Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest firetotheworks

I wonder what he'd make of the current squad? Something tells me he'd spent 2 years totally rebuilding it.

One word: Pace.

Doesn't seem five years since I sat in the Gallowgate to see Sir Bobby at his charity game. Although we didn't know it,  it was his farewell.  RIP Sir Bobby.

A group of us had a chat after the game in the pub and pretty much agreed we'd not see him again. I thought this was the majority view that this was his swansong?

Utter legend.

p*ssed off that Lee Ryder has referred to him as "the Geordie godfather" - completely wrong choice of words.

I noticed that too....was Sir Bobby head of the mafia or something? I still can't believe that Lee Ryder and Neil Cameron are journalists, their grasp of the English language is absolutely appalling...I can see that as someone who speaks it as a second language.

RIP, he was someone who made me fall in love with NUFC. Like others have said, we really are a far cry from his gentlemanly and competitive conduct these days.  :sad:

Guest reefatoon

This image is similar to one of my favourite pictures that is hanging up in one of the suites at St James'  Class pic.

https://flic.kr/p/owXo2a

Kieron Dyer has had a shitter.. always wondered where Big Al and Bellamy where when that pic was taken

Were they not both injured?  I think we went into the game with Shola up top and he scored a cracker.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2711345/Be-50-five-years-Sir-Bobby-Robsons-passing-grandfather-game-never-old.html

‘What is a club in any case?

‘Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

‘It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

‘It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

‘It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.’