What is your most treasured memory of Sir Bobby?

Ash

I posted this in the match thread last week:

Beating Arsenal at Highbury 3-1

Beating Man Utd 4-3

Beating Leeds 4-3 away

Beating Juve

Drawing with Inter away

Beating Spurs 4-0 with the fantastic Robert goals

Beating Shef Wed 8-0

Feyenoord away was amazing

Also some fine players: Robert, Bellamy, Shearer, Acuna, Solano, Bernard, Dyer, Speed, Woodgate etc (I know some were not signed by SBR

These in particular for me.

Guest dazza

For me Feyenoord & Inter Milan away & Sheff Wed - and of course many many more.

- more good then bad put it that way

Guest Brummiemag

It was down at Highbury, I think we had beaten Arsenal by 3 to 1,  Arsenal had been whinging and cheating and diving as usual and Bobby said after the game that Arsenal needed to learn how to lose with dignity - he was spot on in my opinion

After we'd beat the mackems at the landfill. The away Contingent Sining "Theres only one bobby robson" As he gave an interview.

This. Along with Leeds 4-3 in the snow and Feyernord, even though i wasn't at the latter (:(). Many great memories in the bobby era, that bring a tear to my eye regardless of his death. Honestly think i'll never experience football so good, 3rd in a more exciting, open league, with a lovely geordie manager and led from the front by a great geordie striker.

Rob Lee's goal at Wembley makes me sad, as we shouldve won that game, and reckon we'd have beaten villa.

Guest Wally_McFool

One of the things I will remember about him was from a  bit in a documentary where Bob revealed his amusement at the Press Hysteria when he was supposedly "depressed" about an England result when he was caught leaning on a balcony with his head in his hands.

He revealed that he was actually listening to music on his Walkman and pointed out that if you looked carefully you could see it.

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city'' 

Not a match but the first time I met Sir Bobby at WHL early in 2002.

Spurs had just lost and I had been invited to the players' lounge for post match drinks.  Sir Bobby appeared after a while and I took the opportunity to say 'well played' expecting him to say thank you and walk off to mingle with others as almost all managers do.  But no, he started a conversation about the match and football, which at the time seemed as though it lasted for ages but in truth was probably more like 2 or 3 minutes but that was 2 or 3 minutes more than I had been expecting.  What became obvious afterwards was that he seemed to stop and speak to everyone who spoke to him.

He was, very simply, one of the most gracious and down to earth people I have had the pleasure of meeting.  One of nature's gentlemen.

The Champions League turnaround, just in general. Can remember buzzing like fuck after Juve; i still believed we could actually do it and we did. Cos of him. :smitten:

So gutted today. My absolute hero.

The Champions League turnaround, just in general. Can remember buzzing like fuck after Juve; i still believed we could actually do it and we did. Cos of him. :smitten:

:smitten: :smitten:

I got my first season ticket in 01/02 so his reign as manager will always be a huge, huge factor in my love for the club. If those first few seasons hadn't been such a massive joy to be part of, I don't even know if I would still be renewing today.

So many. As I said in the other thread, the fact that he would take the time to get the entire squad to sign a calendar for 10 year old me along with the indivual signed picture that I got from Shearer just shows the measure of the man.

On the pitch he gave me some of my greatest memories for those few years on the rare occasion I got to make the trip up to Newcastle with my Dad were filled with joy. Remember going to watch us beat Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 at SJP, and to beat Mallorca 4-1 in the Uefa. Those are the two that stick out for me under Bobby, as well as the ones that have been mentioned. The Feyenoord game, Inter away, Man U 4-3 at Home, Leeds 4-3 away, Arsenal 3-1, 1-0 away at Sunderland, the whole of his tenure especially The CL and Uefa Cup runs. Thank you for everything Sir Bobby.

Guest firetotheworks

The way he celebrated when Rob Lee scored against Chelsea is the lasting memory that I have of him.

Guest BooBoo

I was at Leverkusen the day of his 70th birthday and during the second half, the away end all sang "Happy Birthday" until he finally gave us a wave.

amazing, im sitting here with goose bumps all over, all the memories are flooding back. i was in morrocco his first game, but remember jumping all over the place when i heard the score. the Feyenoord game, what can i say, u guys said it all. the shola ameobi and carl cort mix up, lol. this guy is an utter legend, no other word can explain it. hope the club get some kind of dvd of his time at the club.

Guest Howaythetoon

My fave moment has to be him walking around SJP with Gary Lineker for a BBC documentary waxing lyrical about the oak doors and other things, you could physically feel his sheer pride at managing the club he supported as a boy, the club his father brought him up on. He was in awe of the place which is how I feel whenever I pass it, take my seat or see that badge of ours, like a kid looking up to his father or something, a childlike awe that something only greater than ourselves can ever inspire in us. That moment for me summed up not only the man, our club, but also how I feel about it. It's not the players, the actual football or anything like that, its the magnitude of what NUFC is - something special - just like Sir Bobby.

Too many to choose from tbh. One time I do remember was him on the touchline in Turin in 90, in that silver suit during the penalties. It was clearly the biggest match in his career and the way he carried himself throughout it all was just sheer class. It must have been like a dagger through the heart when Waddle's penalty screamed over the bar but he just walked straight over to Beckenbauer, shook his hand and congratulated him. The absolute classiest thing he could possibly have done and it showed me that sometimes things just don't work out in life and sometimes you lose - you can do your utmost to prepare for something but it doesn't mean it's going to go your way. When it does happens you've got to accept it and act with a bit of dignity. It's about doing things the right way despite any anger or frustration bubbling under the surface. You take a deep breath, swallow your pride and show a bit of humility.

He was class personified and I'm so proud he managed and represented us. :)   

He was class personified and I'm so proud he managed and represented us. :)   

Really good comment Midds.

I think each and every Newcastle fan today feels a huge amount of pride that he is "one of us" and that he is part of our club's history.

It's silly really. From the 02/03 season dvd, there's a small clip of Bobby showing the cameracrew the view from the elevator in St. James' Park, looking out on Newcastle, and the smile on Bobby just shows how proud he is of the club and the area. Never realised how high I regarded him before now. RIP Sir Bobby Robson.

Not so much a treasured memory but something which makes me laugh the more i think about it! Think it was WC90 and it was the night before a big match and he was checking on Gazza who was hyperactive, he caught him after lights out standing by the window in his room so Sir Bobby went in and asked him what he was doing, apparently Gazza couldnt sleep and said he was "throwing stones at some chickens", instead of bollocking him Sir Bobby didnt believe he could do it and said "go on then".

I probably havent told the story perfectly, but the idea of the great man stood in a hotel room challenging Gazza to lob stones at chickens gets me everytime.