The England Thread

Pilko

Let's just see how Gerrard goes over the next two years before writing him off. His fitness isn't what it was, but he was still our best player. He could yet have a role as the anchor man in midfield. Wilshere - Gerrard - Ox could be quite a tasty threesome in two years' time.

that's not dreadful imo but still not convinced by Rooney dropping too deep, he can do it but reckon people get a bit carried away simply because he can play football a bit more than most English strikers and suddenly think he's a proper playmaker...

Also am I harsh to have lost patience with Sturridge by end of last season?

Under Roy's reign it'll always be two banks of four ( :( ) and so sturridge may get a chance up front. We seem to lack decent wide wingers which is odd because considering english fondness for wide players peppering crosses into the box you'd think we'd have a few. Instead we have some pretty decent ones who will cut inside, but won't work with Roy's wide game. Bleh.

If I were in charge!

Hart

Lescott  Cahill  Smalling

Richards  Wilshere  Rodwell    Baines

Ox

Rooney    Carroll

:snod: 

(ok probably not)

:scared:

What they had is essentially a 4-4-2 anyway, they just tried to make it look fancy.

Ye could do with Ashley Young getting his act together, he was rubbish at the Euros but he's still only 26 so he should have plenty of tournaments left in him. He's got the ability IMO.

England don't really have anyone that can cross the ball well consistently at the moment.

They then compound this by playing wingers in Ashley Young and Milner who also struggle to get to the by line well.

In Lennon and Adam Johnson they have two widemen who at least dribble well and take on full backs, and are able to make space to get a ball in, albeit not necessarily of a consistently great quality neither.

However, in my opinion those two would have caused far ore problems, even if they are not considered as highly rated as some of th eplayers that were taken instead.

Even Theo, for all his pace, can't really dribble that well and take people on, and so relies more on decent through balls to him.

Our wide players were also told to tuck in and play defensively, I imagine the fullbacks were too.

Massive missed opportunity to not exploit the attacking ability of our fullbacks IMO, they're probably our best chance of getting a decent cross in.

Really daft decision not to bring Adam Johnson, definitely think he'd have potentially given us something a bit different from the bench at least.

I think the main problem I had with us not bringing him is the fact he has far better technique and ability than Milner, he is much better placed than the Ox. He's more consistent than Walcott and evidently, he would have been a far better option than Young.

I know there are a fair few people on this board that don't rate him as highly as I do but he was the one major omission for me that I really couldn't understand at all. It's rare to have a player who is a goal threat from nothing situations, can beat his man 8/10 times and can link up play well

Really daft decision not to bring Adam Johnson, definitely think he'd have potentially given us something a bit different from the bench at least.

I think the main problem I had with us not bringing him is the fact he has far better technique and ability than Milner, he is much better placed than the Ox. He's more consistent than Walcott and evidently, he would have been a far better option than Young.

I know there are a fair few people on this board that don't rate him as highly as I do but he was the one major omission for me that I really couldn't understand at all. It's rare to have a player who is a goal threat from nothing situations, can beat his man 8/10 times and can link up play well

Agree 100%.  Would have been a great option to bring off the bench, even if he wasn't starting.

I agree, would love to see him in a NUFC shirt next season, not gonna happen though.

He's a decent player but he's incredibly inconsistent and often goes missing during games. His longevity on the pitch is also questionable. Perhaps he could have been useful as the wild card but I guess that is what we brought Ox for.  Definitely not more consistent than Walcott btw.

Has Johnson ever performed consistently well at any point his career other than the one in the Championship? I don't think he is that good.

Has Johnson ever performed consistently well at any point his career other than the one in the Championship? I don't think he is that good.

Doesn't need to be that consistent in the role IP is suggesting though. He's shown himself to be a dangerous sub in the Premier League.

I agree that he's yet to be consistently good in the Premier League (he needs to leave Man City immediately), but I find it odd how Milner, Walcott and AOC were all preferred ahead of him. And Downing.

The only reason Johnson isn't consistent really is because he doesn't consistently play. He's a squad player in the best squad in the league. When he does play his goalscoring and creating stats are sound.

I thought he was good the few games he played for England post World Cup too. Scored a couple of goals.

He is a completely different player to the one we had. At Euro 2004 he was ripping into teams. Now he's becoming some sort of attacking midfielder/ forward/quarterbacky floaty player who if in doubt will try a hopeful diagonal cross-field pass which often doesn't find its intended target.

He is a quality player but could, and should, have been one of the greats.