The England Thread

Pilko

Gerrard influenced the game positively far more than Parker did. I'm all for slating Gerrard's indiscipline most of the time and him stealing that chance from Chamberlain at the end was so typical of his style of play but he took responsibility in the game and played well, keeping most of his passing short, sensible and to teammates.

They'll both inevitably get found out completely against Spain or Italy in the quarters though.

Gerrard was so much better tonight than he's been all season for Liverpool. He lost the plot and started smashing ludicrous passes for a bit after we went 2-1 down but thankfully he calmed down again. Should have buried that volley for 4-2 mind.

Guest Phil K

I thought Gerrard was relatively poor in both games as well, but a couple of great passes to set up goals.

Easily our best midfielder in both games.

Young and Milner were atrocious today and Parker was just Parker.

I thought overall Parker was better than Gerrard tonight.

I agree about Milner and Young though, the latter especially was terrible.

Agree about Gerrard.

Notice as per usual Hansen will NOT criticize a Liverpool player - ever notice ?

Shearer did.

Gerrard stoped Alex Oxo-Bovril from having a clear go at goal.

For once, all three on BBC were good. But STILL nothing on the excellent Carragher (who, like Hansen will NOT criticize, even exaggerates the input of a Liverpool player (Johnson AND Carroll) but he was excellent regardless. The other two were very good too.

Young WAS crap BTW. all agreed, as do I)

Can't believe how poor Young has been though. Massively disappointed in him, after the way he's played in qualifying and in friendlies. Really thought he'd be one of our best players this tournament, now he'll be very lucky to start another game.

I've always thought of the cunt to be a proper confident and arrogant sort, but he's just shrank and got worse as the games have gone on.

Johnson made a couple of good challenges but his positioning was absolutely all over the place at times, as expected.

Most of the good challenges he makes need never happen, and his (lack of) awareness of what is around him is astounding.

Johnson made a couple of good challenges but his positioning was absolutely all over the place at times, as expected.

Most of the good challenges he makes need never happen, and his (lack of) awareness of what is around him is astounding.

Aye exactly.

Guest Phil K

Incredulous when Lawro said Johnson had been England's best defender. Not that there was much of a choice.

They were all a joke, but Cole marginally the best (and he was crap) and Lescot

The best defending was done by either Carrol or Gerrard

By the way - anyone catch that Carragher insinuated that when Carroll signed he wasn't a good header in the box ? "Static" ?

Usual "ignore inconvenient history" from Scousers again....

Clearly my tone was wrong. Ibrahimovic clearly isn't "s***", but he was f***ing woeful tonight, as he has been in pretty much every game I've ever seen him play live in. One of those players that you always hear is really good, but every time I watch him I think "is that it?".

You must have been watching a different game tonight like. There were some truly woeful performances in that Sweden team and a couple in the England team but he certainly wasn't one of them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/sweden-v-england-player-ratings-7855213.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/england-v-sweden-player-ratings-211542719.html

He was like. Every time he got the ball he dwelled on it, hogged it, or tried to be too fancy. I can think of four or five occasions in the 2nd half alone where he tried to do it all himself when there were other better placed players. Don't see the fuss personally.

Sure your not confusing him with Elmander? because what your describing is exactly what Elmander did on many occasions tonight.....

And Sewelly, why would I want to see him play badly? I'm clearly not the only one who thinks it too. My twitter feed is full of people criticising his performance.

Well they must be focusing on Ibra too much and not looking at his team mates who let him down big time....

There has been times where Ibra has flattered to decieve but this was'nt one of them imo until England brought on Walcott ( and started to get a stranglehold on the game) i thought Ibra was a class above anything on the pitch everything Sweden was doing was going through him and our defence seemed to struggle to deal with him and he was tossing us around like rag dolls.

Infact this article explains his performance tonight and against Ukraine.... Ibra's performance was fine he was merely let down the poor quality of his team mates.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2898/euro-2012/2012/06/15/3176736/majestic-ibrahimovic-leaves-euros-with-his-head-held-high#

Yes its LOL.com but i feel they hit the nail on the head.

:thup: He put in a good performance, but let's not let that get in the way. The Ibrahimovic bashing is embarrassing and very tedious.

Incredulous when Lawro said Johnson had been England's best defender. Not that there was much of a choice.

Aye exactly.

Was the  classic last ditch tackle from him after being caught out of position.

Massively at fault for the first goal playing everyone onside.

Aye exactly.

Was the  classic last ditch tackle from him after being caught out of position.

Aka "The Carragher"

I enjoyed the game tonight. Really not sure what to make of England, both from a "can they be an effective and decent side?" point of view, as well as a "do i actually support them?" point of view. Think i'm finding it harder to be neutral than i thought it would be, which is a good thing.

Fuck it, bit of a u-turn and i'll hold my hands up as a fickle, but i've got caught up in the fanfare... Howay England! Would love to see them do well, even if the squad is riddled with dickheads. Looking forward to seeing how this team does + Rooney.

Good win tonight even if they did make much harder work of it than they should have. It's the poorest Sweden team they've come up against for as long as i've watched football.

I thought Johnson was awful. The commentators kept on praising him for making interceptions but he was only making those because he was caught out of position in the first place.

Personally I thought Johnson was the worst player on the pitch.

Had a massive argument with somebody in town about this. I totally agree, he was hugely at fault for the goal playing everyone onside by dropping towards the line and was being caught out of position often hence the number of 'look good' last minute tackles.

If I was an opposition manager I'd be hoying my best player down the left and telling him to have fun.

Got fucking soaked in the o2 each time England scored, good atmosphere though.

Gerrard was great with the passing from the highlights but didnt see full game,Milner toss ,Young toss but the future looks bright with the young ones coming through and the spirit looks great from everyone for a change ,like the way Woy has a plan b for a change compared to Fabio so thats a plus  O0

Got to say, Gerrard did have one his best games in ages last night. Two assists in two games, so he's doing something right.

Still a bit too static when it comes to movement mind but guess that's got to be expected with his ageing body/legs as well as our tactics.