The England Thread

Pilko

Do wish Lambert had reached this stage earlier in his career, was absolute quality parts of last season. Type of striker England have needed since Shearer really.

Even though he scored he wouldn't have been the answer if this was still his level. England have needed a proper number 9 for a long time though.

Brilliant game, thought we were excellent, need to work on the defence though. Wellbeck is class I have to say, his movement is great and obviously Wislhere is the stand out talent. Fucking great having Strachan in charge, what a difference it makes. We'll have yous next time.  O0

Brilliant game, thought we were excellent, need to work on the defence though. Wellbeck is class I have to say, his movement is great and obviously Wislhere is the stand out talent. Fucking great having Strachan in charge, what a difference it makes. We'll have yous next time.  O0

You won't get a chance like today again for a long time. Unlucky.

You won't get a chance like today again for a long time. Unlucky.

Aye England are definitely on the incline, like.

I seem to have seen Welbeck more than most non-NUFC players and can never make my mind up on him. I mean, he's good at some stuff which sometimes makes him look really good. Then, I dunno. Other times he looks about as 'meh' as it gets.

You can attach this description to a lot of those who played last night. Cleverley's another one I can't quite make my mind up on.

Tbh, I think England have actually got a collection of good/very good players, with only Rooney who I would describe as 'world class'. They should be better than they are. They should never have been 'massive underdogs' against Italy, for eg (dunno if anyone said that but they pretty much were).

There's a lot of talent in the squad. Haven't really got a clue why they're not a really decent international outfit.

I like the fact we have a lot of younger and more energetic players now. Potentially we could do quite well over the next few years.

At least in the likes of Walcott, Sturridge, Zaha, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck, etc, we've actually got some pace coming through. Germany absolutely embarrassed us in 2010 and the disparity in pace between the two squads was one of the main reasons.

I still think the root of all our England woes is our static players off the ball in the final third. It's so rigid. I'd love to see us shifting and roaming to make our man on the ball have easier passes to make. We still to often go for that Nicky Butt esque 'chip over the top' which despite getting us a goal last night that was unfairly chalked for offside, it was largely ineffective and gave away possesion.

We need to be smarter and more composed when on the ball, often we run in to dead ends when we should be shifting it around and keeping their defenders confused to who they are tracking and who they aren't.

Our crossing last night was largely woeful too. Was hoping for more from Baines on that front. Walker was just as useless as Johnson has been for that position.

I seem to have seen Welbeck more than most non-NUFC players and can never make my mind up on him. I mean, he's good at some stuff which sometimes makes him look really good. Then, I dunno. Other times he looks about as 'meh' as it gets.

You can attach this description to a lot of those who played last night. Cleverley's another one I can't quite make my mind up on.

Tbh, I think England have actually got a collection of good/very good players, with only Rooney who I would describe as 'world class'. They should be better than they are. They should never have been 'massive underdogs' against Italy, for eg (dunno if anyone said that but they pretty much were).

There's a lot of talent in the squad. Haven't really got a clue why they're not a really decent international outfit.

Welbeck is a promising lad. He needs more goals, but he has a lot of good points. His movement and linkup play is coming on well.

Welbeck is a promising lad. He needs more goals, but he has a lot of good points. His movement and linkup play is coming on well.

I thought Welbeck was very bright last night. Honestly think some of the young lads that Yorkie mentioned have big futures if nurtured correctly. Loved AOC's cameo too, he has such vision for one so young. I reckon Wilshere and AOC pulling the strings for Welbeck , Walcott etc could see us have an exciting time in the years ahead. Really quite positive.

Guest Howaythetoon

Welbeck simply needs to get out of Manu and stop beîng a sub or backup player. His game would improve dramatically playing every game elsewhere.

This. He's never ever going to be good enough to start for Man Utd. I'd love him here at the Toon personally.

Welbeck simply needs to get out of Manu and stop beîng a sub or backup player. His game would improve dramatically playing every game elsewhere.

This. He's never ever going to be good enough to start for Man Utd. I'd love him here at the Toon personally.

If newcastle want to pay over the odds on a striker I'd be happy it was him. Think he's bursting to improve through regular football, and even if he didn't being English we'd get our money back no bother.

Think I've got to agree with this. You could argue that he's at the best possible club for nurturing talent and developing a winning mentality but I doubt he's ever going to usurp the likes of Van Persie.

Obviously he needs to be playing every week but, above all, he needs a defined position. This seems to be a running theme and a serious problem among young English players. Welbeck, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell - even players who have developed past 22/23 like Milner or even Rooney - they haven't held down a specific position at their club team and I think it is damaging to England.

Think I've got to agree with this. You could argue that he's at the best possible club for nurturing talent and developing a winning mentality but I doubt he's ever going to usurp the likes of Van Persie.

Obviously he needs to be playing every week but, above all, he needs a defined position. This seems to be a running theme and a serious problem among young English players. Welbeck, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell - even players who have developed past 22/23 like Milner or even Rooney - they haven't held down a specific position at their club team and I think it is damaging to England.

Yep they go off to the top clubs and don't get played enough. Milner's development stopped as soon as he moved to Citeh, same for Sinclair & Rodwell.

Guest Howaythetoon

If newcastle want to pay over the odds on a striker I'd be happy it was him. Think he's bursting to improve through regular football, and even if he didn't being English we'd get our money back no bother.

Aye. He's never going to be a prolific goalscorer but he has a lot to his game and even when things are not going his way he never stops working hard and being busy.