Taylor reassures Toon fans

Dave

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5441992,00.html

Taylor reassures Toon fans

Dublin training camp created team bond

Last updated: 19th July 2009

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor believes the club's off-field problems have brought the team closer together.

With several Toon players admitting they have no idea where their futures lie after their pre-season fixture with Shamrock Rovers last weekend, many fans are becoming disillusioned by goings on at the club.

Some players have also expressed their dissatisfaction over the club's inability to appoint a permanent boss as they await a potential takeover.

However, Taylor has reassured fans that all is well within the player's squad following a week-long training camp in Dublin.

"After the Shamrock Rovers game, they (the players) were asked these questions and people might think that's what the fans want to hear," said Taylor.

"But it isn't, because they don't realise what it's like. Dublin was the best thing that's happened to Newcastle United this pre-season. It's the best thing we could have done.

"We had to stick together. All these training sessions, I know they have been tight and close together, but we are not complaining.

"We have got no moaning any more. In the Premier League, maybe for some players it was a bit easy-going, but it's been difficult, it's stricter and people are realising that.

"The fans at this moment probably think the club is a shambles and the players haven't got a clue what is going on. They probably think we are fighting in training.

"But with us, it is completely different and I just wish they could even spend one day just looking at the training ground and the way we are going on with each other.

"It's a much better team-bonding."

With less than three weeks to go before Newcastle kick off their Championship campaign against West Brom, the squad appear to be getting things together following their 7-2 thumping of Darlington, and Taylor vows the team are up for a scrap.

"We are just thinking about one game at a time. We have got West Brom as our first game and we have just got to win that game," he said.

"I don't care how ugly it gets, we need to get the result we need, and that's all we are going to look for."

With many want-away players in the camp following their relegation, Taylor has reassured fans he will honour his contract and remain a Newcastle man as long as the club want him.

"I have got two years on my contract and unless Newcastle sell me, I am still a Newcastle United player," he said.

:clap2:

Nice to hear a bit of positivity for a change.

Guest firetotheworks

He's something well worth saying in that. He obviously sees it through the eyes of the fans too, but is in a position to put us slightly more at ease. And for that  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck the team bonding.  Heard it all before.

1.  Why did the team need to bond (yet again)?

2. The team will bond with whover they are drinking with at any given time.

3. They still cannot play football like a fucking team anyway.

I don't think the team spirit's any worse than anywhere else tbh, it's just a particularly bad set of players, too many of whom have seen their best days. I expect this season to be similar to last, we'll get out run and out-worked in most matches unless there are changes.

I'd make Taylor captain tbh.The kid makes all of the right noises.

a captain has to be either the most level-headed player in a the team or the most influential player in the team, Taylor is by no means either

He's not ready by a long stretch. Can see him being thrusted in to it now Beye has gone, unless we buy a captain (but that probably not the best thing to do)

a captain has to be either the most level-headed player in a the team or the most influential player in the team, Taylor is by no means either

He's not ready by a long stretch. Can see him being thrusted in to it now Beye has gone, unless we buy a captain (but that probably not the best thing to do)

Aye I can see that happening like. I was initially against it but now there really doesn't seem to be that many options for it at all so it might not be such a bad thing for him.

The thing is there are not too many stand out candidates for Captain. With the current lot in charge Smith, Butt and Nolan are going to be front runners aren't they. So even for all his faults I'll take Taylor as Captain over them wasters anytime. Not ideal though!!!

Aye I can see that happening like. I was initially against it but now there really doesn't seem to be that many options for it at all so it might not be such a bad thing for him.

I'd just like him to have a season in a settled back four and a winning team, let him grow a bit and develop. Captaining him too soon could be the next anchor to keep him down and another year wasted.

The thing is that the club needs some players to talk to the press now and again and very few of ours can be bothered to do so.  Even our captain last season chose to withdraw from his media duties.  At least Taylor is willing to do that and he has to put on a positive face.

Even if I sometimes cringe at what he says, I think that at least the kid is getting out there and doing what some of his more experienced colleagues should be doing ahead of him.

Oh and what about the criticism in those articles of the attendance the other night ------  for a friendly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mirror -  "only 17,000 turned up"

Star -  "Fewer than 17,000 fans turned up for the friendly against Leeds – less than a third of last season’s average"

Sun - ".. the laughable 16,000 crowd for the Toon's tie with Leeds at St James' Park on Wednesday - with 5,000 of those visiting fans"

Guest Stephen927

If Hughton is in charge, Butt will get the captaincy.

It's not an ideal situation, I think it would be too soon for Taylor to get the armband but there is a lack of good alternatives. He acts like a captain with his passion and interaction with the media, far more than Owen ever did.

We have never had a captain since Shearer left, merely only someone to lead the team out looking somewhat uncomfortable in that role and more terrified by being the front man in the queue then the match ahead.

I would currently have Taylor however he is hardly going to change things that much.