The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

So because they get knocked out of the UEFA Cup, Martin O'Neill is a bad manager?

That.

Along with his ability to sign only mediocre players from within the Premier League.

Along with going to Moscow and playing your reserves last season, screwing over your fans.. following that up with getting knocked out at the first hurdle the year after.

Oh, and they've won about 2 games in the last 6 months.

Guest Heneage

So because they get knocked out of the UEFA Cup, Martin O'Neill is a bad manager?

Against Rapid Vienna at home? Yes.

That.

Along with his ability to sign only mediocre players from within the Premier League.

Along with going to Moscow and playing your reserves last season, screwing over your fans.. following that up with getting knocked out at the first hurdle the year after.

Oh, and they've won about 2 games in the last 6 months.

So you managed to pick every negative aspect of his tenure. I wonder what success is these days, Aston Villa must reach the Champions League or even win the UEFA Cup before the manager gains a little bit of credit. I think looking at Villa before he took over then there's no argument they've progressed quite significantly. I'm not doubting O'Neill has flaws in his management as you pointed out with his inability to sign players that would ultimately take them on to the next level. However, does that make him a bad manager? I don't think so. Martin O'Neill seems like a manager who is happy at the level he is at, maybe that makes him limited but it certainly doesn't make him a bad manager, far from it.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

One swallow doesn't but one choke does.

Oh yeah  :pow:

The result wouldn't be so surprising against the Villa side that were before the times of Martin O'Neill, that shows you the progression that this result is practically a disaster. Who's to say Rapid Vienna won't go on to reach the latter stages of the competition? Just because it's "Rapid Vienna" A name that hardly fills you with excitement doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a good side.

The result wouldn't be so surprising against the Villa side that were before the times of Martin O'Neill, that shows you the progression that this result is practically a disaster. Who's to say Rapid Vienna won't go on to reach the latter stages of the competition? Just because it's "Rapid Vienna" A name that hardly fills you with excitement doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a good side.

You're forgetting Nixon follows the Austrian league avidly. ;)

Guest Heneage

You're forgetting Nixon follows the Austrian league avidly. ;)

I'd be amazed if Rapid went any further than the last 16. Their defenders appear quite slow and up front they look horrendous, they could have won 3-1 tonight easily.

:kasper:

They won the match but lost on away goals.  Villa reached 5th place last season, building a good, young side that has just recently beat Liverpool at Anfield and now he is a bad manager.  Deary me.

Guest Heneage

:kasper:

They won the match but lost on away goals.  Villa reached 5th place last season, building a good, young side that has just recently beat Liverpool at Anfield and now he is a bad manager.  Deary me.

He's not a bad manager, I retract that bit but he should definitely get stick for this, and not be seen as the successor to Ferguson that everyone wants. He does this all the time in Europe. He whinges on about wanting to qualify then puts out an iffy team, Heskey over Agbonglohor, Delph over Sidwell.

Villa need a spark in the centre for me. Watching them tonight they never looked particularly dangerous and looked pretty predictable. Away from home they allow the other team to press them then hit them on the break and they are excellent at it. When it comes to home games when they're the ones who need to take the initiative they look a bit lost and devoid of unpredictability. The two in the centre just look like a pair of square ball merchants constantly giving it out wide to Young, that seems to be they're only tactic and they don't have a plan B other than whack it up to Carew and Heskey. Think they should have got Tuncay.