The England Thread

Pilko

"We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."

Oh dear.

Everything that's wrong with English football summed up there.

Guest palnese

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."

Oh dear.

The England team is full of soft cunts and divers.

Oh dear.

The England team is full of soft cunts and divers.

It's the mentality that hard work (usually meaning lots of running around and diving into tackles) is somehow better than actual ability.  It's what leads to players like Alan Smith, loads of running around & hard tackles but the man struggled to pass to a team mate, gave away possession all the time and most of his hard tackles were stupid desperate tackles to win a ball back that he'd lost.

People laud defenders like John Terry for his last ditch goal-saving tackles but somehow miss that the best defenders rarely need to make those tackles because their reading of the game is enough that those situations don't arise in the first place.

It'll struggle to change in this country because all those involved at the top end of the game, from coaches & managers to "expert pundits" in the media are the exact type of player who succeeded in the shit system that's producing the same shite players year after year.

This whole idea of naturalized players playing for the national team is interesting. Don't see why not imo.

Korea is one of the last holdouts in Asia against any naturalized players, much like England is one of the last holdouts in Europe. I suspect we both suffer quite a bit for it.

He won't be eligible under Home Nations rules anyway. Kinda pointless discussing or monitoring him when he won't be called up.

Exactly. And he's scored two goals, fucking laughable.

I don't think he's far wrong with what he said about the way England play either. The national team would've be far better served in recent years playing like a swashbuckling PL team that a faux European team IMO.

I think it's wrong that the FA are approaching a player who has hitherto expressed no desire to play for England purely because 'the rules' allow them to do so. If the Januzaj comes out and says I want to play for England, England is my home then that's fine, if that's the case there wouldn't be any need for the FA to approach him.

When you have FA's approaching players who are potentially eligible to represent a Country it starts to get a bit murky. It also seems contrary to the spirit of International Competition.

FWIW I don't like the parachuting in of other sportsmen into various National Teams.

I don't think he's far wrong with what he said about the way England play either. The national team would've be far better served in recent years playing like a swashbuckling PL team that a faux European team IMO.

They beat Spain (in a friendly) playing like Chelsea did in the Champions League IIRC so there may be something to that. Better equipped to win a tournament like Greece did than most teams if you think about it. Best shot too.

The groundwork to win a trophy any other way won't come about for a long, long time :lol:

FWIW

http://i.imgur.com/Et9BpUk.png

The top tweet has pretty much cleared it up. I still think he's a cunt mind and that is one of the reasons why I can never really support him in the England team, don't get me wrong, he's a great player but the demeanour he shows just makes me want to really kick the fuck out of him. How has it come to this? The England team is no longer likeable.

They beat Spain (in a friendly) playing like Chelsea did in the Champions League IIRC so there may be something to that. Better equipped to win a tournament like Greece did than most teams if you think about it. Best shot too.

The groundwork to win a trophy any other way won't come about for a long, long time :lol:

Was getting at more the 'golden generation'. England have little to no chance now whatever they try and do. I doubt any team will do a Greece again due to the fitness levels required especially in a WC / expanded Euros.

What's the big deal with him smoking a cig btw? Certainly not the smartest thing for a professional athlete to do, but the way he's so strongly denying everything makes it seem like a rape allegation.

What's the big deal with him smoking a cig btw? Certainly not the smartest thing for a professional athlete to do, but the way he's so strongly denying everything makes it seem like a rape allegation.

Build 'em up, knock 'em down. It's how our press/mentality for a lot works.

reckon England will get maximum of 4 points from their next 2 games, and will head to the play-offs after Ukraine take maximum points off Poland and San Marino.

They'll lose their lead in closing stages of either game after Roy decides to park the bus after being a goal up.

Was getting at more the 'golden generation'. England have little to no chance now whatever they try and do. I doubt any team will do a Greece again due to the fitness levels required especially in a WC / expanded Euros.

Do you think the game has changed that much since 2004? The styles of play are somewhat different at the very top, but if anything teams are more even as almost every nation has imported European fitness, organisation, and defensive styles while talent continues to disperse. The WC is only one more match than the continental tournaments and while I doubt any outsiders will actually win, there is room for them to go very far.

Do you think the game has changed that much since 2004? The styles of play are somewhat different at the very top, but if anything teams are more even as almost every nation has imported European fitness, organisation, and defensive styles while talent continues to disperse. The WC is only one more match than the continental tournaments and while I doubt any outsiders will actually win, there is room for them to go very far.

Not massively but I think defending and speed of possession/attack of the better sides to has improved somewhat plus Greece was an absolutely anomaly in recent years. You could argue Chelsea but the semi final 2nd leg and final wasn't representative of the whole cup run.

FWIW

http://i.imgur.com/Et9BpUk.png

The top tweet has pretty much cleared it up. I still think he's a c*** mind and that is one of the reasons why I can never really support him in the England team, don't get me wrong, he's a great player but the demeanour he shows just makes me want to really kick the f*** out of him. How has it come to this? The England team is no longer likeable.

He is not a great player

Think Wenger needs to manager Wilshere carefully from now on in as it seems like there is a reputation developing here which could halt his career. Personally i think we shouldn’t be  mounting this pressure on him on and off field, the press build him to be the 'golden boy' of the next generation but then willingly shoot him down with the last smoking farce and his latest quotes which they took out of context. He should be being protected not hung out to dry.

Guest firetotheworks

I think I've made this point before, but the whole playing for one country in your adult life and being born or having heritage from another is a bit annoying, but then if you think back through your own family there's always going to be something stops you from being purely from one country. We're all mongoloids and I think that for that reason, your cultural background is just as important and where you were born. Podolski is the obvious example, but it does get pretty complicated.