away

Visions in my cell begin to breed

Was everything a fact of what I'd read

Excuse me while I spell my name

Boat and ship could sound the same

Catch me if you can

But don't delay

Today today

It's a dream away

Belle Malissima

Today today

It's a dream away

Just reading about Cheryl Cole wishing she had the money to buy us.

Honestly, A: It wouldn't surprise me if she did, B: I think it would be great, we'd easily have the sexiest chairperson football has ever seen.

Fat Freddie -> Fat Ashley -> Cheryl Cole.  :smitten:

Linda Block has nothing on ours.

Just reading about Cheryl Cole wishing she had the money to buy us.

Honestly, A: It wouldn't surprise me if she did, B: I think it would be great, we'd easily have the sexiest chairperson football has ever seen.

Fat Freddie -> Fat Ashley -> Cheryl Cole.  :smitten:

Linda Block has nothing on ours.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,57007.msg1532114.html#msg1532114

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/09/george-caulkinwhen-you-say-its-gonna-happen-now-well-when-exactly-do-you-meanthe-smiths-how-soon-is-nowno-prizes-for.html

September 08, 2009

Frenzy removed from Newcastle as takeover talks continue

George Caulkin

When you say it's gonna happen now, Well, when exactly do you mean?

The Smiths, How Soon Is Now.

No prizes for guessing the subject of this column, then (although any excuse to quote The Smiths). Having not written about Newcastle United’s ownership - past, present or future - for all of 23 minutes, the cravings are kicking in, a longing, an itch, a need which requires satiating. It's like the most pernicious sort of bad habit, hateful and all-devouring.

The good news is that Newcastle no longer feels like a club in stasis. It is, of course. Utterly. It just no longer feels like it. And that's because in spite of the unpromising circumstances, the team have gelled and won matches, Chris Hughton has bought Mike Ashley time and the transfer window, such a source of disillusion and uncertainly, has now closed until January.

Those three things have removed the frenzy, the restlessness that engulfed St James' Park over the summer. It does not take an overactive imagination to ponder how poisonous the atmosphere might have been if Newcastle had lost a few games, if Hughton had proved incapable of steadying a listing ship or if players were still leeching out of the club.

But - and this is a deeply relative concept; it is Newcastle we’re discussing - a form of stability has settled on Gallowgate. All the old questions are still pertinent, from who is taking the strategic, long-term decisions at the club, to all the issues connected to coaching, management, scouting and buying, but at least the first-team has allowed everybody else to take a deep breath.

See I’ve already waited too long, And all my hope is gone.

They’re still talking, still bartering, still bashing away. Ashley and Barry Moat, the man who would be king at Newcastle, remain in takeover negotiations. Moat, the Tyneside entrepreneur, is the preferred bidder of Seymour Pierce, the investment bank which Ashley hired to sell the club and, to all intents and purposes, is the only likely new owner, in the short-term at least.

There have been a myriad of other names and nationalities. Some have been attention-seekers, pure and simple. Others may have had sound intentions, but none aside from Moat have been able to provide evidence to Seymour Pierce that they have the wherewithal to buy Newcastle and even for him, it has been a struggle. He has raised money and a substantial amount of it, but will it be enough?

Ashley, who has consistently demanded £100m for a club on which he has spent in excess of £250m, has always had his doubts. But, to repeat, the two men are talking and, with the gentle encouragement of Keith Harris, Seymour Pierce’s executive chairman, they are often doing so directly and without antagonism. Still at issue are the price and the mechanism for how any deal will be structured.

Theoretically, it could all be over very quickly, provided Ashley agrees to the figures in front of him or if Moat can make up the shortfall in his financial plans between Newcastle’s previous £40m overdraft and the £10m which Barclays are content to allow a Coca Cola Championship club. As things stand, neither of those things have quite happened.

But what, after all this time, can they still be talking about? It is a reasonable question, but these things, by their very nature, can be horrendously complicated, unless you’re dealing with individuals so rich (as at Chelsea, Manchester City and, lest we forget, Newcastle when Ashley cornered Freddy Shepherd, the former chairman), that you can subvert the normal order of things.

The specifics are opaque, but here are a few examples. As is now common City practise, Moat is understood to be borrowing money from Ashley himself to fund the prospective takeover. How much and under what conditions? How much is Ashley willing to take as a down-payment and how much will be deferred? Would there be a bonus if Newcastle are promoted in May?

You shut your mouth, How can you say, I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, Just like everybody else does.

Ashley is pivotal. He is also a maverick and a gambler. At any stage, there is always the possibility that he will change his mind, click his fingers and remove Newcastle from the market. He has done it before. And with every victory his stripped-down side amass, there must be internal calculations going on: if the club returns immediately to the Barclays Premier League, its paper value will effectively double.

And yet people close to him insist that the sportswear retailer has gone too far beyond the point of no return to willingly come back. All his nominal deadlines about proof of funds have elapsed without firm resolution and having failed to announce his decision to carry on in situ after the transfer window shut, there seems little point doing so now. He wants out.

What has helped matters is that over the course of the last four months, Newcastle’s wage bill has been more than halved and money has been brought in through player sales. For their three home league games to date, they have an enjoyed an average attendance of almost 40,000, which is significantly above Moat’s business model. Simultaneously, this makes things more relaxed and, for Moat, more viable.

For now, they can and should be left to get on with it. This being Newcastle, we all understand that things could feasibly go very, very wrong very, very quickly – and the small size of the first-team squad remains a source of genuine concern - but the reality of this season has so far proved much better than anticipated. It has also been very different.

Hughton, who has previously shown little inclination for management, has got on with his job with quiet professionalism. Players such as Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan who, at the end of last season, looked like anti-footballers, have rediscovered themselves and embraced the challenge. Without a figurehead such as Alan Shearer, a collective has been built. The team is everything.

Ashley’s regime has brought nothing but harm to Newcastle, but the worst fears of many – this column amongst them – in the aftermath of demotion, have not been realised. Supporters, by and large, have not deserted them. The spine of the side, fitness permitting, is superior to most of their rivals. Until it either happens or doesn’t happen, treatment is being sought for the addiction; no more takeover talk here.*

*We’ll end with another Smiths reference: Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before.

Interesting article, keeps that  faint glimmer of hope alive. George Caulkin is probably the only journalist I trust when writing about us.

From .com

"At the risk of being roundly ridiculed, we're given to understand that dialogue between the club, Seymour Pierce, Barclays Bank and Barry Moat continues

No deadlines, no confirmation (and still no idea who Moat represents) but worth mentioning, if only to confirm that there seems to be less concern over the club's overdraft - which was in line to be reduced by last week"

Can't see the point of the article, it's just a gist, a filler to keep things ticking over 'cos they've got nowt else to write about. Basically, a repeat of everything we already know, a total waste of space.

Journalists are generally scum imo. Ashley must have been one in his last life andnow he's a leech, which is how journalists come back second time around.

If i had asked you to sum up the situation you could re-draft for weeks and never come close to that.

Caulkin is a fucking star, the only journalist who still sticks up for us. Henry Winter used to be on our side too but alas he only covers big games.

If i had asked you to sum up the situation you could re-draft for weeks and never come close to that.

Caulkin is a fucking star, the only journalist who still sticks up for us. Henry Winter used to be on our side too but alas he only covers big games.

Didn't say I could, mate. I just don't see the point. Fed up of 'em all and couldn't care whether they all hate us or not, tbh.

Didn't say I could, mate. I just don't see the point. Fed up of 'em all and couldn't care whether they all hate us or not, tbh.

I think it's nice to have someone writing about us in a nicer light, without the bile and hate and with some intelligence.

It tells us nothing different apart from there's at least one person out there worth reading/listening too, and when any facts comes his way they'll be displayed fairly and evenly and without biased.