The England Thread

Pilko

Premier League being the problem doesn't explain us being shite throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s

The people at the top of the FA have a lot to answer for. For years it's been an old boys club. Look at Brooking for example. How he is still in a job I do not know.

It's why Brian Clough never got the England job. They were too afraid of what he would do. Still very much an old boys network, almost as bad as FIFA. Corrupt to the end, all lining their own pockets.

Personally I think we should go with this team for the game against Costa Rica.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jones Baines

Barkley Wilshere

Sterling Rooney Ox (still injured?)

Sturridge

Need to start early, get some of the young players blooded and some competitive international football under them and use this World Cup as an experience and a lesson. Gerrard is going to be 35 by the time the Euro's come by so he needs to be gone as soon as possible and the longer he stays around the worse it will be for the National team imo. 

Why oh why would anyone play Barkley in a defensive midfield position?

Guest palnese

Personally I think we should go with this team for the game against Costa Rica.

Hart

Barkley Wilshere

Sterling Rooney Ox (still injured?)

Sturridge

Need to start early, get some of the young players blooded and some competitive international football under them and use this World Cup as an experience and a lesson. Gerrard is going to be 35 by the time the Euro's come by so he needs to be gone as soon as possible and the longer he stays around the worse it will be for the National team imo. 

Why oh why would anyone play Barkley in a defensive midfield position?

It doesn't have to be a DM position.

I wouldn't go massively wacky tbh

Forster

Gerrard Wilshere

Sterling Barkley Rooney

Sturridge

That'd do it for me.

I think Baines deserves time starting for England at lb, given his many years behind Cole. Once again, imo the most important change we need is a mental one, than a personnel change.

are you on drugs Gerrard ffs  :frantic: he contributed as much to our defeats as our woeful defence imho  :blackeye:

Don't particularly agree, but either way, I couldn't care less. It's a pointless game. I'm playing players who I'd play in the future + Gerrard swansong.

beg to differ tbh he can rot in self pity now ,never any good for England alot of the time imho  due to lampard and him cancelling each other out etc but will probably play him anyway being the untouchable captain Fantastic

And persisting with Gerrard ffs. Time to make Rooney captain and give Gerrard and Lampard and one last game and be done with them.

:lol: The only person who has put Gerrard in there is me, and I specifically stated it'd be his last game.

I'm sure there was a study done about England's progress at international tournaments and, given various factors including wealth and population size etc, we tend to achieve what we should do. I will have to see if I can find it as obviously one could look at holland and Spain as achieving more.

It's in a book called soccernomics - why england lose. Apparently our record has actually improved since the beginning of the premier league.

Untested team - fails the test.

Normally we've had a solid defence, we didn't have that this time. And we lack genuine class going forward. This was always a likely occurrence.

Far too simplistic this sort of comment given the other teams coping perfectly well at the World Cup with less.

Untested team - fails the test.

Normally we've had a solid defence, we didn't have that this time. And we lack genuine class going forward. This was always a likely occurrence.

Far too simplistic this sort of comment given the other teams coping perfectly well at the World Cup with less.

Other sides are simply better teams. Playing with philosophies and teams ingrained over a number of years.  Chile and Costa Rica in particular.

No other side as ill-fitting as our own has decided to go play 'attacking' football with a brand new team.

We can't play like The Dutch we don't have the individuals.  Can't play like Chile, don't have the coach or team.

Can you expand on your understanding of the philosophies of the Costa Rican side ingrained over a number of years, then explain how you have time in your life to devote your attention to the point of apparent expertise about every single situation that relates to football as a sport?  Would be helpful, cheers.  Always learning.

Can you expand on your understanding of the philosophies of the Costa Rican side ingrained over a number of years, then explain how you have time in your life to devote your attention to the point of apparent expertise about every single situation that relates to football as a sport?  Would be helpful, cheers.  Always learning.

:lol:  Brutal

Guest neesy111

:lol: :lol:

I can't remember one WC in which we've actually played to or exceeded the sum of our parts when others sides routinely seem to manage it.

I've said it before, but I think we've got to consider the Spanish model of having B teams. It would hurt the competitiveness of the PL massively but encourage much better development of talent in the pivotal 17-22 age bracket. No good players mincing about in reserve games against boys.

http://29nowi3x6xa62rtb0q199oo913a2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/the-undertaker-tombstone-piledriver.gif