Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

56 points the previous season was not a good total with that squad and the teams around us, whichever way you look at it, and it was only ever going to get worse.

It wasn't only ever going to get worse, it was after we replaced him with Souness.

Trust you to bring that up, has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The team hadn't played well for a long time and Shearer/Speed's decline compounded with ineffective summer signings made the decision inevitable, even if it could be argued it came prematurely.

Anyway, RIP. Let the weaklings try to rewrite history. We all loved him and will continue to do so.

The appointment of Souness is relevant, he replaced Bobby. I still don't agree with your comment that "it was only ever going to get worse."

Based on what?  He'd taken teams backwards 4 times in his managerial career and then turned it around again so why was it only ever going to get worse?

Genuinely unbelievable, still can't quite get my head around it.

Try and get your head around the £50 million we gave him to spend.  :lol:

Come one, don't remind me! Can only laugh about it now we've sorted out the mess.

Guest neesy111

Things were turning soar under Robson, we just went 8 games without winning (before his sacking), erratic press conferences etc.  Though Shepherd put him in an untenable position by declaring his contract would not be renewed.

Though the decision to replace him with Souness was quite frankly the worst decision in the clubs recent history.

We should have won at least two of those games, the Boro game being the worst when they scored with a blatant handball.

Throwing away a 2 goal lead v Norwich at home was pretty bad though.  He wasn't helped by Mike Riley failing to send off Thomas Sorenson v Villa mind.

56 points the previous season was not a good total with that squad and the teams around us, whichever way you look at it, and it was only ever going to get worse.

It wasn't only ever going to get worse, it was after we replaced him with Souness.

Trust you to bring that up, has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The team hadn't played well for a long time and Shearer/Speed's decline compounded with ineffective summer signings made the decision inevitable, even if it could be argued it came prematurely.

Anyway, RIP. Let the weaklings try to rewrite history. We all loved him and will continue to do so.

The appointment of Souness is relevant, he replaced Bobby. I still don't agree with your comment that "it was only ever going to get worse."

Based on what?  He'd taken teams backwards 4 times in his managerial career and then turned it around again so why was it only ever going to get worse?

Nobody is disputing that Souness was the biggest mistake. That only undermines the timing, not the sacking.

I'm not going to build a case against SBR in this thread, no chance. It's obvious to most what should've happened in the summer of '04.

Guest neesy111

The team we had 04/05 was good enough to finish in the top 4 imo, which shows how bad of a manager Souness is.

Nobody is disputing that Souness was the biggest mistake. That only undermines the timing, not the sacking.

I'm not going to build a case against SBR in this thread, no chance. It's obvious to most what should've happened in the summer of '04.

It is, but it's not what you're alluding to. 

The timing is part of the sacking, and getting a replacement would have been no easier at another time when the same people would have been making the decisions.  He was openly replaced by somebody who was supposed to be tougher on discipline and Souness would have been seen as that earlier or later.  The whole process was ill timed, ill thought out and unnecessary.

We put him in a position of losing authority by telling everybody that it was his last season.  The club should have told him privately that we weren’t going to renew his contract after that season if we hadn’t turned things around and that would have given him a fighting chance.

Sir Bobby could easily have turned around our early season form and he's done it at least 2 or 3 times in the previous seasons and he'd taken clubs backwards at previous clubs and turned that around.  I don’t see any reason to believe that he wasn’t able to recognise mistakes and correct them.

We should have kept Bobby and we should have backed him, he deserved that.  Not a single person can say that he couldn’t have turned things around because his record is proof that he could have done it.

RIP.

Shepherd and some of the players did for Sir Bobby. Fans who think he was passed it only need to remember what happened to us next.

I was furious when he was sacked; the team let him down at the end of the previous season and at the start of the next season we got 2 points out of 9 when we should have had 9. JFH punched a last minute equaliser for boro, we battered Spurs at home and lost 1-0 and then lost concentration at home to Norwich after we led 2-0 and were coasting.

He was royally shafted and the image of him leaving the ground and the obvious subsequent hurt in his immediate interviews afterwards put those involved to shame.

It makes me sick when history is rewritten. He loved the club, the region and was a very proud man. He pulled the club up when it was down and should have been shown more loyalty. We played some fantastic football during his time here.

RIP.

:lol: Which Bobby had a whole 4 games to work with. Don't forget, it was he who planned to manoeuvre Shearer out of the team; it was Souness who was having none of that. That's one reason why Kluivert was so ineffectual. He had his problems but he still managed 13 goals in a season where he played a bit-part role; he looked a class above at times. Didn't have to be the relatively pants signing it turned out to be.

The timing of the sacking was as catastrophic a decision as appointing Souness; with that in mind i can understand the reasons to let him go at the end of 03/04, as opposed to the beginning of 04/05. But i'm with Mick when it comes to denying the idea that "it was only going to get worse". He wasn't backed in the previous summer and our form suffered for it. But he made some promising signings that year in N'Zogbia, Milner, Butt and Kluivert - not forgetting that Robert was coming off the back of a sensational season, and Bellamy was fully fit for the first time in ages. Dyer was a problem child but that had always been the case; it didn't change when Souness arrived and he was actually one of our best players for the next two or three years.

We had a good squad with a weak defense following the loss of Woodgate - there's no reason why we couldn't have had another good year, even if we didn't return to the heights of 01/02. We might have even won the UEFA Cup that year had we still had Bobby.

It's all hypothetical i know but it's wrong to completely write off any further progress we could have made under Sir Bob. The narrative under him had taken a dip. If he was treated properly he could have halted the decline and the whole script of the next few years could've (probably would've, imo) been very different.

Paraphrasing but:

Reporter: "If you win, you go top."

SBR: "If is a big word in football. If I had wings I could fly to the moon."

Reporter: "Would you like to be there though?"

SBR: "Would I like to be where? On the moon?"

:lol:

:lol: Which Bobby had a whole 4 games to work with. Don't forget, it was he who planned to manoeuvre Shearer out of the team; it was Souness who was having none of that. That's one reason why Kluivert was so ineffectual. He had his problems but he still managed 13 goals in a season where he played a bit-part role; he looked a class above at times. Didn't have to be the relatively pants signing it turned out to be.

The timing of the sacking was as catastrophic a decision as appointing Souness; with that in mind i can understand the reasons to let him go at the end of 03/04, as opposed to the beginning of 04/05. But i'm with Mick when it comes to denying the idea that "it was only going to get worse". He wasn't backed in the previous summer and our form suffered for it. But he made some promising signings that year in N'Zogbia, Milner, Butt and Kluivert - not forgetting that Robert was coming off the back of a sensational season, and Bellamy was fully fit for the first time in ages. Dyer was a problem child but that had always been the case; it didn't change when Souness arrived and he was actually one of our best players for the next two or three years.

We had a good squad with a weak defense following the loss of Woodgate - there's no reason why we couldn't have had another good year, even if we didn't return to the heights of 01/02. We might have even won the UEFA Cup that year had we still had Bobby.

It's all hypothetical i know but it's wrong to completely write off any further progress we could have made under Sir Bob. The narrative under him had taken a dip. If he was treated properly he could have halted the decline and the whole script of the next few years could've (probably would've, imo) been very different.

We finished on 56 points, man. We'd declined a lot due to aging players and an imbalanced squad and that wasn't at all addressed in the summer. If anything it was worsened.

Win the Uefa Cup, man. Get real.

We finished on 56 points, man. We'd declined a lot due to aging players and an imbalanced squad and that wasn't at all addressed in the summer. If anything it was worsened.

Win the Uefa Cup, man. Get real.

Does it sound so ridiculous just because it's us? We were but a gastrocnemius away from a semi-final against AZ Alkmaar man, and that was with Souness and without the likes of Robert even playing (never mind on top form). Moscow were a decent side that year, but not as good as Marseille or Valencia and we could've at least made the final. I know it's all ifs and buts, but it's not as cut-and-dry as you've made out.

Said this numerous times before but that situation was all Shepherd's fault.  Back him or sack him.  In the summer.

The ludicrous decision to announce it was Robson's last season wasn't the only way he was undermined either, I'm not convinced that Robson wanted the likes of Kluivert and Butt that summer.  Seem to remember reading that Robson would have preferred Carrick from West Ham ahead of Butt for starters, which would have actually worked out as a far cheaper and wiser investment.  I wasn't happy that summer and couldn't decide if I wanted him backed or sacked but you do one or the other, as I say.

It wasn't Shepherds fault that the fans didn't back Robson. We all had concerns, but I was standing there giving support on the lap of honour and there was a stream of disgruntled so and sos walking in front of me saying fucked if I'm staying to applaud this lot. I was one of those saying that we should look to replace Robson early that summer or back him, but I was shocked by the attitude that we deserved better than him and the team that day, and I think it set the wheels in Shepherds mind turning.

Said this numerous times before but that situation was all Shepherd's fault.  Back him or sack him.  In the summer.

The ludicrous decision to announce it was Robson's last season wasn't the only way he was undermined either, I'm not convinced that Robson wanted the likes of Kluivert and Butt that summer.  Seem to remember reading that Robson would have preferred Carrick from West Ham ahead of Butt for starters, which would have actually worked out as a far cheaper and wiser investment.  I wasn't happy that summer and couldn't decide if I wanted him backed or sacked but you do one or the other, as I say.

It wasn't Shepherds fault that the fans didn't back Robson. We all had concerns, but I was standing there giving support on the lap of honour and there was a stream of disgruntled so and sos walking in front of me saying fucked if I'm staying to applaud this lot. I was one of those saying that we should look to replace Robson early that summer or back him, but I was shocked by the attitude that we deserved better than him and the team that day, and I think it set the wheels in Shepherds mind turning.

Yeah but the point is that whatever you do as chairman you have to be seen to have 100% conviction in it, announcing it was his last season was an awful move.

Paraphrasing but:

Reporter: "If you win, you go top."

SBR: "If is a big word in football. If I had wings I could fly to the moon."

Reporter: "Would you like to be there though?"

SBR: "Would I like to be where? On the moon?"

Classic Bobby that :thup:

Amazing to think that 3 years has passed.

I am genuinely not trying to promote my blog here, however, I have written my thoughts/tribute to the man here http://wp.me/p2C3TG-4N. Just spent an hour reading about his life. Made me happy and sad at the same time and am now in quite a reflective mood. Would love to hear any comments that people have.

It's a good article, well written. The only error I noticed was that you'd put September 2009 as the time he took charge here instead of September 1999

Guest neesy111

Personally think that Freddy was the Hall's Patsy for the Robson sacking.

Yeah I do think that's valid actually, should probably aim my criticisms at the board as a whole.

That's true, remember Hall trying to justify it a few months after.