The England Thread

Pilko

We didn't get on the end of our attacking set pieces, which is normally a good area for us. To that extent, we missed Terry.

I was interested to see if we missed Lampard, and I don't think we did.

Rooney showed his usual imagination and creativity on the ball, but I still wonder whether he's lost a bit of sharpness. Normally if the opposition try to close him down, he can do them but he was easily forced back or dispossessed.

Guest neesy111

I'd take any sort of win against the Swiss. A draw might not be that bad of a result over there

The Swiss are usually very good at home, and I'm sure Mr Hitzfeld will have them prepared.

Qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup are fucking pointless. All these wanky teams that have little chance of doing anything in pointless leagues that take two years to complete. England are utterly average yet they will coast through this group again and be stunned by the quality of the proper teams when it actually gets to meaningful matches against good teams. I fully accept the smaller nations deserve their shot and I can't think of a better solution (could a straight knockout format like the FA Cup work?) but I really can't get excited about England games when they're not in the finals of a tournament.

Guest neesy111

Qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup are fucking pointless. All these wanky teams that have little chance of doing anything in pointless leagues that take two years to complete. England are utterly average yet they will coast through this group again and be stunned by the quality of the proper teams when it actually gets to meaningful matches against good teams. I accept the smaller nations deserve a shot and I can't think of a better solution (could a straight knockout format like the FA Cup work?) but I really can't get excited about England games when they're not in the finals of a tournament.

Good points.

You can only judge how good any team is, until they play the best.  This means against the likes of Germany, Spain, Holland, Spain, Portugal.  Nothing will have changed against these teams, as they will shread to pieces our defence which tonight was very poor (i.e. Hart having to make a number of good saves).

Guest sicko2ndbest

Qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup are f***ing pointless. All these wanky teams that have little chance of doing anything in pointless leagues that take two years to complete. England are utterly average yet they will coast through this group again and be stunned by the quality of the proper teams when it actually gets to meaningful matches against good teams. I accept the smaller nations deserve a shot and I can't think of a better solution (could a straight knockout format like the FA Cup work?) but I really can't get excited about England games when they're not in the finals of a tournament.

16 teams in the euros

Top 10 on rankings qualify automatically the other 6 places go via  qualification from 4 groups with 2 best runners up spots

Qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup are f***ing pointless. All these wanky teams that have little chance of doing anything in pointless leagues that take two years to complete. England are utterly average yet they will coast through this group again and be stunned by the quality of the proper teams when it actually gets to meaningful matches against good teams. I accept the smaller nations deserve a shot and I can't think of a better solution (could a straight knockout format like the FA Cup work?) but I really can't get excited about England games when they're not in the finals of a tournament.

Good points.

You can only judge how good any team is, until they play the best.  This means against the likes of Germany, Spain, Holland, Spain, Portugal.  Nothing will have changed against these teams, as they will shread to pieces our defence which tonight was very poor (i.e. Hart having to make a number of good saves).

I seriously wonder if you watch these internationals, mate.

I remember you trying to blame the defence for drawing 0-0 with Algeria.

Guest neesy111

Good points.

Fucking prove it, idiot!

Barry wants dropping and Rooney wants telling to stop treading on the toes of our left midfielder. He's meant to be a fucking forward, when Defoe went off we had Milner and A.Young wide and no-one upfront.

Good points.

f***ing prove it, idiot!

I seem to remember you saying (amongst other guff) that Heskey played very well and Terry was terrible. :lol:

Seriously, man, I like you a lot. You're a good fella, but very daft and misguided.

Guest kingdawson

Bassong and Kaboul? Wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Can Van Der Vaart play at CB?

isn't he the one who must not be named in the Harry Potter books?

more like the Harry Redknapp books.

:lol:

Gallas.

16 teams in the euros

Top 10 on rankings qualify automatically the other 6 places go via  qualification from 4 groups with 2 best runners up spots

24 teams from 2016. Not that it matters in regards to your messed up system anyways, go by rankings? Rankings that change every month? Fucking hell, if that was enforced.. What is this I don't even :lol:

The self importance and aeeogance in Dave's argument is striking. You can definitely tell he comes from a"big" European nation. No different than those calling for a European super league among Europe's "big" clubs. Every country should be given an equal chance to qualify and every nation should have to prove itself over a qualifying campaign. No one has a birth right. Hell, some of these nations will cherish it for years if they can knock one goal at Wenbley. Hunour them.

Edit: arguing with sicko actually. Dave has a fair point and one I can sympathise with after watching Nigeria bs its way in tocompetitions.

The self importance and aeeogance in Dave's argument is striking. You can definitely tell he comes from a"big" European nation. No different than those calling for a European super league among Europe's "big" clubs. Every country should be given an equal chance to qualify and every nation should have to prove itself over a qualifying campaign. No one has a birth right. Hell, some of these nations will cherish it for years if they can knock one goal at Wenbley. Hunour them.

If you read my post (which apparently you haven't) you'd see I actually acknowledged that, and that I can't think of a better way of doing it. I also said England are average as fuck so god knows how that is arrogance.

I was only explaining why these games don't excite me. I can't wait for the club season to carry on again.

I'll gladly cheer us on in the qualifiers like anyone else but I don't think I'll be 'excited' about England until we give a convincing performance against a good side. And even then it'll more than likely be me wanting to believe we're good, rather than being it.

I'll gladly cheer us on in the qualifiers like anyone else but I don't think I'll be 'excited' about England until we give a convincing performance against a good side. And even then it'll more than likely be me wanting to believe we're good, rather than being it.

I'm not saying I don't want us to win, far from it. But Capello has proven he can get us through a qualifying campaign against mediocre opposition with ease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_UEFA_Group_6) and starting with tonight the signs are that the same will happen this time. Means absolutely nothing when we come up against anyone decent, as South Africa showed. It's just uninspiring.