The England Thread

Pilko

Why is Rooney unfit though? I feel like this comes up a lot, whenever he plays poorly.

The state of the guyin general isn't great. Definitely noticed another chin emerging lately.

Don't post much anymore but just wanted to weigh in on this 'too many foreign players in PL' argument.

Absolute load of shit, the problem is all to do with the lack of technical ability of our players. The championship, league one and all the leagues below are full of English players. The only thing stopping English players from dominating numbers in the PL is the fact they're not good enough. Putting restrictions on the number of foreign players isn't going to change shit other than probably give people an even more inflated impression of how good England can be.

It is fundamentally down to the way children are coached from 3+. People need to stop overcomplicating analysis of why we're shit. It's obvious, we can't pass a ball in simple situations under little pressure so how could we possibly do it under proper pressure. The only way to improve this is to work on training people up with far better ball control, passing in tight situations, dribbling and passing.

I wish I could say 'I can't believe how shit we were last night' but I can't and no one else can

Interesting point you raise about the lower leagues, which has teams that are predominantly English, and where English players definitely get a lot of opportunities to play from a young age too. Certainly doesn't seem as though many talents emerge from these clubs though.

However, I suppose some might arfue that this is because these clubs aren't as well setup as the top ones, but then that is essentially the problem. Coaching at these clubs needs to be improved moreso than anywhere else perhaps.

Do these players even talk to each other?

A few too many backpasses from Parker as a centre back and I'd let him know he had to quit doing that shite.

How about encouraging each other to move into space after passing the ball? It's like every single one of them just freeze up.

Well, that's the thing. It's not only a lack of technique. It's a complete lack of footballing intelligence (something which Rooney certainly does have even if his touch is appalling.) Footballing intelligence is definitely something you can learn and improve on by playing fast-paced, improving your technique and trying loads of different drills and plays but essentially it's something which should be coached from a young age.

They should be trying to express themselves on the ball, trying to link up play in creative fashion but either they're not confident enough, not good enough technically or are too scared/lacking in vision to try to be creative

I think Italy will give Germany a pretty good game tbh, they look like a good side to me.

Milner has no business playing on the wing at any level, never mind for the English team. Offers absolutely nothing. Think that between Carroll and Wellbeck you've got two good options alongside Rooney for the future, this tournament will be good experience for them.

A lot depends on getting Wilshire established in the first team, he's the type of player you've sorely missed for years.

I think Italy will give Germany a pretty good game tbh, they look like a good side to me.

Milner has no business playing on the wing at any level, never mind for the English team. Offers absolutely nothing. Think that between Carroll and Wellbeck you've got two good options alongside Rooney for the future, this tournament will be good experience for them.

A lot depends on getting Wilshire established in the first team, he's the type of player you've sorely missed for years.

Wilshire and Cleverly I could both see being absolutely massive for England's passing game in the future. Even Rodwell, for a more defensive midfielder uses the ball so much better than Parker.

Rodwell, Cleverly and Wilshire in a midfield three would have been 10 times better than the midfield in this tournament. There's certainly players that can play a far better brand of football.

The question is how soon will they be given a chance? How long will Gerrard, Parker, Barry and lampard continue to linger?

Fat Mike is selling arl the England tat at greatly reduced prices if anyone wants a cheap England shirt

went to have a deeks, love this

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8169/screenshot20120625at143.png

World Sporting Event

Ready to support your country at this year's World sporting event? Check out SportsDirect.com's range of British inspired clothing and accessories to help cheer your team on come game day! Our range includes men's, ladies and kids clothing as well as the official adidas Team GB kit.

its obviously forbidden within SD to use the word 'Olympics'  :lol:

Wilshire and Cleverly I could both see being absolutely massive for England's passing game in the future. Even Rodwell, for a more defensive midfielder uses the ball so much better than Parker.

Rodwell, Cleverly and Wilshire in a midfield three would have been 10 times better than the midfield in this tournament. There's certainly players that can play a far better brand of football.

The question is how soon will they be given a chance? How long will Gerrard, Parker, Barry and lampard continue to linger?

Well it wasn't a question at this tournament, because they were all injured.

You're right though, those players are key and should be blooded ASAP.

Rooney's fitness was a massively worrying last night. You could see how tired he was from the second half onwards. He wasn't chasing anybody down, he wasn't running into space. When he got the ball to his feet in extra time especially, his legs had gone, couldn't even run with the ball and was simply looking for the easiest pass available.

Overall though i think we got to the stage we probably deserved and with what we had available was the best we were going to get. Not sure where we go from here but i can only see more dissapointmnet around the corner even if dramatic changes are made.

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned somewhere in the 565 pages preceding this, but in terms of transfer fee's paid, we must surely be up there with the most expensive teams in the tournament, if not the most expensive. Quite staggering given the apparent gulf in class between ourselves and the Spains/Germany's the world.