Joe Kinnear (old thread)

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sir Bobby Robson: "I was staggered about what went on between Joe and the Press this week, with his 52 swear words and personal insults.

"Some people have suggested Joe's outrage was all an act to build a siege mentality.

"I think the anger was genuine, but he needs to be bigger than that.

"I found it all a bit unsavoury and in my view he let the club down.

"If he hoped the confrontation would motivate his players, I'm not sure it will work.

"Senior professionals like Shay Given, Damien Duff and Michael Owen aren't suddenly going to become inspired by their manager swearing at some reporters. To them it's irrelevant.

"They want a proper manager who will do things right to win matches.

"If Joe wants to work wonders, it will be achieved with time on the training pitch, not in the press room. Although the media are an easy target and a minority may be glad to see a reporter or two get their comeuppance, Newcastle fans aren't daft.

"They will respect Kinnear only for his results, not for picking fights. If you look at Newcastle's most successful managers of recent times - Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and myself - you couldn't imagine us being foul-mouthed in a Press conference."

Spot on from Bobby like. Difference in dignity and class between them two is clear for all to see. What a cringeworthy c*** JFK was man.

Apart from the Dalglish bit mind. :lol:

Aye his rant to Bird and getting Zog's name wrong were disgraceful. Sadly the 2 things I remember most about that mad fool. Which I posted about on previous page but didn't really finish my thoughts.

We looked like occasionally getting points from a football match under Kinnear. We were utterly dirge under Shearer, we beat Boro because they were much much worse than us and we had the crowd on our side. Under Shearer we could barely score a goal.

Guest neesy111

We looked like occasionally getting points from a football match under Kinnear. We were utterly dirge under Shearer, we beat Boro because they were much much worse than us and we had the crowd on our side. Under Shearer we could barely score a goal.

Aye.  Apart from that Boro much I thought we were worse under Shearer than Kinnear and Hughton.

FWIW as much as Kinnear's rant was well OTT, a lot of that needed to be said and not many managers would have it in them to say it. Fair play to him.

Why did it need to be said? I honestly don't know the background of those comments, and you may well be right, but what did Bird say/write/do that made such an outburst "necessary"?

Yeah but by the time Shearer came everyone was already convinved we were down after also being terrible under Hughton. Don't think Shearer proved anything good but also can't be judged on 8 games at the end of a soul-destroying season. I think if any manager takes the blame, it has to be Kinnear, but really it was the board for having 5 managerial spells.

JFK's rant is embarrassing, but I think at the time I bought into the seige mentality.

FWIW as much as Kinnear's rant was well OTT, a lot of that needed to be said and not many managers would have it in them to say it. Fair play to him.

Why did it need to be said? I honestly don't know the background of those comments, and you may well be right, but what did Bird say/write/do that made such an outburst "necessary"?

Bird's a liar who - along with most of the local and national media - made us out to be a club in turmoil at every given opportunity around then. I remember him saying something along the lines of us making a disastrous start on the pitch despite the face we'd only lost away to Arsenal, won against Bolton and Coventry and drew away to Man U. He also (as referenced in the conference) implied that Kinnear had already clashed with the players before he even had the job in an official capacity, including a story about a reserve player who'd fallen out with him in 1994. The media were gathering at every hurdle imploring us to fall so they could pick the bones.

Didn't we only score in 2 games out of 8 under Shearer? Absolutely shocking.

Shearer came into a club in panic mode, he did his best FWIW. We were always going to go down that season with the amount of unmotivated shitheads we had tbh. We didn't look like a team once and I think it did the world of good for this club. The season in the Championship was the best we had since Sir Bobby and the most exciting one. I think winning there with such margins created a mentality at the club which showed we were a big club and it was an one-off incident. It also allowed us to clean the house with players like Beye, Bassong, Duff etc. who clearly didn't have the right mentality to play for the club.

The day Kinnear was hired we were going down, whether that was due to him or Keegan I don't know. But the hiring of Kinnear didn't help anyone tbh.

Guest neesy111

Didn't we only score in 2 games out of 8 under Shearer? Absolutely shocking.

Shearer came into a club in panic mode, he did his best FWIW.

:no:

I seem to remember us putting in a couple of spiriting performances under Hughton before Shearer came in, the Arsenal game when we should had been winning 2-0 at HT comes to mind.

Which one is Ian W? You are out of order. Absolutely f****** out of order. If you do it again, I am telling you you can f*** off and go to another forum. I will not come and stand for that f****** crap. No f***ing way, lies. F***, you’re saying I turned up and they  f***** off.

That interview on Talk Sh*te radio with Keys and Gray. Kinnear saying that everyone wears Newcastle shirts as if that happens ONLY in Newcastle. FGS - you see that EVERYWHERE. Liverpool, Glasgow are no better in this respect. Glasgow's worse, what with the old firm crap there. Found the interview minimally interesting

Shearer's biggest error was appointing Dowie as his number 2. He would have been far better off with someone like Venables helping him.

I agree. I was dumbfounded and thought "Shearers asking for trouble here". Dowie's tried this and failed. AWFUL choice. Rob Lee would have been better with NO experience. My guess is that Dowie's a character and Shearer hoped his mate would generate good humour and banter.

IT DIDN'T.

And as for scoring twice in 8 games - they were in a relegation spiral remember. Too many players were hiding whoever came in. Its a massive credit to Chrissy Hughton who got them together the following season after an appalling 6-1 loss at Orient pre-season to end up walking the Championship. Shearer wouldn't have managed that, and I'm a FAN of Big Al

Which one is Ian W? You are out of order. Absolutely f****** out of order. If you do it again, I am telling you you can f*** off and go to another forum. I will not come and stand for that f****** crap. No f***ing way, lies. F***, you’re saying I turned up and they  f***** off.

:lol: :lol:

• 4 months later...