The England Thread

Pilko

We'll be fine man, friendlies aren't reflective of the real thing in a whole host of ways. I think we'll do well, good mix of players.

That excuse might work for a team like Italy, who step it up when it matters.

We don't step it up, and this is very likely how we'll play over the coming couple of weeks.

Throughout the 3 friendlies it's been blatantly obvious that the players haven't been pushing themselves at all. I don't really blame them. The best 11 is a mix of players who either know they'll start or know this WC is their last real chance to shine as international players. Should be no reflection of how they'll play when it matters.

Except this is generally how we've played for the past X years in friendlies, qualifiers and tournaments with the odd exception where we looked genuinely quality.

No, they haven't been pushing themselves to 100% in these 3 games - of course they wouldn't - but to just write them off as though they're not any sort of indicator as to what will happen is downright foolish. Other countries may have had dodgy results but most if not all have shown they can step it up in tournaments. We have most certainly not.

The only way I can see things perhaps being surprisingly better than expected is if Hodgson just fully puts his trust in youth - Lallana, Barkley, Sterling being the key three (assuming Ox is out). Just let them loose and see what happens, because the same-old doesn't work. But, since it's highly unlikely he'll do that, I think these friendlies are a worrying trend.

He's an astute football man, Hoddle. Amazes me that some wouldn't have him as our manager.

Then he says he'd play Lampard and Gerrard in the middle.

I wouldn't do it, but there's a decent case for that provided there's young legs around them. Gerrard is the best passer in the squad and Lampard is arguably the most natural goalscorer in the squad.

Personally I'd keep Frank on the bench till the last 20.

I think there's very promising signs here, especially if Rooney can get his arse into gear. The Gerrard/Henderson partnership is strong and some mix of Sterling, Welbeck, Lallana, Ox, Rooney, Barkley will cause any team problems.

Cannot wait for this tournament.

Lampard is lucky to be playing at the WC this year.  Shouldn't get a kick unless we are heading to pens and aren't interested in winning in ET

Who would you have instead?

Has anyone done an Italy/England cross XI? Would any England players get into Italy's starting lineup?

TBF England's current form is still vastly better than Italy's.

True, problem is Italy know exactly how they will play and what Eleven they will use. My issue with us i genuine believe Hodgson still doesn't know what his best eleven is and how to set up that eleven to get the best from it.

Which greatly concerns me, not bothered about the friendly results and individual performances but how Hodgson has mixed and matched players into the roles concerns me on WC success.

I don't think Italy really know either to be honest and if they do it's only been decided in the last week. They've used different formations and personnel in their last 4 friendlies.

Owt been said about the stuff thrown at Sturridge? Bet he's not delighted about that.

Can't think why. At least the fan hit the fucking target.

:bluestar:

I f***ing love Roy. He's the closest thing we've got to a modern Bobby.

:thup:

He's likeable, English, well over 60 and a good manager. Is that what you mean?

He could've meant that we may get somewhere in spite of the manager like we did in 86 and 90.

I still think we'll have a decent tournament.

The pre-tournament friendlies, imho, have been far more encouraging than those of the last few competitions.

It wasn't long ago we were watching long cross field balls to Peter Crouch in a tournament warm up.

The options, the youth, the flexibility and the sensible management from Roy all give me great hope that we won't embarrass ourselves.

I'm strangely positive on the whole too, but could be setting myself up for a fall as per usual.

Even looking at it fairly pessimistically there's at least equal amounts of stuff to be excited about as there is to be skeptical of.

I'm strangely positive on the whole too, but could be setting myself up for a fall as per usual.

Even looking at it fairly pessimistically there's at least equal amounts of stuff to be excited about as there is to be skeptical of.

:thup:

My expectations are fairly low tbf but, all I want from them, is to have a good go and put themselves in a position from which they can build and improve for the next tournament.

What gives me confidence about this squad is that I genuinely think they'll not go down without giving it a good go and also that they're not burdened by previous failures.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I can't help liking Hodgson as well. :aww:

Owt been said about the stuff thrown at Sturridge? Bet he's not delighted about that.

He was in a right strop afterwards. He was stomping about the pitch like an angry toddler. It looked like he couldn't care less about the match.