The England Thread

Pilko

The expectations have no right being at their lowest ever, imo.

What makes you say that?

(Not being a bell, just interested in your view)

Unlike the Euros squad which - though it obviously had talent - was unbalanced, inexperienced in parts and, on the whole, fairly average... this time there are loads of really good players to choose from; in great form, too. Players who are better and more experienced than they were two years ago, where I actually thought England gave a decent enough account of themselves considering. For example, in that good draw against France, the midfield was Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Ox, Young. You'd think (hope) it won't look anything like that in Manaus; only Gerrard and maybe Ox should remain (he wouldn't in my preferred team).

Hodgson is absolutely blessed with options this time, especially in the front six. I think he has the players to set us up any way he wanted to. This might be a bit short-sighted, cos anything can happen between now and the summer (then there's the conditions to consider): but it's on him if we have another poor tournament. The title is going to a team with a genuine foundation of English players, for a start.

But then it wouldn't be anything new for the best English players in the Premier League to forget how to kick a football when it comes to England.

I don't watch much international football but it'd surely be a pretty massive underachievement for us not to get out of a (admittedly tough) group. But it being tough is a good thing. Can't be fucked dicking around against shite like Algeria and Ukraine for us to coast into a hammering off Germany. The intensity is going to be there right away this time.

Can't wait. I just hope the Aussies are as World Cup mad as we are over here.

Henderson's a much better player.

Disagree. He's perfect for this L'pool system. I doubt he could play so well under Hodgson or for England.

As opposed to James Milner? :lol:

:lol: There's some truth to whether he could play as well for England as he does for Liverpool, but having said that he's still probably the best midfield runner we have if you want to go that way.

He's very possibly about to be a crucial part of a league winning midfield, he's much better than OK, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd be very tempted if I were Hodgson to play Barkley and Henderson in midfield with Sterling Llallana and Ox ahead of him and Sturridge up top. Rooney won't be dropped though and it'll be a 4-4-2. Gerrard is putting in a decent case for being deep midfielder mind as well, Barkley is probably still finding his feet.

IMO it'd be criminal not to try and get some of Liverpool's chemistry in the national set-up.

Ridiculous post.

Henderson's a much better player.

Disagree. He's perfect for this L'pool system. I doubt he could play so well under Hodgson or for England.

As opposed to James Milner? :lol:

James Milner is a consistent player. England, Mancini, Pellegrini he's always been a useful squad member. If for whatever reason James Milner gets off the bench in Brazil, we'll know what to expect. Henderson starting a game? There would be some huge shocks.

James Milner is one of maybe 2 midfielders I would take to the WC that are tactically very smart CM's. I'd take 13 midfielders and attackers and 1 of them would be James Milner.

The expectations have no right being at their lowest ever, imo.

What makes you say that?

(Not being a bell, just interested in your view)

Unlike the Euros squad which - though it obviously had talent - was unbalanced, inexperienced in parts and, on the whole, fairly average... this time there are loads of really good players to choose from; in great form, too. Players who are better and more experienced than they were two years ago, where I actually thought England gave a decent enough account of themselves considering. For example, in that good draw against France, the midfield was Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Ox, Young. You'd think (hope) it won't look anything like that in Manaus; only Gerrard and maybe Ox should remain (he wouldn't in my preferred team).

Hodgson is absolutely blessed with options this time, especially in the front six. I think he has the players to set us up any way he wanted to. This might be a bit short-sighted, cos anything can happen between now and the summer (then there's the conditions to consider): but it's on him if we have another poor tournament. The title is going to a team with a genuine foundation of English players, for a start.

But then it wouldn't be anything new for the best English players in the Premier League to forget how to kick a football when it comes to England.

I don't watch much international football but it'd surely be a pretty massive underachievement for us not to get out of a (admittedly tough) group. But it being tough is a good thing. Can't be fucked dicking around against shite like Algeria and Ukraine for us to coast into a hammering off Germany. The intensity is going to be there right away this time.

Can't wait. I just hope the Aussies are as World Cup mad as we are over here.

:thup:

I think maybe the reason the media/a lot of the public have low expectations is that this current crop haven't been nearly as hyped as those before them - The "Golden Generation". That's all I can think of tbh, your post makes me think we can win it :lol:

He's very possibly about to be a crucial part of a league winning midfield, he's much better than OK, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd be very tempted if I were Hodgson to play Barkley and Henderson in midfield with Sterling Llallana and Ox ahead of him and Sturridge up top. Rooney won't be dropped though and it'll be a 4-4-2. Gerrard is putting in a decent case for being deep midfielder mind as well, Barkley is probably still finding his feet.

IMO it'd be criminal not to try and get some of Liverpool's chemistry in the national set-up.

I don't think Rooney should start tbh, I'd go with the team you suggested. But yeah, no way Rooney won't start.

Why should he? Never does anything for the England side, usually because he's not utilised correctly.

Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck or Sterling depending on the opposition, has to be the front three. Back that up with Gerrard, Hendo and AOC/Barkley with Wilshere to come off the bench and a back 4 of Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka and Cole/Baines and I think we look set. Just depends on the positivity that the manager sends them out with. As far as I see we have nowt to lose so let's be ultra positive.

------------------Hart---------------------

Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Cole/Baines

----------------Gerrard--------------------

-----Henderson-------Lallana------------

-----------------Sterling-------------------

--------Rooney----------Sturridge--------

IMO the top 11 for you guys.

You've got to start as many of the Liverpool side as possible, the more players you get playing together from the same team the better the defensive and offensive cohesion, even if that does mean playing fucking Henderson.

You've got to start as many of the Liverpool side as possible, the more players you get playing together from the same team the better the defensive and offensive cohesion, even if that does mean playing fucking Henderson.

see the point but not at the expense of henderson playing instead of barkley...bear in mind henderson looks good in rodgers' well oiled passing and moving machine but planted into hodgson's hands he'll almost certainly end up looking like what he is, a decent footballer but little else...at least barkley can skin people and beat them on his own, carry the ball up the pitch, bring others into play, you need that at international level not loads of limited, tidy footballers

if barlkey doesn't play we deserve what we get as a country tbh, in this tournament and going forward...what're we so fucking scared of, that the kid might not be afraid and go and have a great tournament?  the alternative he has a shit tournament, but at lease he'll learn something

Can't understand anyone posting a team without Barkley in it tbh. Madness.

Think you are over hyping Barkley a bit yes he has played very well this season and scored some good goals but he's still very young making the cross decision and giving away the ball cheaply. Give him a few more seasons and he has the potential to be an England starter but for this World Cup i think its a bit too early.

Think you are over hyping Barkley a bit yes he has played very well this season and scored some good goals but he's still very young making the cross decision and giving away the ball cheaply. Give him a few more seasons and he has the potential to be an England starter but for this World Cup i think its a bit too early.

Couldn't disagree more, he has the look of a big game player to me. Also the finished article? I've been watching England groom 'finished articles' for more than 25 years and it's never done us any good whatsoever. If the alternative was much better than Henderson then yeah, but it's not. Henderson will get laughed off the pitch at a world cup man, if they even bother to consider he's there.

They'd have a huge problem going past their group with a line-up like that. I know many like Henderson, but there must be someone better there. Always found him extremely average and even when I watch him in this winning side he doesn't impress me.

I just think a team like that plays right into Uruguays strength.

Couldn't disagree more, he has the look of a big game player to me. Also the finished article? I've been watching England groom 'finished articles' for more than 25 years and it's never done us any good whatsoever. If the alternative was much better than Henderson then yeah, but it's not. Henderson will get laughed off the pitch at a world cup man, if they even bother to consider he's there.

Depending on what formation he plays I would put lallana ahead of him at the minute. If they are good enough they should play I think he would be a great option to come off the bench with 25-30minutes remaining as he can stretch the play with his pace and direct running.

They'd have a huge problem going past their group with a line-up like that. I know many like Henderson, but there must be someone better there. Always found him extremely average and even when I watch him in this winning side he doesn't impress me.

I just think a team like that plays right into Uruguays strength.

agree, i think having henderson in there just plays into the opp hands as he's not really a threat...you can't have him and gerrard not threatening the other team, which is what that would end up with