The England Thread

Pilko

And of course, John Terry being a racist t*** towards Rio's cousin has absolutely f*** all with Rio not being selected. [/selectivemyopia]

That's also true.

And of course, John Terry being a racist t*** towards Rio's cousin has absolutely f*** all with Rio not being selected. [/selectivemyopia]

That's also true.

Actually, it's wrong. Nothing to with Rio's cousin. :blush:

And add that Billy is biased in favour of players who didn't drive Astons and Maseratis.

Not quite sure what you're implying here?

I'm merely using my 30+ years of watching football and coming up with 4 names who in my opinion have been better for England than Rio.

Guest Haris Vuckic

TERRY SAID WHAT!?

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/polopoly_fs/nls_wk23_11_les_ferdinand_1_914832!image/1472389822.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/1472389822.jpg

TERRY SAID WHAT!?

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/polopoly_fs/nls_wk23_11_les_ferdinand_1_914832!image/1472389822.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/1472389822.jpg

OK, OK, I guess I deserve this! I got them muddled in my head. :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Nah I wasn't having a go. Just thinking Sir Les would leave Terry in a Jean Paul Gaultier night bag if he said anything of the sort.

TERRY SAID WHAT!?

OK, OK, I guess I deserve this! I got them muddled in my head. :lol:

As bad as Terry imo.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Nah I wasn't having a go. Just thinking Sir Les would leave Terry in a Jean Paul Gaultier[\b] night bag if he said anything of the sort.

American Psycho?

:thup:

You win a Jean Paul Gaultier Caravan!

It is luck. Your relying on the other team missing 4 or 5 very good chances, for the one chance that you create. The defensive gameplan does rely on luck.

Football always depends on luck. Very little details often make the difference between winning and losing in the very big games.

Just look at Schweinsteiger's penalty against Chech - great, excellent penalty - that went against the post. Look at Drogba's goal against them - how often will he score a header like that in his whole career? Once? Twice?

You always need luck, luck with your players, luck with the referees, luck with the opponents. That's football, that's life.

Chelsea are a poor example. That run was heaven sent and extremely lucky. Bayern missed a hatful. Barca missed a hatful at the Bridge. Cech saved 4 outta 7 penalties.

It is luck. Your relying on the other team missing 4 or 5 very good chances, for the one chance that you create. The defensive gameplan does rely on luck.

Football always depends on luck. Very little details often make the difference between winning and losing in the very big games.

Just look at Schweinsteiger's penalty against Chech - great, excellent penalty - that went against the post. Look at Drogba's goal against them - how often will he score a header like that in his whole career? Once? Twice?

You always need luck, luck with your players, luck with the referees, luck with the opponents. That's football, that's life.

Chelsea are a poor example. That run was heaven sent and extremely lucky. Bayern missed a hatful. Barca missed a hatful at the Bridge. Cech saved 4 outta 7 penalties.

Harsh to claim that as luck tbh

As for the rest there was no more luck involved than there was for Barca a few years earlier though tbf, Chelsea battered them, had a couple of solid penalty shouts waved away, and then went behind in the final minute. Same as Inter who sat back and and took a battering away to Barca in the Semis and conceded a legitimate goal which was flagged off.

Let's not rewrite history. Ferdinand was a better player than Sol and he's better than Adams was. His performances in Europe as an English CB are unrivaled. Campbell quicker than Ferdinand? Laughable.

It's all opinions mate. I totally disagree with yours,and you disagree with mine, Adams was an inspirational skipper and solid centre half for England after a few hiccups early in his England career.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Let's not rewrite history. Ferdinand was a better player than Sol and he's better than Adams was. His performances in Europe as an English CB are unrivaled. Campbell quicker than Ferdinand? Laughable.

Eh?

Campbell was fucking lightning in his day and would be Rio hands down everytime.

As for the rest there was no more luck involved than there was for Barca a few years earlier though tbf, Chelsea battered them, had a couple of solid penalty shouts waved away, and then went behind in the final minute. Same as Inter who sat back and and took a battering away to Barca in the Semis and conceded a legitimate goal which was flagged off.

If your keeper saves 2 penalties that would've meant you would lose each time, luck might not be the word but God is certainly on your side.

Really? I'm no Barca fanboy but they dominated the Chelsea games although Chelsea looked very dangerous on the counter at the Bridge. But eventually, Chelsea buckled under the heavy pressure which is often the case when you defend all game (same thing happened against Barca). Barca went on to dominate the final. Chelsea on the other hand can't have had anymore than 8 attempts on target in total in the semi's/final whilst the other teams, missed sitters, hit the post etc.

My point is, if the Chelsea tactic is your plan. 9/10 you will lose. Cech played absolute blinders. Messi/Robben/Gomez/Fabregas would be unhappy with their finishing. That Greece team weren't so fortunate when they did the impossible.

Eh?

Campbell was f***ing lightning in his day and would be Rio hands down everytime.

Faster than a 27 year old Rio Ferdinand? Really?

Ferdinand was a more complete centre-half and a better player over his career imo, but I think Campbell performed better in the actual tournaments for England.

Don't think Adams was at either of their levels and he's a tad over-rated really. a limited talent who, domestically, was exceptional in a settled system at Arsenal but not outstanding otherwise. better than Terry though who has NEVER looked as good for england as he has for chelsea. in fact i'd take ledley king over him.

as for the person who thought des fucking walker was better than either of them - alzheimer's is a cruel disease.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Eh?

Campbell was f***ing lightning in his day and would be Rio hands down everytime.

Faster than a 27 year old Rio Ferdinand? Really?

A 27 year old Campbell. Aye easily.

Ferdinand was a more complete centre-half and a better player over his career imo, but I think Campbell performed better in the actual tournaments for England.

Don't think Adams was at either of their levels and he's a tad over-rated really. a limited talent who, domestically, was exceptional in a settled system at Arsenal but not outstanding otherwise. better than Terry though who has NEVER looked as good for england as he has for chelsea. in fact i'd take ledley king over him.

as for the person who thought des f***ing walker was better than either of them - alzheimer's is a cruel disease.

Ferdinand's always been excellent for England imo. Great at WC's. As was Campbell too tbf.

I'd have taken King and Woodgate over Terry every time. He's been very lucky in terms of England that they were/are both wrecks.

Agreed. totally forgot about Woodgate. shame he was crocked/liked beating up asians/total pisshead.

If your keeper saves 2 penalties that would've meant you would lose each time, luck might not be the word but God is certainly on your side.

Really? I'm no Barca fanboy but they dominated the Chelsea games although Chelsea looked very dangerous on the counter at the Bridge. But eventually, Chelsea buckled under the heavy pressure which is often the case when you defend all game (same thing happened against Barca). Barca went on to dominate the final. Chelsea on the other hand can't have had anymore than 8 attempts on target in total in the semi's/final whilst the other teams, missed sitters, hit the post etc.

My point is, if the Chelsea tactic is your plan. 9/10 you will lose. Cech played absolute blinders. Messi/Robben/Gomez/Fabregas would be unhappy with their finishing. That Greece team weren't so fortunate when they did the impossible.

Battered probably wasn't the right word to be fair, Barcelona were certainly lucky not to be 2 behind though had Droba had his shooting boots on/the referee gave a penalty for the stone wall push.

And in 2012, although Chelsea did sit back and invite pressure, they did still score 4 goals over the 2 legs when they needed too, the same against Munich, they conceded late but scored when it mattered, it's entirely possible they could have done so again if Robben had have tucked his penalty away.

Terry IS a great leader though and pretty good with his feet. He's never been quick but he's rarely exposed for that although that's partly due to having pacy  CB partners. So his leadership is a great asset (pre Bridge/Anton gate especially) and would push him ahead of 1 or 2 who are better talents.