The England Thread

Pilko

Wouldn't bring out the best in Rooney. But we'd keep the ball very well with that team.

That would be the main issue for me, as well. Had this discussion last weekend with my old uncle, who is the biggest football head I've ever known.

I think, if fit, then that team has all of our best players on the pitch (Joe Cole absolutely has to play for me), but it could be guilty of squeezing them all into the starting XI at the expense of tactics (in some instances).

Still think ,they think they are actually far better than they really are.

So does everyone in the world, about everything.

Wouldn't bring out the best in Rooney. But we'd keep the ball very well with that team.

That would be the main issue for me, as well. Had this discussion last weekend with my old uncle, who is the biggest football head I've ever known.

I think, if fit, then that team has all of our best players on the pitch (Joe Cole absolutely has to play for me), but it could be guilty of squeezing them all into the starting XI at the expense of tactics (in some instances).

Still think ,they think they are actually far better than they really are.

So does everyone in the world, about everything.

Do they?

Howay then, the game's over and I've nowt better to do for a bit. If people can be arsed, let's talk squad of 23 and first XI for the summer, in an ideal world. I'll get mine up.

you know i'm so out of touch with the premiership that atm i have very little idea of who deserves to be in there.

as for Hargreaves, he's not played for 2 years so it is a big ask for him to make the squad never mind the first XI. However he has half a season to get into form and if, fingers crossed, he does then he'll be a big asset.

The only thing Capello would have learnt from that game is that some of the 2nd stringers are nowhere near good enough. I would include Brown and Milner in that category.

How many times was Wes Brown raped on the right? So much for his defensive skills, he could not even keep pace with his man

As for Milner, I got sick of the commentator saying "With James Milner...what you see is what you get...a hardworking lad" :facepalm:

If only hardworking was enough. He tries to cross the ball almost every time even though it was patently clear that his crosses were s***!

Guest firetotheworks

Ideal world you say?                     

James

Brown Ferdinand Terry  A.Cole

Hargreaves  Lampard

Gerrard                          J.Cole

Rooney    Defoe

Subs: Green, Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Bridge, Lennon, Barry, Carrick, Walcott, C.Cole, Crouch, Beckham

I think that's an ok team. I'd possibly switch J.Cole to Gerrards position. The truth is though, no matter which way you spin it, the depth is overloaded in centre mid, and the rest minus Beckham is woeful.

Green

Johnson  Ferdinand  Terry  A Cole

Gerrard  Hargreaves  Lampard  J Cole

Rooney  Heskey

Very much dependant on Hargreaves and Joe Cole showing the type of form demonstrated before injuries. If not i'd replace them with Lennon and Carrick.

Ideal world you say?                     

James

Hargreaves

Walcott                          J.Cole

Gerrard

Defoe                Rooney

Subs: Green, Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Bridge, Lennon, Barry, Carrick, Milner, C.Cole, Crouch, Beckham

I think that's an ok team. I'd possibly switch J.Cole to Gerrards position. The truth is though, no matter which way you spin it, the depth is overloaded in centre mid, and the rest minus Beckham is woeful.

Has Frank Lampard suffered a career-ending injury in this ideal world?

Ideal world you say?                    

James

Hargreaves

Walcott                          J.Cole

Gerrard

Defoe                Rooney

Subs: Green, Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Bridge, Lennon, Barry, Carrick, Milner, C.Cole, Crouch, Beckham

Lampard not even in the squad?

My England Squad - World Cup 2010

Goalkeepers: D. James, B. Foster, R. Green.

Defenders: G. Johnson, W. Brown, J. Terry, R. Ferdinand, J. Woodgate, M. Upson, A. Cole, W. Bridge.

Midfielders T. Walcott, A. Lennon, D. Beckham, O. Hargreaves, G. Barry, S. Gerrard, F. Lampard, J. Cole.

Forwards W. Rooney, J. Defoe, P. Crouch, E. Heskey.

I think the 'keepers pick themselves and are a definite weak point of our squad, none of them have claimed the jersey as their own in my eyes.

In defence I'm not thrilled at having Wes Brown in there based on his performance tonight, but he can cover RB/CB and will only get better as he gets back to full match fitness and playing regularly. Aside from that I've gone for Woodgate as I still think he's quality when he's fit. Knowing he'll probably be crocked come the summer then Lescott would probably be next in line, although he also needs to get his finger out. Warnock could be pushing Bridge by the end of the season if both players continue on their current trajectories, but I think the rest picks itself.

Midfield is a bit of a nightmare simply due to the amount of options, but no doubt in reality injuries will make the situation far less complex. I think, if fit, the 8 that I've selected will go, with Michael Carrick unlucky to miss out and with Wright-Phillips missing out to two better options in Lennon and Walcott. While Milner is getting a lot of time now, with all of those fit I don't think he gets a sniff of being included in the squad. Ashley Young, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem fancied.

Up front is another ballache as we're hardly blessed at the moment. Rooney goes without saying and I think Peter Crouch has to go, just because of the different option his gangly frame provides. I think Heskey has done enough to remain in there as a reliable option for Capello, as long as he gets enough minutes for Villa and the fourth striker I would honestly just have between Defoe and Bent right now. If it was me selecting I'd be tempted to take the risk and bring Carrick instead of a 4th striker (as Walcott can play up top and Lennon is a more than able deputy, perhaps even as good an option in certain games, depending on who plays up top).

James

Johnson      Terry      Ferdinand      A. Cole

Hargreaves      Lampard

Walcott      Gerrard      J. Cole

Rooney

Already posted this, but it would be my first choice XI if everyone was fit and if we had the squad I suggested. Beckham, Crouch and Lennon in particular could provide inspiration from the bench if necessary, but beyond that we'd be struggling for inspiration outside of these players.

As Ronaldo mentioned, maybe we wouldn't see the best of Rooney in this formation and in that case I'd take a hit and move Heskey up top, but an agonising decision would remain for who to remove from the midfield for Rooney to play in behind. I think it would come down to Walcott or J. Cole, as I can't see one of Lampard or Gerrard being removed. One benefit from this would be an extra inspirational option added to the bench (which is an oft-needed facet of World Cup play).

In summary of this selection though, I think the back five is undoubtedly our best bet and provides pace and attacking from the fullbacks while having the core 3 of James, Terry and Ferdinand to hopefully keep a steady ship. Hargreaves' endless running would hopefully free up Lampard to be involved in setting moves away and supporting the forward players. In an ideal world, him and Gerrard would swap around, but I feel Gerrard is best being "off the leash" and "in behind" a lone striker. Lampard does his best work a little deeper, breaking into the box late.

Walcott and Cole provide pace, flair and invention on the wings, with a good prospect of goals from both as well (one of the main reasons Theo gets the nod ahead of Lennon, also to do with the lack of an aerial target for crosses) and Rooney is our talisman. He may get frustrated doing the donkey work up top and we may miss his link-up play between the midfield and the attack, but you'd hope the three "attacking" midfielders are good enough to carry the weight.

Obviously there'll be injuries and the starting XI will probably look very different, but it's nice to dream.

What about this?

Green

Johnson    Terry    Ferdinand    Cole

Hargreaves  Carrick

J Cole              Lampard              Gerrard

Rooney

Agbonlahor! Didn't even cross my mind. Cracking shout Ronny. Having that kind of raw pace as an option would be pretty invaluable as both Defoe and Bent are a bit "meh" on the international stage in my opinion.

First XI:

James (but, pick a name: you wouldn't feel safe with any of them)

Johnson (s'pose)  Terry  Rio (Pfff)  A.Cole

Hargreaves  Gerrard  Barry

J.Cole      Lampard

Rooney

Squad:

Green, Foster,

Brown, Upson, Lescott

Lennon, Beckham, Carrick, Milner, Walcott

Defoe, Heskey

Something sexy and FMish like that. :smug:

Agbonlahor! Didn't even cross my mind. Cracking shout Ronny. Having that kind of raw pace as an option would be pretty invaluable as both Defoe and Bent are a bit "meh" on the international stage in my opinion.

Cheers. He's raw, but I can't think of many better players to bring on with 20 remaining if we need to get in behind.

Cheers. He's raw, but I can't think of many better players to bring on with 20 remaining if we need to get in behind.

That would be my thinking with him as well.

.....James

Johnson..Terry..Rio..Cole

..........Barry..Carrick.....

Gerrard..Lampard..Rooney

...............Cole....................

What I'd pick. Width coming from the fullbacks, 2 midfielders sit, rest have free roam. Carlton Cole/Heskey/Crouch to hold play up and bring others into game.

Guest sicko2ndbest

..............................................James...................................................

Hargreaves.............Rio...............................Terry..........................Cole

Walcott..................Gerrard....................Barry............................Cole

.............................Rooney....................Defoe......................................

James

RB Terry CB Cole

Gerrard Harg Lamps

RW J.Cole

Rooney

The four unnamed positions are still up for grabs in my eyes. Johnson hasn't shown he's capable of maintaining a decent performance, I don't think Rio is half as good as some people think he is, it's an equal race between Lennon and Walcott, and Heskey and Defoe still have alot to prove to be in the first team.

3 Keepers: Green, James, Foster

7 Defenders: Johnson, Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, Cole, Lescott

8 Midfielders: Lennon, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves*, Carrick, Walcott, Cole

5 Strikers: Rooney, Heskey, Bent, Crouch, Agbonlahor

Green

Johnson       Ferdinand Terry       Cole

Gerrard Hargreaves* Lampard Cole

Rooney Heskey

*Barry, if not fit.

Btw; people putting 4-4-2s without including Heskey... :doh: