Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

The only problem I see in this report (if it is true) is the part that he overdraws his account. Nothing wrong with spending 75K if it is within his limits. Football is a non-scalable profession, for every one superstar thousands fail to even become a professional. Anyone trying out football as a profession is taking a massive gamble and deserves all the winnings (which he can spend whatever way he wants) if he succeeds. There's no point comparing his earnings and expenditure with ours. Footballers live in a different world all together...hitting Martins for 'overspending' is just jealousy.

Rather than blaming Martins, I'm more suspicious with the company, looks like they're out to make a killing from someone they think/know they can take advantage of. 

The only problem I see in this report (if it is true) is the part that he overdraws his account. Nothing wrong with spending 75K if it is within his limits. Football is a non-scalable profession, for every one superstar thousands fail to even become a professional. Anyone trying out football as a profession is taking a massive gamble and deserves all the winnings (which he can spend whatever way he wants) if he succeeds. There's no point comparing his earnings and expenditure with ours. Footballers live in a different world all together...hitting Martins for 'overspending' is just jealousy.

Rather than blaming Martins, I'm more suspicious with the company, looks like they're out to make a killing from someone they think/know they can take advantage of. 

I wouldn't mind if he really had "earned" his money due to good performances. Unfortunately looking at this report and keeping those photos of him at various parties in mind I can't help but getting the feeling that an unprofessional life style and poor performances as well as continuous injuries go hand in hand.

says he earns 75k a week - took out 40k at weekends and another 25 on a monday, that still leaves 10k a week savings/pay the bills what id give for that haha. just hope hes not being scammed via one of those emails from nigeria

I wouldn't mind if he really had "earned" his money due to good performances. Unfortunately looking at this report and keeping those photos of him at various parties in mind I can't help but getting the feeling that an unprofessional life style and poor performances as well as continuous injuries go hand in hand.

Ledley King is a model pro, never touches a drop.

Ledley King is a model pro, never touches a drop.

Yes and there a were and are serial boozers who have had fantastic careers and performed well regularly. But those exceptions are not really the point, are they?

75k is his gross wage.  he would pay hefty amount of tax.  say 45% ??

would leave him struggling on 40k a week !  dunno how this country expects sports personalities to survive on such a pitance!

seriously...what a tit head.  HE wasnt very clever player on the pitch either.

After a hard day's Bentley buying, Obafemi retires to his palatial home, where he practices his front-flipees on a giant trampoline, stopping occasionally to grap handfuls of fruit pastels and m&ms from golden bowls held by servants.

Can imagine him being a bit like an african willy wonka.

Talking of Djemba Djemba...

Lack of intelligence+poor background=inability to manage money.

Seen this story play out a million times before. The guys still young and on a rather lucrative contract, so he'll be alright (unlike Mr. Djemba Djemba), but he ought to take the opportunity to grow up a bit and learn to manage life.

...and willies....

After a hard day's Bentley buying, Obafemi retires to his palatial home, where he practices his front-flipees on a giant trampoline, stopping occasionally to grap handfuls of fruit pastels and m&ms from golden bowls held by servants.

Can imagine him being a bit like an african willy wonka.

...led me to check his Wiki entry:

Djemba-Djemba rose to prominence with Nantes in France. His impressive performances as a feisty and uncompromising tackler for the French club earned him a dream move to Manchester United for £3.5 million in the summer of 2003, signed by Alex Ferguson as a possible eventual successor to Roy Keane, by then in his 32nd year. He then sucked someone's Willy, and was sent to jail for it.

Of this... I was not aware :laugh:

75k is his gross wage.  he would pay hefty amount of tax.  say 45% ??

would leave him struggling on 40k a week !  dunno how this country expects sports personalities to survive on such a pitance!

seriously...what a tit head.   HE wasnt very clever player on the pitch either.

Are those gross wages? In Spain salaries are always reported as net wages. Might be different in England.

says he earns 75k a week - took out 40k at weekends and another 25 on a monday, that still leaves 10k a week savings/pay the bills what id give for that haha. just hope hes not being scammed via one of those emails from nigeria

It's not like twenty five grand can be made to last all week though.

Guest thefishman

what the hell was he spending all that on? there's only so much crap you can buy in newcastle.

http://amyboo.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/refresh-new-coke.jpg