The England Thread

Pilko

My word, Wilkins.

The squad was always going to be pretty shit given the current crop, but the inclusion of Downing and the exclusion of Richards is not one iota short of pathetic. When the Gerrard/Lampard midfield  combo inevitably fails, the only surprise factor left will be that Heskey isn't the one brought on to get us a goal.

I don't know whether there's a lot to argue about tbh.

I'd have gone for Richards for his ability in attack and at set pieces, but there have always been question marks about his positioning and concentration.

Downing isn't as bad as people make out, and it's not as though we're flooded out with options for the left side.

I'm pleased he's taken the Ox. Despite his age, he showed in the CL that he can handle that level of football.

Henderson is probably on standby for his versatility.

And if you asked 100 managers whether they'd take Gerrard, all of them would say yes.

Downing is an utter shitehouse.

The squad is just what everyone expected it to be....bang average and full of the usual suspects.

Not moving forward at all and even the inclusion of the Ox is basically a sightseeing trip for him.

Guest Chubby Jason

There's always mass hysteria all over the media regardless who is picked. I don't think the 1st team will be massively different from what Cappello would have picked.

Downing getting picked is still a conundrum mind.

Guest Chubby Jason

Well done Roy.  ;D

Dreadful squad, looks like is already writing of this tournament.

Could it really have been much better given the alternatives?

I don't get why Hodgson has taken the easy route though, given that he's on a hiding to nothing for this tournament anyway. And it's not as though the press are behind him at this point. Should have binned some of the older players and made a go of it with some fresh blood. See how they perform. Move on.

Guest Chubby Jason

Ah well, I'm not going to obsess about the squad, I'll just enjoy the tournament and hope for the best.

Well done Roy.  ;D

Dreadful squad, looks like is already writing of this tournament.

Could it really have been much better given the alternatives?

He could have picked a different squad, rather than the same one that keeps failing.

Guest Chubby Jason

And that's why the FA should've hired Harry Redknapp

What? Why? What squad would Redknapp have picked that was massively better than Roy's?