The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

That was lovely to watch.

The brilliance of Messi or Arsenal getting raped? :lol:

Both tbh mate. I usually just like watching Gooners lose but that Messi masterclass was something else.

In a bitter sweet way it was very good. Best team i have ever, ever seen.

I hope they win it.

Very disappointed not to have qualified but watching them was amazing.

Both tbh mate. I usually just like watching Gooners lose but that Messi masterclass was something else.

I hope they win it.

Your boys need to start going for it. I remember watching Arsenal at the beginning of the season and you closed down on players and won the ball back with some grit, particularly in your demolition of Everton for example... this seems to have evaporated as the season has gone on. Second half today you just watched us passing it in our own half.

Anyway, now go and win the PL. I'll tell Cesc he can stop faking and play for you again.

I hope they win it.

Your boys need to start going for it. I remember watching Arsenal at the beginning of the season and you closed down on players and won the ball back with some grit, particularly in your demolition of Everton for example... this seems to have evaporated as the season has gone on. Second half today you just watched us passing it in our own half.

Anyway, now go and win the PL. I'll tell Cesc he can stop faking and play for you again.

I think it's just the Barcelona tag that strikes fear into people like when Arsenal went 49 games unbeaten it puts you on a back foot instantly before stepping on the pitch.

Then to be missing Arshavin/Fabregas/Van Persie/Song the first 5 names on your team sheet, it's just. Urgh. Well done.

Diaby was immense.

In a 'do fuck all but let the opposition cm's pass around you' sort of way?

He wasn't as bad as that, but he's very frustrating to watch. He's a very gifted player, but sometimes he seems to leave his brain behind in the dressing room.

His decision-making is improving, but the process could do with speeding up.

Then to be missing Arshavin/Fabregas/Van Persie/Song the first 5 names on your team sheet, it's just. Urgh. Well done.

No wonder you're not winning silverware if you keep fielding teams a man short.

Barca were without the spine of their team aswell though.

They have about 3 different spines they can play. They can afford 2 first elevens whereas Arsenal don't have anywhere near the same strength in depth.

I really don't think Barca is much deeper than Arsenal at all. They just have better players in general and some of Arsenal's best player seem heavily injury-prone.

Lionel Messi is really good, btw. I'm just hoping he's having an off day on June 12. Really tired of playing such good teams in the first matches of the WC. Spain, Argentina, and Argentina in the last three :lol:

Upon reviewing you are completely right. Arsenal possibly have a bigger squad actually but Barcelona have at least 9 midfield/attacker players who I would be pretty scared to see on the teamsheet if I was against them. Arsenal have maybe 4 and 3 of them were injured (Fab, Arsh and Van). It's an almost impossible task.

As an aside, anyone else impressed by Dani Alves? Probably my top wing-back in the world. He's just a machine.

They have about 3 different spines they can play. They can afford 2 first elevens whereas Arsenal don't have anywhere near the same strength in depth.

I really don't think Barca is much deeper than Arsenal at all. They just have better players in general and some of Arsenal's best player seem heavily injury-prone.

Lionel Messi is really good, btw. I'm just hoping he's having an off day on June 12. Really tired of playing such good teams in the first matches of the WC. Spain, Argentina, and Argentina in the last three :lol:

Upon reviewing you are completely right. Arsenal possibly have a bigger squad actually but Barcelona have at least 9 midfield/attacker players who I would be pretty scared to see on the teamsheet if I was against them. Arsenal have maybe 4 and 3 of them were injured (Fab, Arsh and Van). It's an almost impossible task.

As an aside, anyone else impressed by Dani Alves? Probably my top wing-back in the world. He's just a machine.

I'm impressed with him generally but I didn't think he played very well last night. A fair few of his passes were off target. Of course, I'm using relative Barca standards, here.

Alves just fits that Barca system absolutely perfectly, getting free reign down that entire right hand side to do what he likes. His crossing is very hit and miss but he's still superb.

I think Maicon at his best is a better player though.

Just remember to get him sent off so he can't play on the 17th my friend. Niggly halmstring injury will also do.

Was it an ITV commentator who said last year of Barcelona, that they get you on a carousel and just pass you dizzy? Very accurate IMO.

Xavi/Iniesta may not have the spectacular skill and thrust of Messi but I could watch them passing the ball all day. They make it an art.

Guest firetotheworks

It's crazy how Xavi, or even Iniesta never get mentioned alongside Gerrard, Lampard, Kaka even though they're both quite clearly better than all of them.

Was it an ITV commentator who said last year of Barcelona, that they get you on a carousel and just pass you dizzy? Very accurate IMO.

Xavi/Iniesta may not have the spectacular skill and thrust of Messi but I could watch them passing the ball all day. They make it an art.

Alex Ferguson IIRC.

Good article about Dani Alves and the way Barca play here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/06/question-pressing-crucial-modern-game

It's crazy how Xavi, or even Iniesta never get mentioned alongside Gerrard, Lampard, Kaka even though they're both quite clearly better than all of them.

In this country they may not.

Tbf they were last season, and rightly so.

1. Messi

2. Ronaldo

3. Iniesta

4. Xavi

Think that was how the Ballon D'or went last season.

I think it's just the English media where they don't get the credit they deserve, infact, look at this headline from the Daily Mail (ana):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1113507/The-best-players-world-Xavi--Ronaldo-crowned-king-football.html

Sums up the English media in one go there.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking hell!

That's laughable. Saying that, I still would have had Fabregas ahead of Senna in the 2006 WC, but as the tournament progressed Senna was outstanding.

f***ing hell!

That's laughable. Saying that, I still would have had Fabregas ahead of Senna in the 2006 WC, but as the tournament progressed Senna was outstanding.

Outstanding? They were beaten just after the group stage.

Guest firetotheworks

f***ing hell!

Outstanding? They were beaten just after the group stage.

Im thinking of the Euros.

Anyone up for some Park Ji-Sung bingo tonight? Vital points include anytime we hear that:

• He has a good work rate
  • He is "industrious"
  • He's the first name on the team sheet for these big games
  • He's an underrated player
  • He may not be technically gifted but he is vital for Man Utd

Feel free to add more.