The England Thread

Pilko

Gibbs is a very good player. I'd be surprised if Clichy is at Arsenal for more than another year. He might be the better player already.

Clichy barely knows how to defend anymore.

I don't know what the problem is with Arsenal and fullbacks. Sagna has declined for no real reason. Remember looked like becoming one of the world's best players? Now he is just a headless chicken who's took stupid to defend and too unreliable to start on the wings.

Gibbs is a very good player. I'd be surprised if Clichy is at Arsenal for more than another year. He might be the better player already.

Clichy barely knows how to defend anymore.

I don't know what the problem is with Arsenal and fullbacks. Sagna has declined for no real reason. Remember looked like becoming one of the world's best players? Now he is just a headless chicken who's took stupid to defend and too unreliable to start on the wings.

Same with Eboue.

Although he might just be a bit shit anyway.

Kind of an exciting squad really. I've lost interest in England, but it would be nice if we could develop an actual team - rather than a group of eleven individuals. I know we've been saying that for a long time. However, in some daft paradox, now we seem sparse on genuinely gifted footballers - we can create a system where everyone plays for one another. There's some bloody good young and determined players in that squad. A new chemistry is what's needed for England.

Just hope Capello's cautious, rigid and constrained football philosophy doesn't restrict the chances of this happening. Which it probably will.

What's the sudden love-in with Gibbs about? Is he a left back? I'd dare say Baines is comfortably better.

And that is a pretty depressing front-line.

Smalling :lol: FML.

How can you say Baines is comfortably better if you haven't really seen much of Gibbs?

What's the sudden love-in with Gibbs about? Is he a left back? I'd dare say Baines is comfortably better.

And that is a pretty depressing front-line.

Smalling :lol: FML.

How can you say Baines is comfortably better if you haven't really seen much of Gibbs?

Hence why I said I'd dare say. I'll happily change my mind in due course.

"comfortably better" may have been over-enthusiastic. :lol:

Gibbs reminds me a lot of Ashley Cole when he was that age. Has that eagerness Cole seems to have lost too.

Would that be the same Ashley Cole who rarely puts a foot wrong for club or county and is widely regarded as the best around?

Our strength in depth is quite worrying.

It really bugs me how pretty much every England manager gets hung out to dry by the meeja - yet they seem to forget that especially now, Capello is working with a very average bunch of players.

The striking options are the worst in my lifetime. (I'm 25) When I was growing we up we had the likes of Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Wright, Fowler and Collymore. All of those would walk into this team.

The future does look quite bright. We have a lot of potential with the likes of Wilshere, Johnson, Gibbs, Walcott, Carroll, Rodwell, Albrighton, Henderson, Jones, Wickham, Smalling and others I've no doubt forgotten providing plenty of reasons for enthusiasm. Whether they make it at international level is of course a different matter.

The future does look quite bright. We have a lot of potential with the likes of Wilshere, Johnson, Gibbs, Walcott, Carroll, Rodwell, Henderson, Jones, Wickham, Smalling and others providing plenty of reasons for enthusiasm. Whether they make it at international level is of course a different matter.

No Baines? ;)

Wilshere is the one who looks like he's a superstar in the making. Hopefully the team will be built around him in years to come. England haven't had a midfielder whose comfortable enough keeping possession at the top level since Scholes. We've certainly missed that - even though Scholes wasn't up to much in his final years in an England shirt.

McEachran of Chelsea looks canny too.

Wilshere is the pick of the bunch though, he should already be starting for England IMO.

The commentators seem to be raving about him every time his name is anywhere near the team sheet. I can't say I've seen anything of him though.

The future does look quite bright. We have a lot of potential with the likes of Wilshere, Johnson, Gibbs, Walcott, Carroll, Rodwell, Henderson, Jones, Wickham, Smalling and others providing plenty of reasons for enthusiasm. Whether they make it at international level is of course a different matter.

No Baines? ;)

Wilshere is the one who looks like he's a superstar in the making. Hopefully the team will be built around him in years to come. England haven't had a midfielder whose comfortable enough keeping possession at the top level since Scholes. We've certainly missed that - even though Scholes wasn't up to much in his final years in an England shirt.

Leighton's too good for England, naturally.

Agree on Wilshere. He shows a calmness and control you wouldn't expect from someone so young. Naturally I'm always going to say this but I really do think him and Rodwell could be a superb central midfield partnership for years to come.

I just hope Capello gives these youngsters a proper chance. Calling them up and leaving them on the bench/giving them 10 minutes at the end doesn't represent a fair chance. Sure, they'll get the buzz of being in the squad, training with experienced England players but really we want to have them playing good chunks of matches. Hell, these friendlies - start them. Give them as much of a chance as possible.