The England Thread

Pilko

Bent should get in--no doubt in my mind. Is Carlton Cole any better, honestly? Or Agbonlahor, tbh. I think our squad compares quite favourably to Spain's, tbh, but we haven't got anyone close to Torres or Villa.

Or Xavi and Iniesta.

Pfff. Gerrard and Lampard are absolutely top-draw, comparable in terms of quality to those two, imo, if different in style.

Although Capello always says he picks his squad on form, I reckon the likes of Rooney will always be in there even if they're playing shit, and there'll be some who'll never get in no matter how well they play.

Although Capello always says he picks his squad on form, I reckon the likes of Rooney will always be in there even if they're playing shit, and there'll be some who'll never get in no matter how well they play.

Basically. But if it helps build a winning team, fair enough.

Bent should get in--no doubt in my mind. Is Carlton Cole any better, honestly? Or Agbonlahor, tbh. I think our squad compares quite favourably to Spain's, tbh, but we haven't got anyone close to Torres or Villa.

Or Xavi and Iniesta.

Pfff. Gerrard and Lampard are absolutely top-draw, comparable in terms of quality to those two, imo, if different in style.

absolutely, easily as good as the spanish two. Truth be told another striker in Rooney's league and we'd be looking comfortably better than the Spainsh first Xl.

Yeah, I agree that your defence might be better. But Ferdinand is on the down and Terry isn't as good as he used to be either. Johnson still puzzles me. World class or liability, still can't decide.

Casillas, and it pains me to say it, is the best keeper in the world ( :angry:)

That's the case with every single England manager though. They always claim to be more objective than they really are.

Some players just have it though, and some don't.

Xavi and Iniesta play together whole year round, that automatically gives them an edge over Gerrard and Lamps, who - while being quality - step at one other's feet when lining up for England.

Also, players like Rooney may have a shite patch of form, but you know that they have that something that can turn a game at the highest level.

Cole is the best in the world at LB, Ferdinand and Terry are the best international combination in the world on paper. Johnson is the weak link but he can be protected

I agree with the bold, not sure about the underlined though. Ferdinand has looked quite shaky for club and country for a little while now, I reckon Upson has done very well in his absence.

Yeah, I agree that your defence might be better. But Ferdinand is on the down and Terry isn't as good as he used to be either. Johnson still puzzles me. World class or liability, still can't decide.

Casillas, and it pains me to say it, is the best keeper in the world ( :angry:)

johnson's definatly a liability, if your looking at winning any major competition, you need 11 players who are capable of beating world class teams every day, he certainly is not in that catagory.

casillas best keeper in the world? fair enough he's pretty solid, but hes never really stood out as being brilliant for me.

Guest craggy

Full England squad to face Ukraine and Belarus:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Robert Green (West Ham), David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: James Milner (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Wes Brown ffs. :nope:

Has Brown even played for Man Utd this season?

Why the hell has Heskey been picked over Bent and Defoe?

Johnson is quality going forward but isn't that great at defending which unfortunately he is employed to do

Cole is the best in the world at LB, Ferdinand and Terry are the best international combination in the world on paper. Johnson is the weak link but he can be protected

On paper yes. But Terry doesn't look the same when he puts on an England shirt for me.

Or Xavi and Iniesta.

Different styles yes. But I'd rather have those two in my team ahead of Gerrard and Lampard any day. Especially with how important keeping possession is in international tournaments. They could run rings around Gerrard and Lampard when it comes to a short, crisp passing game.

Full England squad to face Ukraine and Belarus:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), Robert Green (West Ham), David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: James Milner (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Carlton Cole (West Ham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Wes Brown ffs. :nope:

Has Brown even played for Man Utd this season?

Why the hell has Heskey been picked over Bent and Defoe?

Johnson is quality going forward but isn't that great at defending which unfortunately he is employed to do

I honestly lose my rag when people say Heskey shouldn't be in the England squad. Have you watched a single fucking game under Capello? Heskey is key to the way we line up, allowing us to get the most out of Gerrard and Lampard (more freedom to get forward without having to be dovetailed due to the knowledge we can hold the ball up front) and especially Rooney, our best player. No, he won't score that many goals, but in case you hadn't noticed we're the top scoring team in European qualifying with Rooney being the top individual goalscorer, because of the system we're playing.

This is what makes Capello stand out. We've had a decent to very good collection of players for some time now - he's turned them into what looks to be a very good team. He hasn't done this just by picking the most prolific scorers and shoehorning them into a team regardless of whether it works. I don't know why I've bothered with this really, if you can't understand why Heskey is important to this team you're pretty much a lost cause anyway. My only concern with it is that if he's not starting for Villa he might not be properly match fit.

Spot on Mowen, I think Heskey is nowhere near an international footballer individually, but he's essential to the current system. Crouch might be able to play the role too, but still.

This is why Capello is so much better than our previous managers... the team is everything.

Or Xavi and Iniesta.

Different styles yes. But I'd rather have those two in my team ahead of Gerrard and Lampard any day. Especially with how important keeping possession is in international tournaments. They could run rings around Gerrard and Lampard when it comes to a short, crisp passing game.

True, they are probably more suited to international football.

Gerrard and Lampard have improved a lot though, haven't they? They seem to be fitting in to Capello's system and really performing now.

I always thought Lampard got far too much grief for his England performances. Gerrard on the other hand possibly got off too lightly, some of his performances pre-Capello were woeful. Especially his cowardly and gutless performance as captain away in Moscow. He should never wear the captain's armband for England again (if the opportunity arose) after that night.

Gerrard and Lampard have improved a lot though, haven't they? They seem to be fitting in to Capello's system and really performing now.

I always thought Lampard got far too much grief for his England performances. Gerrard on the other hand possibly got off too lightly, some of his performances pre-Capello were woeful. Especially his cowardly and gutless performance as captain away in Moscow. He should never wear the captain's armband for England again (if the opportunity arose) after that night.

Don't remember that one, but his performance at Wembley against Croatia under Mclaren was an utter abomination, embarassing. Seems to be revelling under Capello now he has more freedom to roam in from the left, he looked quality against Croatia.