RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trouble is, the Keegan issue is closely linked with the ownership issue, even now. It was Keegan's walkout and the aftermath which initially prompted Ashley to try and sell, and the ensuing instability led to relegation. It's the fact that so many fans hold Ashley entirely responsible for this mess that has led to him baling out. His handling of the Keegan situation is the main reason why his competence and suitability for ownership is held in question by so many.

However, I do feel that the longer the current situation carries on, the less sense it makes for Ashley to go. The only interest has been shown by people who clearly don't have anything like Ashley's financial muscle. The pressure for Ashley to go often feels like his punishment rather than a rational step. Are we really going to better off in the long term under a cash-strapped local businessman?

I know it's unrealistic in the current atmosphere, but I'd have rather seen Ashley given the chance to learn from his mistakes and carry on.

Did he not have such an opportunity in May but decided to put the club up for sale yet again making the same old mistakes and if the clubs not sold soon have we just more of the same from him to look forward to in January/Summer 2010?

Ashley is never going to invest in the team. He needs to go as quickly as possible

Trouble is, the Keegan issue is closely linked with the ownership issue, even now. It was Keegan's walkout and the aftermath which initially prompted Ashley to try and sell, and the ensuing instability led to relegation. It's the fact that so many fans hold Ashley entirely responsible for this mess that has led to him baling out. His handling of the Keegan situation is the main reason why his competence and suitability for ownership is held in question by so many.

However, I do feel that the longer the current situation carries on, the less sense it makes for Ashley to go. The only interest has been shown by people who clearly don't have anything like Ashley's financial muscle. The pressure for Ashley to go often feels like his punishment rather than a rational step. Are we really going to better off in the long term under a cash-strapped local businessman?

I know it's unrealistic in the current atmosphere, but I'd have rather seen Ashley given the chance to learn from his mistakes and carry on.

Did he not have such an opportunity in May but decided to put the club up for sale yet again making the same old mistakes and if the clubs not sold soon have we just more of the same from him to look forward to in January/Summer 2010?

Ashley is never going to invest in the team. He needs to go as quickly as possible

Someone should let him know and I'm sure he'll do the decent and and proper thing....

Someone should let him know and I'm sure he'll do the the decent and and proper thing....

http://chattahbox.com/images/2009/03/hari-kari.jpg

?

Someone should let him know and I'm sure he'll do the the decent and and proper thing....

http://chattahbox.com/images/2009/03/hari-kari.jpg

?

:lol:  Although its possible Ashley might not see it that way tbh.

HTL and NG

Looks like there has been further interesting discussion overnight (aussie time) that I missed.

Firstly, I was interested in HTLs comments about the feeling of the place. Whilst I agree to a certain extent, that being closer to the source of a problem, can enlighten issues further, in the times of modern technology, this does not really apply any longer, especially at NUFC. I would think that 99.9% of supporters living in and around Tyneside are just as much left in the dark about the problems associated with the club over the past 12 months as us supporters far away.

Secondly, having followed the club for more years than I can remember and having connections with the club since I was a youngster, people might be a little surprised at who and what some of us supporters far away might know. It would be very foolish to suppose that we know noithing, just because we are 10,000 miles away.

Thirdly, whilst this has been an excellent discussion in my opinion, although sometimes degenerating to name calling, there should be a mutual respect by all concerned at the opinions of others without resorting to name calling. It would lead to better discussion and understanding of the situation and viewpoints of all concerned. Those who find the discussion boring, can move on to other threads without commenting.

Finally, I apologise if some on here feel that what I say is meant to look like the truth, the whole truth and nothong but the truth. It is my opinions, based on information, readily available and some information accessed privately, resulting in what I believe to be a fair appraisal of the entire situation. I dont expect everyone to agree with my opinions but for what it is worth, it has lead to an interesting discussion with several people on here who have the interests of the club at heart, whether these people be in Gosforth, Yorkshire or Melbourne.

I agree that too many people on here have looked upon Keegan as a God for too long, based purely on his 5 years period in the 90s when he spent just as much, if not more, than other managers around at the time. That was all history when he came back.

Whether Ashley has gone back on promises to KK or not, is immaterial in this discussion. As some once else pointed out earlier in this thread, how many other managers would have spat the dummy because he couldnt get the owner to buy him a left back? I would say, virtually none. I dont buy the argument from KK about Denis Wise involvement either. As far as I recall, KK admitted he knew Wise was going to be appointed  before he came back.

I have no doubts at all that Keegan's ego mplayed a huge part in this whole saga and the biggest mistake Ashley made was appointing a so called fans favourite who would ultimately use his popularity with the fans to try and gain the ascendancy in the club.

Lets be honest here, whereever Keegan has gone in the past, he has not been able to operate without substantial funds and it has been clear for long enough now that the financial state of the club, even before Keegan came back, has been horrendous and needed to be addressed without any further financial deterioration. Keegan wanted his slice, the club could not afford it, Keegan spat his usual dummy and now, we are paying for the consequences. I hope Ashley wins his case againast Keegan, because KK neither deserves or warrants any financial compensation for his role in this whole saga. He should be ashamed of himself. a real bloody con man, if ever I saw one. AND YOU SUPPORTERS MAY HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

More tripe.

Your far flung location sees you detached from reality but really, there is no excuse given the power of the internet.

When Keegan was appointed by fat ash the reality is that people saw him as a manager with some talent who may turn the team into a decent one and who may see us up near the top 6 or so and looking like challengers. Babbling on the way you do about Keegan being seen as a god or something merely goes to show your knowledge of the club and it's supporters is limited to what you read in the media.

Love the reference to YOU SUPPORTERS by the way. That tells a story. I suggest you stick to stuff about australia and leave the Newcastle stuff to those more clued up.

A rather angry and irrational response which rather confirms what macca was saying. Keegan has a status which, in many people's eyes, puts him beyond criticism.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him described as a 'legend'. I've also found that when you criticise the man, the response is often one of moral outrage, as though you'd pissed on the steps of the Vatican rather than made an observation about a human being who is as flawed as the rest of us.

Not his first though, is it?  Anyone who doesn't agree with him is talking 'tripe' and anyone who lives in Australia (including myself), has to bow to his superior knowledge of all things NUFC.

What a wonderful person to go for a pint before the match with  :fool:

:laugh:

Can't say I've ever noticed you. Who are you?

You won't know this, but people who go to the match disagree, so disagreeing with someone is nowt to do with whether or not someone like you or your mate are in australia, it's more to do with the content of posts made, which exhibit a huge degree of ignorance....or tripe, about Newcastle United.  :idiot2:

Sorry, didn't realise that I needed to have over 100 posts to disagree with you (which we have done in the past over Shepherd). Please let us know your recognition scheme in the future.

The bit in bold...you're making yourself look a bit more of a prick now, you see, I only moved to Australia in Jan this year and had been going to the matches since '82, So I know all about disagreeing, just not in your usual way of completely putting down the other persons point of view.

If it's got nowt to do with macca being in Australia, why did you bring it up and use it against him?

I'll not be expecting a straight answer.

f***ing loon.

You again.  :facepalm:

Mate, I've said nowt about 100 posts. Making stuff up is a bad sign.

If you've been going to matches since 1982 and have recently moved to australia I'm sure you will agree it's much more difficult to maintain a decent grip on what is happening in Newcastle. Macca has lived in australia for years, my point is that he does not have a proper idea of "the feeling" about the club, Ashley or Keegan and it comes across in the content of his posts. His view is based on incomplete information and that is due in some measure to his location. That you find it insulting that I mention is a laugh. Are you going to claim someone on the other side of Planet Earth has the same "feel" for what is happening in Newcastle as those living there or going there on a regular basis?

I've lived abroad as well, so think carefully before you reply. You lied at the top of your last post so I won't be surprised if you do so again.

I'm thinking carefully and did not lie.

I don't think it's hard to keep up to date. I have the internet, lots of mates who go and watch the matches.

Apologies for not actually being 'there' and having the 'feeling'.

You're talking tripe now.

Mate, You completely misunderstand.

You don't need to apologise to me for anything, let alone for not going to matches, for not being "there" and for not having the "feeling". I don't give a s**** what you think.

Why are you replying then?

Nice sentiment, but given the numerous mistakes I'd suggest Ashley doesn't even recognise when he's made one, let alone learn from it.

HTL and NG

Looks like there has been further interesting discussion overnight (aussie time) that I missed.

Firstly, I was interested in HTLs comments about the feeling of the place. Whilst I agree to a certain extent, that being closer to the source of a problem, can enlighten issues further, in the times of modern technology, this does not really apply any longer, especially at NUFC. I would think that 99.9% of supporters living in and around Tyneside are just as much left in the dark about the problems associated with the club over the past 12 months as us supporters far away.

Secondly, having followed the club for more years than I can remember and having connections with the club since I was a youngster, people might be a little surprised at who and what some of us supporters far away might know. It would be very foolish to suppose that we know noithing, just because we are 10,000 miles away.

Thirdly, whilst this has been an excellent discussion in my opinion, although sometimes degenerating to name calling, there should be a mutual respect by all concerned at the opinions of others without resorting to name calling. It would lead to better discussion and understanding of the situation and viewpoints of all concerned. Those who find the discussion boring, can move on to other threads without commenting.

Finally, I apologise if some on here feel that what I say is meant to look like the truth, the whole truth and nothong but the truth. It is my opinions, based on information, readily available and some information accessed privately, resulting in what I believe to be a fair appraisal of the entire situation. I dont expect everyone to agree with my opinions but for what it is worth, it has lead to an interesting discussion with several people on here who have the interests of the club at heart, whether these people be in Gosforth, Yorkshire or Melbourne.

Ian

I've nowt against you mate. If you were across here I'd be quite happy to buy you a beer. That's for one. Second, I am not in the least bothered by the location of anybody, despite the comment by your "mate" earlier on. I think it's difficult for someone to get a real feel for what is going on from so far away. You disagree and you're entitled to that. I think you're wrong and I'm entitled to that. I also don't live in Newcastle and haven't done for years, I think that makes it difficult for me, despite technology. It is not the same as being there all the time. 

I didn't say you know nowt.

I have respect for most people and that includes you, there are only a couple I find myself laughing at before I've even read what they post.  That may not be fair, but it's the truth and as there are only a couple from the huge number of members, I'd suggest it's down to them and what they've posted in the past.

The thing about posts you make, and those of some others who have an irrational hatred for Keegan and Fred, is what seems to be the outright lies used in attempt to justify the hatred. When people respond with genuine information to dispute the lies, the posts are ignored completely, there is no "debate." An example of this in my view is the repeated reference over the years to Keegan throwing away a 12 point lead. This is a media myth, yet you and others continue to peddle this myth as though it's fact. You've repeated this myth a number of times now to the point it can seem to be one of your major gripes with Keegan, yet it's not even true. There is one member continually moaning about Fred spending too much money on players then also moans about the club not lashing out millions in summer 2003, having spent over £40million in the previous two years, or whatever time period it was. It's rather pathetic and it's this kind of stuff that leads to a lack of respect and kills debate in my opinion.

Finally, I don't resort to name-calling either, that's the thing for some other members but not me.

I'm dropping it now, so cheers anyway.

I agree that too many people on here have looked upon Keegan as a God for too long, based purely on his 5 years period in the 90s when he spent just as much, if not more, than other managers around at the time. That was all history when he came back.

Whether Ashley has gone back on promises to KK or not, is immaterial in this discussion. As some once else pointed out earlier in this thread, how many other managers would have spat the dummy because he couldnt get the owner to buy him a left back? I would say, virtually none. I dont buy the argument from KK about Denis Wise involvement either. As far as I recall, KK admitted he knew Wise was going to be appointed  before he came back.

I have no doubts at all that Keegan's ego mplayed a huge part in this whole saga and the biggest mistake Ashley made was appointing a so called fans favourite who would ultimately use his popularity with the fans to try and gain the ascendancy in the club.

Lets be honest here, whereever Keegan has gone in the past, he has not been able to operate without substantial funds and it has been clear for long enough now that the financial state of the club, even before Keegan came back, has been horrendous and needed to be addressed without any further financial deterioration. Keegan wanted his slice, the club could not afford it, Keegan spat his usual dummy and now, we are paying for the consequences. I hope Ashley wins his case againast Keegan, because KK neither deserves or warrants any financial compensation for his role in this whole saga. He should be ashamed of himself. a real bloody con man, if ever I saw one. AND YOU SUPPORTERS MAY HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

More tripe.

Your far flung location sees you detached from reality but really, there is no excuse given the power of the internet.

When Keegan was appointed by fat ash the reality is that people saw him as a manager with some talent who may turn the team into a decent one and who may see us up near the top 6 or so and looking like challengers. Babbling on the way you do about Keegan being seen as a god or something merely goes to show your knowledge of the club and it's supporters is limited to what you read in the media.

Love the reference to YOU SUPPORTERS by the way. That tells a story. I suggest you stick to stuff about australia and leave the Newcastle stuff to those more clued up.

A rather angry and irrational response which rather confirms what macca was saying. Keegan has a status which, in many people's eyes, puts him beyond criticism.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him described as a 'legend'. I've also found that when you criticise the man, the response is often one of moral outrage, as though you'd pissed on the steps of the Vatican rather than made an observation about a human being who is as flawed as the rest of us.

Not his first though, is it?  Anyone who doesn't agree with him is talking 'tripe' and anyone who lives in Australia (including myself), has to bow to his superior knowledge of all things NUFC.

What a wonderful person to go for a pint before the match with  :fool:

Can't say I've ever noticed you. Who are you?

You won't know this, but people who go to the match disagree, so disagreeing with someone is nowt to do with whether or not someone like you or your mate are in australia, it's more to do with the content of posts made, which exhibit a huge degree of ignorance....or tripe, about Newcastle United.  :idiot2:

Sorry, didn't realise that I needed to have over 100 posts to disagree with you (which we have done in the past over Shepherd). Please let us know your recognition scheme in the future.

The bit in bold...you're making yourself look a bit more of a prick now, you see, I only moved to Australia in Jan this year and had been going to the matches since '82, So I know all about disagreeing, just not in your usual way of completely putting down the other persons point of view.

If it's got nowt to do with macca being in Australia, why did you bring it up and use it against him?

I'll not be expecting a straight answer.

f***ing loon.

You again.  :facepalm:

Mate, I've said nowt about 100 posts. Making stuff up is a bad sign.

If you've been going to matches since 1982 and have recently moved to australia I'm sure you will agree it's much more difficult to maintain a decent grip on what is happening in Newcastle. Macca has lived in australia for years, my point is that he does not have a proper idea of "the feeling" about the club, Ashley or Keegan and it comes across in the content of his posts. His view is based on incomplete information and that is due in some measure to his location. That you find it insulting that I mention is a laugh. Are you going to claim someone on the other side of Planet Earth has the same "feel" for what is happening in Newcastle as those living there or going there on a regular basis?

I've lived abroad as well, so think carefully before you reply. You lied at the top of your last post so I won't be surprised if you do so again.

I'm thinking carefully and did not lie.

I don't think it's hard to keep up to date. I have the internet, lots of mates who go and watch the matches.

Apologies for not actually being 'there' and having the 'feeling'.

You're talking tripe now.

Mate, You completely misunderstand.

You don't need to apologise to me for anything, let alone for not going to matches, for not being "there" and for not having the "feeling". I don't give a s**** what you think.

Why are you replying then?

omg

I'd say the build up to and our relegation from the Premiership was far more of a reason.

I'd say the build up to and our relegation from the Premiership was far more of a reason.

Surely not. How can that be? The one and only reason is obviously his treatment of God, nobody really cares much about the club ahead of the Messiah, after all.  :cheesy:

Ashley's had two chances to learn from his mistakes, and failed miserably with both. The first one was last September he could have admitted he ballsed up, got rid of Wise, and either restored Keegan or a full-time manager (like Spurs did with Ramos, got rid of Comolli and brought in Redknapp), and even after relegation he could have held his hands up and admitted his mistakes, and committed to getting us up by giving Shearer the job...he didn't do that either and instead put us up for sale again.

There's no chance he'll run this club like a proper owner.

Ashley's had two chances to learn from his mistakes, and failed miserably with both. The first one was last September he could have admitted he ballsed up, got rid of Wise, and either restored Keegan or a full-time manager (like Spurs did with Ramos, got rid of Comolli and brought in Redknapp), and even after relegation he could have held his hands up and admitted his mistakes, and committed to getting us up by giving Shearer the job...he didn't do that either and instead put us up for sale again.

There's no chance he'll run this club like a proper owner.

I think his inactivity after JFK's heart attack is one of the key mistakes he made. We were allowed to meander along for far too long without leadership before he acted, and dropped too many points.