How bad will it get?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Depends on if/when the sale happens. If we keep our defence (Bassong, Beye, S.Taylor & Enrique) I think we'll do well in the Championship. As someone else pointed out, Kevin Phillips scores goals for fun in the Championship. Chopra also. Surely we'll have a squad that can do that?

if we keep Taylor, Enrique, Bassong and Beye (we'll keep at least 3 of those imo) then that's half the battle won. Guthrie could absolutely shine in the championship, same goes for Carroll, Xisco and possibly Jonas. We'll need to buy 4 attacking players but with the funds from the sale of Oba, Colo etc but this shouldn't prove too much of a problem.

Straight back up

I'm going down this route.

Guest Phil K

My own belief is we'll take a season to get organized after the rats like Owen have left the sunken ship.

So I voted spend maybe 2 seasons in Chumpionship, then promoted maybe via Play-Offs.

THEN get a chance to strengthen PROPERLY and not with overpriced-convieniently-injured-all-the-time-helicopter-using-ars*holes or couldn't-give-a-fart foreigners and just employ english/scots/irish/welsh and maybe a few up and coming foreigners - no bankroll foreigners as we have been (Beye excepted of course).

Before thuis weekend I was pretty confident that we would come straight back up however Ashley has contrived to make things even worse. I think we'll now suffer a similar fate to the previous times we've been relegated, a prolonged stint in the second flight of English football.

At this moment in time, I just can not see a light at the end of the tunnel. It's amazing that one man could fuck things up so much.

The sale might well drag on for two months etc...Even with a quick sale (3-4 weeks) there is no guarantee that AS will be part of the plan and new owners will take a least a month to work out where they are going financially and football wise.

I know we've grown to expect incompetent dawdling over the years but if the new owners aren't idiots we shouldn't expect this at all.  They should have a plan and the money to do it all setup before they even come in.

I can't see us coming straight back up now. As Shearer himself said, the other teams in the Championship (and probably Boro and WBA who were pretty much doomed to be relegated) will have been planning for 2009/10 for weeks if not months now. We still don't have a fucking manager.

The problem is that if we don't come straight back up it may mean we're destined to be a yo-yo club without a ultra-rich sugar daddy.

Not sure I get you're point there, why would not coming straight back up make us a yoyo club?  There's no way we could ever turn into a yoyo club, we'll either stay down for years or we'll get back in and stay in.

Gotta get a fans' consortium sorted out, go Barca/Real style now because that's the only way this club becomes relatively self-sufficient in the short-run.

Isn't the problem that people want an owner that will be able to put money into the club (i.e not Ashley or Freddy), wouldn't a fans' consortium do just the opposite?

We wouldn't be able to plug the club with money if needed, which it probably would. I don't see the parachute payment and the money from player sales being enough to stablise us.

That really depends on how many members we could get.  If we could get enough it could pay for the club and leave enough for an initial cash injection to keep things going until the wage bill is slashed.  Plus there could be a small voting fee every term which is held for transfer fee's or something, I'm sure as a collective we could find extra money from somewhere if we knew we had a much bigger say in how it would be spent.

A yo-yo club as in a certainty to go straight back down again. I think unless we get back into the Premier League as soon as possible we're likely to go the way of Southamption, Norwich, Charlton, Leeds, you name it.

Why do you think it's impossible?

A yo-yo club as in a certainty to go straight back down again. I think unless we get back into the Premier League as soon as possible we're likely to go the way of Southamption, Norwich, Charlton, Leeds, you name it.

With the exception of Leeds, none of those clubs have the resources that we have. They punched above their weight in the prem, much like Stoke, Hull and wigan are doing right now.

Leeds of course are a unique case and even when they were in the prem didn't come close to matching our revenue, barring the one year they got in the CL.

I've seen this arguement before but you are really comparing apples to oranges when you bring in the names of those clubs.

What will stop us from going straight back up is Ashley's lunacy tbh, nothing more, if he sells fast and the new people  come in with a realistic view on events then we'll go straight back up I'm sure. However the likelihood is we'll see a prolonged period of instability and the new owners will not be in place until well after the transfer window has closed, and they'll prove to be more interested in reducing costs than buying a ticket to win the lottery, if they be in at all.

What resources? Our big stadium will count for nothing over those clubs when it's half-empty.

It's not going to be half empty Dave. That's nonesense, we'll still be in the the top 5 attendances in the whole of the country, I'm pretty sure about that.

What resources? Our big stadium will count for nothing over those clubs when it's half-empty.

It's not going to be half empty Dave. That's nonesense, we'll still be in the the top 5 attendances in the whole of the country, I'm pretty sure about that.

I hope you're right, but I'm unconvinced we'll continue to have such an advantage over our new competitors. Particularly if we don't go back up soon. Which was kinda my point.

It doesn't even matter if you are a well run club (I know we aren't), it is almost impossible for even Everton and Villa (very well run) to compete. Personally I'd like to see a limit on loans, transfer budget caps (50M), squad size (Liv have 62). The PL and the CL are no longer competitions worthy of the name.

I absolutely agree on all counts.

Guest gggg

With the exception of Leeds, none of those clubs have the resources that we have. They punched above their weight in the prem, much like Stoke, Hull and wigan are doing right now.

Having more resources than Charlton, Wigan, Fulham, Portsmouth, and others didn't stop the mackems from being a yo-yo club.

how bad can it get? are we any different to Darlo,we don't own the ground,not sure whether we own the training facility our assets are the players and a few are now out of contract, are weon the brink of administration with a deal dne at the last minute.

we'll come straight back.......

....after taking maybe 2 or 3 or more seasons in the champonship......

.......or lower.....

........after coming back from the administrators

It doesn't even matter if you are a well run club (I know we aren't), it is almost impossible for even Everton and Villa (very well run) to compete. Personally I'd like to see a limit on loans, transfer budget caps (50M), squad size (Liv have 62). The PL and the CL are no longer competitions worthy of the name.

What puts all this into perspective is that Everton DOUBLED NUFC's turnover in the figures released today -

even Fulham and Wigan did better than NUFC....a sobering lesson for those still claiming that NUFC are 'a big club'.. we finished TWELFTH in Prem t/over....

I plumped for 3+ years in the Fizzy - an unless a really decent takeover happens quickly, I stand by that.

What puts all this into perspective is that Everton DOUBLED NUFC's turnover in the figures released today -

even Fulham and Wigan did better than NUFC....a sobering lesson for those still claiming that NUFC are 'a big club'.. we finished TWELFTH in Prem t/over....

I plumped for 3+ years in the Fizzy - an unless a really decent takeover happens quickly, I stand by that.

I don't think the club can handle more than one and at the extreme two seasons in the Championship. The longer we stay out the less chance there is of EVER getting back.

how bad can it get? are we any different to Darlo,we don't own the ground,not sure whether we own the training facility our assets are the players and a few are now out of contract, are weon the brink of administration with a deal dne at the last minute.

We don't own the free hold to the land, the ground is owned by the club and the land is on leasehold like many other properties. We are no where near being on the brink of administrration and nothing like Darlington at all.

Scaremongering nonsense tbh.

We don't own the free hold to the land, the ground is owned by the club and the land is on leasehold like many other properties. We are no where near being on the brink of administrration and nothing like Darlington at all.

Scaremongering nonsense tbh.

:thup:

Not really Ian I've seen us relegated 3 times and this current bunch is a shower of shit compared to the other two times.

Each time we have spent a good few seasons outside the top division so there is nothing to suggest we will bounce straight back or even not drop down a further division.

It's not what I hope for it's just the way I see it playing out. :(

Guest westamfan

Players will leave

No manager to bring in new players

Whoever will come in is guarenteed to be a 'yes man' who will not mind seeing all the best players leave while he struggles to replace them

You've only got until September to prepare your squad for the championship remember.

Tough season, well tough 6 months at least with that total idiot Ashley if he is still there. Hopefully he'll be gone by xmas and you guys will be in the top top to push on for the last part for promotion.