The England Thread

Pilko

Guest toonlass

If that were my kids screaming Engerland like that I'd be smacking them upside the head right about now.

This!

Dam my predictive text.

They should think about bringing giggs out of retirement and maybe bring Speed on at half time.

fergie won't let giggs play internationally

Read an article today that he played in 2 friendlies for Wales. One v Brazil and one to mark the opening of the Millenium Stadium. :lol:

Dam my predictive text.

They should think about bringing giggs out of retirement and maybe bring Speed on at half time.

Shame.

He should have chosen England anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's a myth that he could have played for them.

Guest palnese

Dam my predictive text.

Shame.

He should have chosen England anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's a myth that he could have played for them.

Correct.

Giggs represented Wales at international level. As a youngster, Giggs captained England Schoolboys. Contrary to popular belief, he was never eligible for the full England team (eligibility at the schoolboy level depends solely upon the location of the school, in Giggs' case Moorside High School in Salford)

Yeah, Giggs couldn't have played for England.

"Did Ryan Giggs have the option of playing for England?" asks William Holdaway. "I know he played for England at schoolboy level, but I gather that qualification depended on the location of your school. This could settle a long-standing and increasingly boring argument ... do your best!"

You're right, William. Contrary to popular belief, Giggsy never had the option of playing for England. He was born in Cardiff to Welsh parents, and only moved to the Manchester area when he was seven.

He did captain England schoolboys when he played at that level for Manchester United but, as Mark Wylie of the Manchester United museum explains: "That was due to residence. Plenty of Scots have played for England schools. It just depends on where you go to school."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport