The England Thread

Pilko

He's just not good enough in terms of build-up. It was a great finish, but it was more down to a quick counter-attack and a quality finish than any great play from Defoe. He got the chance because the defender wasn't close enough to him. Just my opinion, but for me I think you need someone a bit more creative rather than a finisher with little else to his game upfront in an international game. Even Gomez who gets stick for being just a finisher has incredible movement which opens space for other players.

His goal and the chance he missed with his left foot neatly summed up Defoe in 5 minutes. On his day, clinical, but obviously has his flaws. Still, if he's first choice for Spurs this year I'd definitely fancy him to get 20 goals.

Couldn't give a s*** how good his stats make him look. Even Redknapp had the tactical nouse to realise no side would ever achieve anything playing him.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6r8-bw1dyinSezXJkBiWS1ViFNDNeHbg4nmW0KQa1qx_zyTOt

That's exactly how I'd describe blindly looking at his stats/highlights without realising just how poor a footballer he actually is  O0

Couldn't give a s*** how good his stats make him look. Even Redknapp had the tactical nouse to realise no side would ever achieve anything playing him.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6r8-bw1dyinSezXJkBiWS1ViFNDNeHbg4nmW0KQa1qx_zyTOt

That's exactly how I'd describe blindly looking at his stats/highlights without realising just how poor a footballer he actually is  O0

How's looking at his stats burying my head in the sand. :lol:

"Blah blah, I don't CARE that he's scored almost 200 goals at the highest level , he's poor blah blah".

is though. ;)

Defoe the striker, as in goals and nothing else = Quality, has the statisitics to back it up.

Defoe the footballer, as in link up play, holding the ball up, assists blah blah blah = Probably not very good.

Depends what you want in him as a player really. Probably why the mackems are after him.

Hopefully this is the permanent reinstatement of Carrick. Vital to have a player like him in the team, one whose natural game is to drop deep and pick up the ball.

Think Carrick's a good player. Seemed to suffer from a total lack of confidence a couple of years ago but he's got the quality to dictate the tempo of games. Very comfortable on the ball, perhaps needs to improve his decision-making. Plus, Ferguson saying he thinks Carrick will be key for them this season speaks a bit.

Hopefully this is the permanent reinstatement of Carrick. Vital to have a player like him in the team, one whose natural game is to drop deep and pick up the ball.

Thought him and Lampard did really well actually, Carrick sitting deep and giving Lampard licence to get forward and get shots on goal. Looked a good partnership, shame about Lampard's age. Wilshere's role for 2014? Early days yet, but if he comes back from this seemingly eternal injury I think he'd slot in nicely there.

"Blah blah, I don't CARE that he's scored almost 200 goals at the highest level , he's poor blah blah".

is though. ;)

I don't agree at all. This is my opinion having watched him play however many times over the years.. I honestly think in terms of fundamental footballing qualities he is close to being one of the worst players in the league. Average movement, average technique, wildly inconsistent first touch, abysmal link-up play, horrendous awareness of others on the pitch; ultimately very difficult to fit into a functioning team because of these things.

He's got a good goalscoring record because he shoots every time he gets the ball and is quite good at it. Good qualities - if you never want to achieve anything as a team and are happy for him to do that. Just like Darren Bent he will always come up smelling of roses in a team because he scores goals and also ones that look pretty on the eye in isolation. But I'd hate to see him in a Newcastle team just like I'd hate to see Darren Bent ever play for us.

But hey ho that's just my opinion. Let's try not to be 'aggressive'.

is though. ;)

I don't agree at all. This is my opinion having watched him play however many times over the years.. I honestly think in terms of fundamental footballing qualities he is close to being one of the worst players in the league. Average movement, average technique, wildly inconsistent first touch, abysmal link-up play, horrendous awareness of others on the pitch; ultimately very difficult to fit into a functioning team because of these things.

He's got a good goalscoring record because he shoots every time he gets the ball and is quite good at it. Good qualities - if you never want to achieve anything as a team and are happy for him to do that. Just like Darren Bent he will always come up smelling of roses in a team because he scores goals and also ones that look pretty on the eye in isolation. But I'd hate to see him in a Newcastle team just like I'd hate to see Darren Bent ever play for us.

But hey ho that's just my opinion. Let's try not to be 'aggressive'.

I'd actually say Darren Bent is even worse.

Guest BooBoo

Oh bloody hell man, you didn't take that comment seriously did you? :lol:

He's been a decent PL striker for a long time and usually gets goals if given a decent run.

Andy Cole played alongside Peter Beardsley and had an almost telepathic understanding with him. He then went on to play a key role in a side that challenged for major honours, forging an immaculate understanding with another very different forward.

I've never seen Defoe forge an understanding with any other forward or player on a football pitch ever.