The England Thread

Pilko

Guest TruToon94

Built the whole team around Rooney to accommodate him and him alone. All other players needs were ignored and Rooney missed two easy goals and scored a tap in.

Rooney is a good player. But nowhere good enough to base everything on him unlike Suarez who proved a remarkable gulf. England need to do what is right for the team, not for a single player who isn't World Class. Sterling should be in center, was miles better and Oxade on the left and Barkley on the right would be better.

Can't afford to build a team around a slightly better than average player and I know I'll be slagged off but it's true. A team shouldn't be built around one player unless it's a world class player. Rooney is not world class.

No. Because he got two chances Suarez would have easily scored no questions asked and didn't.  That was tonight. Suarez had two harder chances and scored both.

Ok genuine question. If Rooney got the same exact two chances that Suarez got, do you think he would have scored them or not?

:kinnear:

:dowie:

slightly better than average player

:lol:

Name a single thing he does that is world class.

Oh so does it go from average, to slightly better than average, to world class?

I'm not trutoon94 :lol: but the way Ronaldo keeps banging on about building the team around Rooney does my head in, he simply isn't "the best" at anything he does, even within the England setup.

The future has to be Sterling and Sturridge either side of Rooney. A midfield of Barkley, Lallana and Wilshere or Henderson behind them. No more Stevie knackersyard G.

The defensive is a big issue. Johnson and especially Baines and Jagielka aren't nearly good at this level and I don't see obvious replacements

Got to hope Shaw suddenly turns in to something he's not. Centre back and RB are going to be poor for at least a couple years, probably more.

Hopefully Clyne keeps improving for Southampton

Apparently there is a kid called Chambers at Southampton who they reckon will be England's right back for years to come.  He's captain of England U19s so he is a couple of years away yet.

Built the whole team around Rooney to accommodate him and him alone. All other players needs were ignored and Rooney missed two easy goals and scored a tap in.

Rooney is a good player. But nowhere good enough to base everything on him unlike Suarez who proved a remarkable gulf. England need to do what is right for the team, not for a single player who isn't World Class. Sterling should be in center, was miles better and Oxade on the left and Barkley on the right would be better.

Can't afford to build a team around a slightly better than average player and I know I'll be slagged off but it's true. A team shouldn't be built around one player unless it's a world class player. Rooney is not world class.

No. Because he got two chances Suarez would have easily scored no questions asked and didn't.  That was tonight. Suarez had two harder chances and scored both.

Ok genuine question. If Rooney got the same exact two chances that Suarez got, do you think he would have scored them or not?

:lol: can't really work out your reply because of the fantastic quoting. So you're saying Rooney isn't good enough to finish two chances like Suarez had on a plate like tonight?

I'm not trutoon94 :lol: but the way Ronaldo keeps banging on about building the team around Rooney does my head in, he simply isn't "the best" at anything he does, even within the England setup.

I don't think I've said that in years. He's just the best all round player we have, and the best striker.

Guest TruToon94

:lol: can't really work out your reply because of the fantastic quoting. So you're saying Rooney isn't good enough to finish two chances like Suarez had on a plate like tonight?

Yeah, bit of an accident that...

But seriously that shot from the six yard box, yes Suarez would have finished that easy?

I don't think he's world class, but I think he's the best passer and finisher out of the lot that started tonight.

Real problem for me was poor lack of intensity in  the work areas, 2nd best in midfield to the ball. Like to see the stats on individual inputs. But real desire to make the extra yard was infrequent at best

Guest TruToon94

I don't think he's world class, but I think he's the best passer and finisher out of the lot that started tonight.

How have we figured that out?

I don't think I've said that in years. He's just the best all round player we have, and the best striker.

That's Sturridge these days, Rooney hasn't played as an out-and-out striker since he was what, 20? He is the second best striker you've got though, and I'd definitely play him upfront with Sturridge.

Real problem for me was poor lack of intensity in  the work areas, 2nd best in midfield to the ball. Like to see the stats on individual inputs. But real desire to make the extra yard was infrequent at best

gerrard slow as a donkey and henderson did fuck all ,defence wank through the centre ,Rooney best of a bad bunch

The future has to be Sterling and Sturridge either side of Rooney. A midfield of Barkley, Lallana and Wilshere or Henderson behind them. No more Stevie knackersyard G.

The defensive is a big issue. Johnson and especially Baines and Jagielka aren't nearly good at this level and I don't see obvious replacements

There has been really quite a few excellent Prem division forwards who never really did it at the Int'l tournaments. Rooney is in that catergory.

Certainly NOT one of the 1st names on the England team sheet imo.

Defence i agree with on the whole. Could see Jagielka's place under threat from a couple of CBs tbh.

To me as an outsider your problem seems to be mostly about mentality as opposed to a lack of quality, bad management, the press or whatever reasons are commonly mentioned. Your players are easily good enough, but for some reason the real hunger to go deep in or even win a World or European Championship never seems to be there, and neither does the team spirit. I think the fact that your players win so many trophies for their clubs, are hyped at an early age, and compete with each other fiercely most of the time playing for different clubs makes it harder to mould them into a motivated, balanced squad, with a clear hierarchy amongst the players.

Guest neesy111

The issue really is, Suarez was the difference.  When was the last time we produced the player like Suarez, probably Gazza then theres the problem.  Rooney should of been a world class player on the world class stage but he isn't and the rest are either decent/good/very good but not world class.

It was the fear of the ball for me tonight above all else. You could see Gerrard and Henderson had clearly been asked to sit and shield balls into Suarez' feet, of which there were few, but when we needed an outlet they were rarely seen. Night and day between our approach and Italy's, for instance, and criminal at this level in the centre of your midfield.