The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

They enter in conflict when players miss preseasons, get injuried in international duty, etc...

They're no more likely to be injured or anything else playing for a national team, and competitive football is better preparation than meaningless friendlies anyway.

Don't get me wrong it pisses me off if our players get injured not playing for us, but at the end of the day it wouldn't make me want my country to lose.

Most posters in bigsoccer are Americans, not really representative. They are very patriotic and they lack an established club tradition.

That's probably the case. However I'd say for example Africans, Asians and Australians would also favour country over club while Europeans and possibly South Americans would go with clubs. The reason you mentioned would explain this to be honest.

If I was forced to give an answer to this question, I'd probably end up saying Newcastle because it's what I invest the most money, time and passion into. However what I don't understand is when people are proud to say club over country, where they're happy to disregard their nationality because of local pride. This seems to be quite a common trend, and I think it's sad.

If I was forced to give an answer to this question, I'd probably end up saying Newcastle because it's what I invest the most money, time and passion into. However what I don't understand is when people are proud to say club over country, where they're happy to disregard their nationality because of local pride. This seems to be quite a common trend, and I think it's sad.

The players of the national team barely represent the nation.

:thup:

More than players of a club represent the area. Not that either matters like.

Most posters in bigsoccer are Americans, not really representative. They are very patriotic and they lack an established club tradition.

That's probably the case. However I'd say for example Africans, Asians and Australians would also favour country over club while Europeans and possibly South Americans would go with clubs. The reason you mentioned would explain this to be honest.

because africa ,asia and australians dont have as much at stake ie a big league at stake.

i'd guess the scandos would probably rather have their nation win the world cup than their club win their domestic tea cup..........except kasper who'd rather his country beat their horrific suicide rate.

Of course they do. Okay for the most part they're a bunch of cunts, but they're the most talented players in the country. What would you rather happened, a load of rubbish but nice guys were picked from the lower leagues across the country?

It has to be club over country, I kinda see it like family over friends. I love my club, like my country.

i'd take friends over all bar imediate family.

my cousins,aunties,uncles can go to fuck.

i'd risk lots for my friends.

More than players of a club represent the area. Not that either matters like.

Feel more affinity for club players, though, but then I start thinking about Man City and teams like that and it becomes very different. Though for fans of smaller clubs there are greater numbers of players having come through the academy, etc. blahblah

It has to be club over country, I kinda see it like family over friends. I love my club, like my country.

i'd take friends over all bar imediate family.

my cousins,aunties,uncles can go to fuck.

i'd risk lots for my friends.

:thup:

i remember most my mates from school saying they hated england - been hijacked by advertising etc, players are dickheads, and most the supporters come from shit hole towns without their own big clubs. i'd say, newcastle has just as many sponsors, has dyer, bowyer, etc and loads of supporters from consett, blyth, ashington etc.

i think the main reason is not identifying with 'ingerlund' as much if you are from a city like newcastle or liverpool which have strong regional identities who feel that govt, london etc doesnt look out for them.

I have to say I quite like the current Sun advert regarding England and the World Cup. :blush:

The maybe, just maybe one?

Everytime its on I always seem to be with someone that shouts, "maybe fucking not"  :lol:

:laugh:

Yeah that one. It's nicely understated which makes a change.

i remember most my mates from school saying they hated england - been hijacked by advertising etc, players are dickheads, and most the supporters come from shit hole towns without their own big clubs. i'd say, newcastle has just as many sponsors, has dyer, bowyer, etc and loads of supporters from consett, blyth, ashington etc.

i think the main reason is not identifying with 'ingerlund' as much if you are from a city like newcastle or liverpool which have strong regional identities who feel that govt, london etc doesnt look out for them.

I was just about to post that, the fact that we are in reality rather isolated from England and Newcastle is the place to be in our region is the reason why so many of us put Newcastle ahead of England.

I have to say I quite like the current Sun advert regarding England and the World Cup. :blush:

The maybe, just maybe one?

Everytime its on I always seem to be with someone that shouts, "maybe f***ing not"  :lol:

:laugh:

Yeah that one. It's nicely understated which makes a change.

Plus it doesn't mention Wayne Rooney, which is always a plus. And fucking rare.

Well, if we get into regional identity thing, support for Spain inside Catalonia is low, low, low, due to political reasons.

Are they still wanting to break away?

Also do Espanyol generally have a fanbase that wants to stay a part of Spain and Barca who don't?, similar to Celtic and Rangers fans in N.Ireland?