Arsenal or Liverpool.

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Stephen927

If Liverpool finish on the same points as last season then I think that will be enough for them to win the league. If Ferguson is finished in the transfer market then they will really struggle to make any real impact at the top.

Liverpool need to hold onto Alonso, keep Torres fit and Gerrard firing and this will be an even better chance than last season for them to win the league.

Arsenal haven't been contenders for a long time. Robin Van Persie is good enough to fire them to the top when he's fit, but other than him they haven't really had that clinical finisher up front. Eduardo has been unlucky with injury problems but before that he looked like a player who could bag 15+ goals. They have a couple of wow players, Fabregas, RVP, Toure, but then quite a few young but average players who I can't see improving much more like Bendtner and Denilson who are holding them back.

Arsenal's hands are tied now with the new stadium and the massive debt they're carrying. They need to improve to keep their top four place but they haven't got the funds to do it unless they sell first.

I am more inclined to think that of the two you mentioned it will be Liverpool to drop out rather than Arsenal.

Arsenal have had consistancy in an excellent manager and a perrenially young team. They are unable to hold onto the mega-stars they produce, but they keep producing them... and those that stay invariably get better. Since losing Viera and Henry they don't really have a single player that they rely on for winning. Liverpool on the other hand have Gerrard and Torres which they do rely upon and unlike Arsenal of 6 years ago - they haven't won the league. If Gerrard is out for a portion of the season due to prison or injury, tehn it will be hard for them. Also he isn't getting any younger or better. And Liverpool, like most of the premiership, have questionable finances. Arsenal isn't.

On the other hand, Liverpool's been getting better year on year whereas Arsenal seem to be perennially stuck with a team that's two or three years too young.

No-one really knows about Arsenal's finances. The new stadium appears to be more than paying for itself, but they'll only make a fraction of what was expected from the redevelopment of Highbury.

Liverpool's finances are solid, if unspectacular. Those of the company that owns the club are disastrous, however :(

Spurs should do quite well, it was their awful start to the season that did for them last year, if they can avoid that they should come in the opt 6 or 7 easily.

Liverpool are very good but do rely on their two star players... Gerrard in particular. Arsenal have class but not sure they can put it together consistently enough yet.

Spurs should do quite well, it was their awful start to the season that did for them last year, if they can avoid that they should come in the opt 6 or 7 easily.

Liverpool are very good but do rely on their two star players... Gerrard in particular. Arsenal have class but not sure they can put it together consistently enough yet.

Don't fall into the Spurs trap! This happens every year!

- Spurs are looking good for this season

- Fill fantasy team with bargainous Spurs players

- Spurs get raped for the first 8 games of the season

- Get rid of Spurs players from fantasy team

- Due to fear of relegation, Spurs fire manager

- Spurs slowly gain form, finishing strongly, next season should be better

etc

I still think it'll be the same 'top 4'.

Man City haven't bought any decent defenders (yet) and I don't think their strikeforce will gel until next season.

Liverpool have got no chance of winning the Premiership unless they bring in another striker.  Also whether Rafa's got the mentality for it is another matter.  After that 'rant', Fergie's got the upper hand.

this is very much an outside bet but does anyone else think chelsea might drop out? if hypothetically terry went to man city, others might follow him out the door and since they are being upstaged by other teams in terms of spending and attraction now, they might ot sign as big players as they have sold. coupled with the fact that theyve had several managers since mourinho now, we of all fans should know what instability leads to. as i say its unlikely but not completely out of the question.

• 1 month later...

I am more inclined to think that of the two you mentioned it will be Liverpool to drop out rather than Arsenal.

Arsenal have had consistancy in an excellent manager and a perrenially young team. They are unable to hold onto the mega-stars they produce, but they keep producing them... and those that stay invariably get better. Since losing Viera and Henry they don't really have a single player that they rely on for winning. Liverpool on the other hand have Gerrard and Torres which they do rely upon and unlike Arsenal of 6 years ago - they haven't won the league. If Gerrard is out for a portion of the season due to prison or injury, tehn it will be hard for them. Also he isn't getting any younger or better. And Liverpool, like most of the premiership, have questionable finances. Arsenal isn't.

:snod:

Smug bump.

Liverpool won't finish in the top 4.

Tenner says they do?

they wont finish above Arsenal.

Never said they would. But I don't think City will break the top 4 this season.

was refering to the thread title.

i never said, you ever said they would.

I read a stat on Soccernet that I thought was very interesting:

Against Villa, Liverpool lost for the first time in a game where Torres has scored.

Before today it read:

Won 23 drawn 5

A significant first. Torres and Gerrard make Liverpool win. I would argue that although Gerrard is world-class he is not as good as he was two to three seasons ago. He's peaked. They have a thin squad and they are not spending money like they used to. So dropping down to 5th or 6th I think is possible.

Arsenal are now playing a bunch of youngsters that they bought 2 to 4 years ago. Have any of them peaked? Probably not. I can see players like Bendtner, Song-Billong, Fab, Vermaelen and Denilson all getting much much better. I can't see them leaving the top 4 - and I can't see them doing something stupid, like sacking Wenger for not winning anything this year.

Vermaelen looks to be a class act even at this stage, could be the difference as I think Carragher has been on the slide for a while now. Toure and Gallas were too similar and these two look to complement eachother much better. I really hope Liverpool drop out and either Everton or Spurs get in there. City can fuck off.

Vermaelen looks to be a class act even at this stage, could be the difference as I think Carragher has been on the slide for a while now. Toure and Gallas were too similar and these two look to complement eachother much better. I really hope Liverpool drop out and either Everton or Spurs get in there. City can f*** off.

Carragher is 31 and will soon become a liability.

City will keep spending until they win stuff - I am afraid they aren't going anywhere but up.

Liverpool have a good chance of dropping out if there left side is Insua and Babel. That's without mentioning Lucas in the centre of the park. They have some shocking players in there squad aswell, if they pick up a few injuries there fucked.

I read a stat on Soccernet that I thought was very interesting:

Against Villa, Liverpool lost for the first time in a game where Torres has scored.

Before today it read:

Won 23 drawn 5

A significant first. Torres and Gerrard make Liverpool win. I would argue that although Gerrard is world-class he is not as good as he was two to three seasons ago. He's peaked. They have a thin squad and they are not spending money like they used to. So dropping down to 5th or 6th I think is possible.

Arsenal are now playing a bunch of youngsters that they bought 2 to 4 years ago. Have any of them peaked? Probably not. I can see players like Bendtner, Song-Billong, Fab, Vermaelen and Denilson all getting much much better. I can't see them leaving the top 4 - and I can't see them doing something stupid, like sacking Wenger for not winning anything this year.

Good points - but I also think that Benitez may be spitting the dummy out a bit because the board have stopped him spending big money this season ; as we know only too well, any disaffection between board and manager soon transfers itself to the players, as does complacency once they realize that there isn't going to be the competition for places that they thought there would be....

Remember a chat I had with a lad I worked with last summer.  We watched the Liverpool champions league qualifier game and all he did was lay into Alonso, saying that he was one of the worst players in the Premiership!  Some fans really haven't got a fucking clue how good or bad certain players are.  Liverpool will miss Alonso like a fucking tortoise would miss it's shell.

• 1 month later...

As I live local to Nottingham and am feeling particularly miserable after today I tried to look for some bright spot to take my mind off it, so,  after Liverpool's result today I think that they'll have trouble finishing top four; given their huge debt I wonder of it might spell really big trouble for them. They depend, imo, on Champion's League money more than any of the other top four.