The England Thread

Pilko

Ok my memory did fail me ( i did say :)) but he did say something about disabled people having done something wrong in another life and that's why they are disabled. Still unforgivable in my opinion.

This was the exact Hoddle quote:

"My beliefs have evolved in the last eight or nine years, that the spirit has to come back again, that is nothing new, that has been around for thousands of years. You have to come back to learn and face some of the things you have done, good and bad. There are too many injustices around."

"You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap."

"You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around."

That quote is actually fine if he really believes in Karma, all religious people believe a lot of stuff that is highly offensive to reason. Difference is he was England manager and they usually keep quite about absolutely anything interesting or debatable.

It's a shame as, since SBR really, Hoddle's been the best candidate. We really had a chance in 1998, and I don't think we have since.

Was anyone on here really incensed by what he said? I think it's an interesting theory.

It's a shame as, since SBR really, Hoddle's been the best candidate. We really had a chance in 1998, and I don't think we have since.

Was anyone on here really incensed by what he said? I think it's an interesting theory.

We were always going to be behind France, Brazil & Holland that year. All 3 were brilliant.

Well as alexf's reaction suggests, many people thought that he'd said "disabled people will go to hell". I don't think it's an interesting theory at all, it's clearly nonsense, but it might have been consistent with his worldview. The main issue with it is if he subsequently ill-treated anyone with some form of disability.

Either way, like most, I think he'd do a pretty good job as a tactical manager, but not this Summer. It's all fairly irrelevant though until we produce better footballers.

Did we? Sneak past Argentina and we'd have faced Holland in quarters who probably had the best squad in the tournament. Even if we'd have won the group we'd have faced Croatia who knocked out Romania, thrashed Germany and gave France a good game.

Even in some alternative universe I can't see Hoddle's team getting any further than Sven's.

Our best chance was in 2006. Had we had a genuine top striker in the team (and Rooney kept his head) we could easily have won it.

Wouldn't agree with "easily" but with an on-form Rooney/Owen striker partnership these days there would have been a decent chance.

Our best chance was in 2006. Had we had a genuine top striker in the team (and Rooney kept his head) we could easily have won it.

Wouldn't agree with "easily" but with an on-form Rooney/Owen striker partnership these days there would have been a decent chance.

Nah, we saw the best of Rooney/Owen during Euro 04. Rooney doing all the work with Owen being his usal useless self.

SBR wasn't a good England manager. Good campaigns in 86 and 90 were in essence in spite of him not because of.

Sad but true. Club management was his game.

Fair enough but on paper he did well to take that squad almost to a WC final.

SBR wasn't a good England manager. Good campaigns in 86 and 90 were in essence in spite of him not because of.

Sad but true. Club management was his game.

Fair enough but on paper he did well to take that squad almost to a WC final.

In reality though, he did well that Bryan Robson's shoulder popped out for the millionth time, as everybody knew it would, and also Crab Wilkins deciding to throw the ball at the ref and getting first use of the soap, in a dismal 0-0 with World giants of the time, Morocco.

These events meant he couldn't select his favourites, Robson and Wilkins, and so he stumbled upon a side that with a bit of luck could've won it in 86.

In 90, after a miserable Euro finals in 88 where we lost all 3 games, SBR steadfastly refused to change his 4-4-2 system even though we had the players capable of excelling in a 3-5-2 sweeper system. After a dreadful 1-1 draw with Ireland, the players themselves approached SBR, and pleaded for the chance to go 3-5-2 with Mark Wright as the sweeper behind Walker and Butcher, with Parker and Pearce as wing backs.

This left SBR unable to select John Barnes, his new favourite, and therefore with a midfield of Waddle, Gazza and Platt behind Beardo and Lineker, we prospered, firstly as underdogs against the European champs, Holland and throughout the tournament.

His final error as England boss was in the semi against Germany, in extra time with the Germans dead on their feet, SBR should've brought on Steve Bull to try and finish them off, but didn't and the rest as you say, is history.

• 1 month later...
Guest Craig-NUFC

Pearce removed from senior team set up. Hopefully he'll be given the boot completely after the Olympics.