The England Thread

Pilko

The thing with Gerrrard so far is that his direct impact on matches has come from the wide areas. Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be worth moving Milner into a shuffling, central midfield water carrier (his best club form in his whole career for me was there) and play Gerrard as a narrow wide midfielder.

The only problem with that is it could lead Johnson exposed, but personally I feel Milner's defensive impact has been massively overplayed.

The thing with Gerrrard so far is that his direct impact on matches has come from the wide areas. Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be worth moving Milner into a shuffling, central midfield water carrier (his best club form in his whole career for me was there) and play Gerrard as a narrow wide midfielder.

The only problem with that is it could lead Johnson exposed, but personally I feel Milner's defensive impact has been massively overplayed.

No chance for the reason you stated plus Gerrard would throw his toys doing the "graveyard shift"

good point but Milner is fucking rank on the ball imo. surely he'll keep his position for the reasons above but i wonder if Oxlade might feature instead of Young, particularly as Roy said he did so well against the imaginary Italians, which was ultimately correct albeit he got the details wrong.

No chance for the reason you stated plus Gerrard would throw his toys.

Aye but that's the thing, he can still influence and run the game from that position. His whole career Gerrard seems to have had this picture in his mind of him being a central midfield general, but his best form for Liverpool came off the striker and he aint ever done it in the centre for England.

good point but Milner is fucking rank on the ball imo. surely he'll keep his position for the reasons above but i wonder if Oxlade might feature instead of Young, particularly as Roy said he did so well against the imaginary Italians, which was ultimately correct albeit he got the details wrong.

True, just think it makes sense to play him in his best position. It would make our CM look fooking horrendous on paper admittedly.

I wonder how much of gerrard's improved discipline in the middle is down to Hodgson and how much is down to the fact his legs have gone. can't run around like a mad man as much as he used to. probably a bit of both.

I would'nt worry about Johnson being exposed due to how narrow Italy are, they are playing like Milan in that aspect all the attacks tend to come through the middle.

Although bringing Milner inside would make the system a bit lop-sided which i doubt Roy would do it would also mean Johnson would have to have the whole wing by himself which i dont see happening either.

Sort of a catch-22 here.... either leave Milner out there and try and exploit the lack of width Italy have or bring Milner inside and try and combat what is Italy's strength.

I know what Roy will do.... 4-4-f*ckin2 but i do understand arguments for both ways.

Are we even sure Italy will be playing 4 at the back btw?

Prandelli has said nowt, deliberately so. De Rossi said likewise - Spain caught them out and they want to do similar.

Are we even sure Italy will be playing 4 at the back btw?

Tbh i'm not even certain they will play 4-3-1-2 as theres been rumours going around they will play 4-3-3 with Giovinco and Cassano either side of Balotelli.

There's quite a few different systems they could with, so all this talk from me about them lacking width could actually be null and void come kick off.

Excited anyway.

I think we will beat Italy. It won't be pretty, it won't be convincing, but I'm sure that we will do it. I think we can hold them at bay for 90 mins while at least once or twice giving them a severe problem resulting in a goal.

After that we are fucked though, our luck and ability will be worn down one way or another, but I think we are strong enough to get to the semis and that is something to be proud of.

Random slightly drunk post about England over.  Night night.

P.S

Please enjoy this picture of weasels.

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/user/boanerges/20080528183601.jpg

"This is a man who has played more than 500 professional matches at the age of 26 and claims to have never allowed a drop of alcohol to pass his lips. What imperious puritan resolve!"

Smifffy was also tee-total.. and he was shi* too.

Gazza/Best/Greaves/McGrath/Robson/Adams/Whiteside/Supermac/Bowles/Merson(oops) all drank like fish and look how good they were.

So which came first, the chicken or the egg ? ( if you get my drift)

I've had a week off and in that time I have been able to watch the Sweden and Ukraine games on top of all the other games as well, now I'm back at work and I miss the match tonight. I'm kind of hoping to be able to record it and no one coming in to tell me the score but thats not going to happen.

its all well and good, saying that milner is there to defend the right back, but there s*** all delivery coimming down the left side. We dont have a proper left sided player, who can beat his man.  WHich means for 60mins we have no proper attack going downthe sides. 

However against italy a game of frustration and smother could be the wayt o go.....if balotelli blows a fuse, rather than breaks the net, we might win.

Prediction: 0-2 to italy