The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Nice to see Villa brushed aside at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Neill end his spell there this season.

Neither would I.

The animosity towards him yesterday was really surprising. He's lost the spine of the team (not his fault) but failed to even begin replacing it (entirely his fault).

Yesterday was a performance straight out of the O'Leary era. Absolutely and utterly lacking in art, in skill and in cohesion.

Seems like a victim of his own success to me. Sacking O'Neil now could come back to haunt you in five years time like sacking Sir Bobby did us.

O'Neil isn't perfect, but you don't go sacking a manager unless you have reasonable expectations of appointing someone who can do better.

maybe, givent heir resources, they feel they can appoint someone to do better though?

and for some reason, i would back lerner to get it right, or certainly more so than freddy did.

who would you like to see replace him?

I dont want him to be replaced, in that I think he has earned the right to carry on. The problem is, I don't trust his ability turn things around.

We are now in the position where we absolutely MUST push on. I've been watching Villa since the early 1970s, but yesterday was one of the more depressing experiences, as I realised that, actually, nothing has changed since the end of last season, and despite him having months and months to replace Laursen and Barry, let alone strengthen the squad, he hasn't even begun to do it.

He'll pay the price, and it will be all his own fault.

This  isn't meant to be a slight on you Brummie, but it never ceases to amaze me how football fans can be so short sighted.  I realise that you had a pretty poor finish to last season but you're in Europe for the second consecutive season.  Be careful what you wish for....

who would you like to see replace him?

I dont want him to be replaced, in that I think he has earned the right to carry on. The problem is, I don't trust his ability turn things around.

We are now in the position where we absolutely MUST push on. I've been watching Villa since the early 1970s, but yesterday was one of the more depressing experiences, as I realised that, actually, nothing has changed since the end of last season, and despite him having months and months to replace Laursen and Barry, let alone strengthen the squad, he hasn't even begun to do it.

He'll pay the price, and it will be all his own fault.

i echo others sentiments that this is very much like us under bobby towards the end.

our shortcomings were so obvious the season before we sacked him, yet the summer didnt see us adequately remedy it.

having said that, i remember being pretty happy with the butt signing that summer (if only i knew).

This  isn't meant to be a slight on you Brummie, but it never ceases to amaze me how football fans can be so short sighted.  I realise that you had a pretty poor finish to last season but you're in Europe for the second consecutive season.  Be careful what you wish for....

equally, it is easy to comment when you dont see it every week

Nice to see Villa brushed aside at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Neill end his spell there this season.

Neither would I.

The animosity towards him yesterday was really surprising. He's lost the spine of the team (not his fault) but failed to even begin replacing it (entirely his fault).

Yesterday was a performance straight out of the O'Leary era. Absolutely and utterly lacking in art, in skill and in cohesion.

Seems ridiculous to me, you've had two very solid seasons under O'Neill. The progression has always been constant since he arrived, I'm struggling to see how he can be replaced, you've had a poor result on the opening day of the season and clearly expectations are high but I honestly don't think O'Neill leaving is the solution. In terms of activity in the transfer market, I don't really know what's happening (Or what isn't happening) But O'Neill seems like the type of manager who'll sign players who are 'right' for the club, Ashley Young,James Milner,Emile Heskey and John Carew all seem pretty assured business and he's probably a safe guy, he doesn't want to buy players who aren't going to improve the team and will wait till the death until a player does become available, whether that will be too late, I'm not too sure.

Our "natural" position is somewhere around 6th. He's got us back to that. He has spent a vast amount of money, but still we have enormous holes in our squad.

The main problem is that he can not come to terms with the modern transfer market. He's got a billionaire owner who is willing to write pretty much any cheque he asks him to, yet we've not replaced (or tried to replace) Laursen or Barry.

We've got two CBs at the club. We did have three, but we sold him to Bolton a month ago without having a replacement.

If you'd watched us play yesterday, you'd understand the general feeling here that the chickens really have come home to roost, and it isn't just about being fickle and complaining about one result, it runs much, much deeper than that.

Fair enough. It's easy to gain stereotypes from the outside but I'm not sure this all adds up to O'Neill departing. We've established O'Neill is very naive in the transfer market, this is a definite flaw seen as you've already pointed out that Randy Lerner would be willing to sanction pretty much any deal O'Neill proposed, however, is the only option to get rid of O'Neill in the hope you'll appoint a better manager who has a much better awareness when it comes to bringing in players, it's asking a lot IMO. You talk about the terrible football that coincided with your fall from the top 4, wasn't that kind of inevitable? I'm sure you were delighted with the first two third of the season but realistically did you have the squad to continue that form till the end? I don't think you did, I'd say you were around 3 players short from accomplishing that and the dip in form was always going to happen, how would you be feeling if you had started the season like you ended it and finished it like you started it? Would that have changed your thoughts on the situation?

Granted, but I'd give owt to be in their position

I genuinely, really understand where you are coming from, and I see why you can arrive at that point, but trust me, it is really not that clear cut.

We bailed out halfway through the UEFA cup last season because we didn't have the depth.

Now, I went to all those home matches, right back to Odense in the Intertoto in July. Others I know went to all the away games as well, spending a fortune. In the end, the manager made the call that we couldnt compete in the league and Uefa, so opted for the league, and - truth be told - I supported him. I don't like that it is like that, but that is the way modern football is.

So now, we're starting against Rapid Vienna this week, with an even weaker squad, and an even more sapping competition. There is no way we can even think of competing. Forget it, it won't happen.

So, given that, and given that we've qualified for Europe for two years running, really, what is the point? What is the point if the manager neglects the squad so much that we have no hope of competing?

ah aye!

i'd swap them anyday!

Is it me or will Bojan just fade away and get sold to some mid-spanish team?

He looks weak as hell every time i see him play.

Is this what we have to look forward to now, you picking holes in Barca every post now they've bought your favourite player? :lol:

Because i`m pointing out that one of Barca biggest talents doesn't seem to become the big player he was supposed to be?  ???

You are reaching to far here.

Also the post about how shit they look because they were 1-0 down in the Spanish Super Cup.

ah aye!

i'd swap them anyday!

And I understand that sentiment, but from the inside looking out, it isn't quite so simple.

ah aye!

i'd swap them anyday!

And I understand that sentiment, but from the inside looking out, it isn't quite so simple.

agreed.

2 weeks left in the window though Brummie.  I genuinely hope you push on.  I'd forgotten about the UEFA cup debacle last year.  That wasn't on at all for the lads who'd gone to all those away games.

Neither would I.

honestly??

villa appear, to me, to be such a well run outfit. young, predominiantly english players, with plenty of pace and a real hunger.

considering where you came from, he has done an outsanding job imo.

the animosity surprises me. but then again, i dont watch you every week. it could be 'scott parker/kevin nolan' syndrome on my part.

THe football last season was pretty awful. Well, the football at home was very awful, horrible to watch.

He's screwed up every transfer market since he has been here, and now we're starting to pay the cumulative price. yesterday we were looking for a break from the last part of last season, but what we got was actually much worse. Even the basics, we are lacking in.

He will be gone by Christmas, I genuinely believe that (and have stated that here before). We're very well run at board level, but shipshod at manager level. No excuse for it.

If you'd seen us yesterday, you would understand it. It isn't just about one game, it is about the cumulative effect of the last 7 or 8 months.

Blimey.

Situation does sound similar to sbr, if you do get rid the next appointment MUST be the right one or it could be a slippery slope. If lerner is serious maybe you could tempt everton to let you speak to moyes, if they cave over lescott it could start moyes questioning his own future.

Situation does sound similar to sbr, if you do get rid the next appointment MUST be the right one or it could be a slippery slope. If lerner is serious maybe you could tempt everton to let you speak to moyes, if they cave over lescott it could start moyes questioning his own future.

can see moyes to villa actually.

would be a natural move as he would have a pretty similar situation to where he is now (league position, well run club) but with a shit load of money, whcih he'll never have at everton.

The infuriating thing is that MON is so strong in some ways, but his weakness in the transfer market is a hell of an achilles heal to have.

42 of the last 44 players he has signed in his career (pre and post arrival at Villa) have been from the home market. I read that today, and was shocked, but can really believe it. It shows either an amazing trust in the home market, or a total lack of confidence when it comes to taking a punt on players.

We winged it last year in terms of squad strength, but this year we have really pushed it too far.

I bet we'll sign Stephen Warnock and Jenas before the end of the window. That'll be it. Predictable and insufficient.

Infuriating.

Is it me or will Bojan just fade away and get sold to some mid-spanish team?

He looks weak as hell every time i see him play.

Is this what we have to look forward to now, you picking holes in Barca every post now they've bought your favourite player? :lol:

Because i`m pointing out that one of Barca biggest talents doesn't seem to become the big player he was supposed to be?  ???

You are reaching to far here.

Also the post about how shit they look because they were 1-0 down in the Spanish Super Cup.

:facepalm:

They were not playing well from what i could see for gods sake, should i say they were brilliant even if they weren't?

And it was a game i chose to watch because there was nothing else to watch, should i not be able to watch games of them and report from them just because Zlatan has been sold to them?

Man get over your self, you are the one stalking me when it comes to Inter also so you shouldn't talk to much about being stalkish.

Remember one thing, i have been through so many stages in Inter as a club, stars have come and left, these are the facts of life and Zlatan is just another player who has done a good job for them and i wish him all the best at Barca but he is a player for them now and that's it.

I have nothing against Barca at all and they are the team in Spain which i wish all the best, Luis Enrique was my childhood idol also.

Sorry mate, I was just joking about. :lol: