The England Thread

Pilko

Clear based on what? Hoddle and Venables did better jobs with inferior squads than Sven and Capello.

That was over 15 years ago, though. Hoddle hasn't managed anywhere since 2006, Venables since 2003. The current crop of English managers is pretty dire.

Clear based on what? Hoddle and Venables did better jobs with inferior squads than Sven and Capello.

That was over 15 years ago, though. Hoddle hasn't managed anywhere since 2006, Venables since 2003. The current crop of English managers is pretty dire.

Hence why we'll either go back to one that was good in his tenure or go abroad. Whenever they dispense with Bungle.

The idea that a foreigner shouldn't manage a country's national team is almost as much of an anachronism as international football itself.

What does this even mean?

The idea that foreigners shouldn't manage a country's national team is dated, and international football itself, as much as I love it, is probably a bit dated as well.

The idea that a foreigner shouldn't manage a country's national team is almost as much of an anachronism as international football itself.

The idea that foreigners shouldn't manage a country's national team is dated, and international football itself, as much as I love it, is probably a bit dated as well.

I know what an anachronism is, and I agree somewhat with the first part I'm just wondering how and why you think international football is dated?

Guest TruToon94

Wish Stevie G would should up. "Need a holiday!", Well he's got an early one considering we pretty much went out due to his errors. Good riddance to bad rubbish soon hopefully.

I know what an anachronism is, and I agree somewhat with the first part I'm just wondering how and why you think international football is dated?

International football had its heyday when footballers, for the most part, played their club football in their own countries. If you were an English footballer, you only got to play against Brazilians once every 4 years, for example.

Maybe it's not accurate for me to say international football is totally an anachronism, because it's arguably more popular in many countries than club football is, especially outside Europe.

The World Cup is still the greatest sporting competition in the world, bar none. And I still love international football. The U.S. is my favorite team, which has a lot to do with the fact that I never had a local club team to identify with. So the only sense of identity I had as a football fan was with my national team.

I'm a fan of Newcastle, but that's something that's really only become possible (i.e. a foreigner with no connection to the city or club becoming a fan) within the past 20 years or so. And I'll never have the connection to the club that people who've grown-up in Newcastle have with it.

I used to think international football was dated, but the more financial inequality increases in club football, with teams that can spend £100m in a window "competing" with clubs that can spend nothing, and with clubs actually being owned by states, the more I see international football as the true competition. It's a test of long term planning and team spirit. It's just a shame FIFA are cunts.

Deuce is right like, foreign fans like him are pure scum that only dampen the chances of their own national team through lack of interest and investment in the product whilst ruining the league the follow as it gets an inflated sense of self worth and due to said interest money driven attitudes from weak FAs take over to the detriment of the overall game ;)

I used to think international football was dated, but the more financial inequality increases in club football, with teams that can spend £100m in a window "competing" with clubs that can spend nothing, and with clubs actually being owned by states, the more I see international football as the true competition. It's a test of long term planning and team spirit. It's just a shame FIFA are cunts.

:thup: Good way of looking at it.

Hoddle wants Gerrard and Lampard in midfield. He was literally begging Gerrard on ITV not to retire, his argument was "look at Pirlo, how old is he".

I saw that and wondered how a in couple more years Gerrard would magically transform into Pirlo.

Hoddle wants Gerrard and Lampard in midfield. He was literally begging Gerrard on ITV not to retire, his argument was "look at Pirlo, how old is he".

I saw that and wondered how a in couple more years Gerrard would magically transform into Pirlo.

I saw that too. Bearing in mind he ended Gazza's international career with no pomp and ceremony,  I wouldn't read too much into it.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France - none of these countries would entertain the idea of a foreign coach, and none have had one for a very long time. I don't think England should be any different in that approach personally, given our resources and the strength of our domestic competition. Doing otherwise is a tacit acceptance that our coaching isn't good enough, not something I'd want to be doing ideally.

Think as a nation, we would go a long way if we just admitted we are a genuine second-rate footballing nation. We have won 1 knockout round of international football since 2006.

We need to find a way to get on their level - not trying to compare ourselves. We need to focus on getting the coaching right out grassroots, the academies, the reserves/B teams etc. The level of talent we have compared to those teams is embarrassing.

When we accept we are second-rate and in need of a re-build, having a foreign manager becomes an option. An option I wouldn't take but one all second-rate international football teams must consider. We are more Chile, than the Netherlands.

Also the strength of our club team is 99% dependant on foreign players. It's a null point. Netherlands & France have had second-rate club competitions for a long period now.

A skinny guy trying to train like his experienced bodybuilder friend isn't going to make the necessary gains. We are in a much earlier development stage i'm afraid.