The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Has Arteta played for Spain?

If Almunia had a shout to qualify for England, does Arteta?

In the past he wasn't able to due to his U21 caps, however now FIFA has changed the rules and only a competitive full international game can tie a player to one country he is eligible.

All it would take is to give him a passport and he'd be able to don the England shirt. The thing is that he still hopes to play for Spain and the FA and Capello seem pretty firmly against these kind of scenarios.

Guest kingdawson

At WHL there was a few times we played it long to Crouch, but nowhere near as much as Richard Dunne tried to make out in the post match interview. Think he only said that because of Wengers comments about you being a long ball team the week before.

I think you'll find the press coverage of the match show that to not be the case - have a look back.

You constantly played it long to Crouch in the second half especially, whiilst berating us for being a long ball team (something which your fans were only doing because Wenger had mentioned it a few days before, now you come to mention him).

Funny seeing Spurs fans jumping on some (widely ridiculed) notion an Arsenal manager had put out there a few days before.

My point still stands. We still had a ridiculous amount of possession and a ridiculous amount of shots on goal. You literally did nothing but defend well. In both games can you pick out an attack minded player that played well for Villa?

Wasn't the MOTM players from your team Cueller in the first game and either Dunne or Friediel in the second?

Arteta does qualify for England, but he's stated that his first choice will be always Spain. Sadly he was born in the same generation as Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso...

Actually he had a pretty decent chance of making the Confed Cup squad last year, but he went down injuried. I hope he ends up capped at some point, he really is brilliant and deserves to play international football.

Also, enlighten me about the naturalization rules... if he can play for England does this mean he could also play for Scotland, Wales, Norn? Or how does this work?

At WHL there was a few times we played it long to Crouch, but nowhere near as much as Richard Dunne tried to make out in the post match interview. Think he only said that because of Wengers comments about you being a long ball team the week before.

I think you'll find the press coverage of the match show that to not be the case - have a look back.

You constantly played it long to Crouch in the second half especially, whiilst berating us for being a long ball team (something which your fans were only doing because Wenger had mentioned it a few days before, now you come to mention him).

Funny seeing Spurs fans jumping on some (widely ridiculed) notion an Arsenal manager had put out there a few days before.

My point still stands. We still had a ridiculous amount of possession and a ridiculous amount of shots on goal. You literally did nothing but defend well. In both games can you pick out an attack minded player that played well for Villa?

Wasn't the MOTM players from your team Cueller in the first game and either Dunne or Friediel in the second?

The point is, I don't base our whole season on matches against Spurs.

I could ask you about your record against other top 6/8 sides this season, and I bet it pales into insignificance compared to ours. Spurs this season are flat track bullies, beating the shit teams easily and struggling against anyone half decent.

I could also point out that whilst you had plenty of possession against us at our place this year, I barely remember you causing the keeper any trouble, and the same goes for the match at your place. In fact, especially the match at your place.

Arteta does qualify for England, but he's stated that his first choice will be always Spain. Sadly he was born in the same generation as Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso...

Actually he had a pretty decent chance of making the Confed Cup squad last year, but he went down injuried. I hope he ends up capped at some point, he really is brilliant and deserves to play international football.

Also, enlighten me about the naturalization rules... if he can play for England does this mean he could also play for Scotland, Wales, Norn? Or how does this work?

Pretty sure this is the case yes. Obviously we're sitting in a pretty privelidged position with FIFA (being the founders of football) meaning we're all allowed to play as seperate entities when actually we're all part of the same country.

This obviously confususes the usual FIFA rules when it comes to naturalisation but I'm pretty sure if he was to take up British citizenship he theoretically could play for any one of the home nations. The home nations all agreed to a gentlemens agreement that none of them would ever cap players via the naturalisation method, not that this means anything contractually so any of them could just break this agreement at any time.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I've always had a dislike for Spurs - however this season - probably for the first season in a long time - they have been truly class and Scumbag Harry's plan seems to be coming into fruition.

A lot of the England team in the Summer will be made up of Spurs players, for a reason too.

As I say I generally hate Spurs and Spurs fans but this season they have nearly lived up to the hype.

A great team to watch even if just for Defoe slotting goals away nicely.

Guest kingdawson

The point is, I don't base our whole season on matches against Spurs.

I could ask you about your record against other top 6/8 sides this season, and I bet it pales into insignificance compared to ours. Spurs this season are flat track bullies, beating the s*** teams easily and struggling against anyone half decent.

I could also point out that whilst you had plenty of possession against us at our place this year, I barely remember you causing the keeper any trouble, and the same goes for the match at your place. In fact, especially the match at your place.

For all the times you inform me about how much i moan, you don't half make a big deal about a bit of constructive criticism. When you tell me that we struggle against the big teams i can't deny it because it's the truth.

You played s***, defensive football against us. I'm not asking you to base your whole season on it, i'm not saying you play s*** boring football in general. I'm simply saying you played utter dogshit football against us twice this season and i'd rather not play Villa in the cup because i know what to expect. I prefer watching a good, open football match.....not 90 minutes on the art of defending.

Don't know why Spurs and Villa get so much jip tbh. I've been to Villa a couple of times and sat in the holte end and yes, I did wonder if they were watching the same game as me (never stopped slating the ref and demanding penalties that clearly werent). All football fans are exactly the same, most couldnt tell the eyeballs from their arsehole. Take it with a pinch of salt

You played shit, defensive football against us. I'm not asking you to base your whole season on it, i'm not saying you play shit boring football in general. I'm simply saying you played utter dogshit football against us twice this season and i'd rather not play Villa in the cup because i know what to expect. I prefer watching a good, open football match.....not 90 minutes on the art of defending.

I'm not making it out to be anything it isn't, I'm saying that

- you played far more long ball than we did

- we don't spend 90 minutes on the art of defending - we wouldn't have won as many games as we have if that were the case. Isn't that comment at odds with your "I'm not saying you play shit boring football in general" comment, incidentally?

- you may have played the better football against us, and I said so at the time, but I don't judge our entire season on two matches.

Guest kingdawson

You played s***, defensive football against us. I'm not asking you to base your whole season on it, i'm not saying you play s*** boring football in general. I'm simply saying you played utter dogshit football against us twice this season and i'd rather not play Villa in the cup because i know what to expect. I prefer watching a good, open football match.....not 90 minutes on the art of defending.

I'm not making it out to be anything it isn't, I'm saying that

- you played far more long ball than we did

- we don't spend 90 minutes on the art of defending - we wouldn't have won as many games as we have if that were the case. Isn't that comment at odds with your "I'm not saying you play s*** boring football in general" comment, incidentally?

- you may have played the better football against us, and I said so at the time, but I don't judge our entire season on two matches.

No because i'm specifically referring to your games against us. I don't want to play Villa because i know exactly how MON will set your team out AGAINST US. I'd rather play Chelsea in the final (if we get there). I don't like losing games where we play well and end up unlucky whereas i don't mind losing games where we genuinely deserve to lose.

I didn't know where to put this so I thought here would be the best place.

The Champions League playoff's that have been mentioned to happen will have a situation where the 4th placed team will enter the final without playing games, with the 7th placed team will play away to the 6th placed team and the winner of that games will play away to the 5th placed team, and the winner of that will enter the final against the 4th placed team. Now that to me is better then the current format in the CCC, League 1 and 2. It seems more fair to the team who fiished higher in the league and gives a real advantage to each team who finishes higher in the playoff spots while also giving the other teams a chance of winning the playoff's. So why can't that system be used in the promotion playoff's?

The Champions League playoff's that have been mentioned to happen will have a situation where the 4th placed team will enter the final without playing games, with the 7th placed team will play away to the 6th placed team and the winner of that games will play away to the 5th placed team, and the winner of that will enter the final against the 4th placed team. Now that to me is better then the current format in the CCC, League 1 and 2. It seems more fair to the team who fiished higher in the league and gives a real advantage to each team who finishes higher in the playoff spots while also giving the other teams a chance of winning the playoff's. So why can't that system be used in the promotion playoff's?

Think it's been used in some form of Rugby. The problem is that it gives the lower ranked teams time to get some form together in the build up.

It's very different to play like Stoke than what Villa do, in my opinion. Villa are a great counter-attacking side and I enjoy them at what they do, particularly when they play top-half teams who set themselves to dominate a game.

I agree, Martin O'Neill is a master of this art.

They've already voted the suggestion down, there'll be no CL play-offs.

In the Spanish league promotion playoffs (from our third tier downwards), the teams placed highest in their division always get a bye to the playoff "finals". I think it's a very good system since it gives more succesful teams a definite advantage and a reward for their regular season. I don't think playing 2-4 more games over two weeks is an advantage for the lower placed sides, to the contrary.

In the Spanish league promotion playoffs (from our third tier downwards), the teams placed highest in their division always get a bye to the playoff "finals". I think it's a very good system since it gives more succesful teams a definite advantage and a reward for their regular season. I don't think playing 2-4 more games over two weeks is an advantage for the lower placed sides, to the contrary.

Well if the lowest placed side always played at home (apart from the final which would be at a neutral venue) then it would also take away the need for a 2nd leg.

Has Arteta played for Spain?

If Almunia had a shout to qualify for England, does Arteta?

All the home nations have agreed to stick to the bloodline rules for the foreseeable future. The jocks could have Novo playing for them :cheesy:

It's very different to play like Stoke than what Villa do, in my opinion. Villa are a great counter-attacking side and I enjoy them at what they do, particularly when they play top-half teams who set themselves to dominate a game.

Agree :thup:

The likes of Stoke goes to places looking for a draw by defending, Villa goes in to games looking to win by defending. Massive difference, and Villa for me is one of the most entertaining sides to watch in the Premier League. Much prefer the direct nature that Villa and Man U (obviously better at doing it, especially when they had Ronaldo) attack by than the likes of Arsenal and Spurs who prefer to pass the opposition to death.

Villa can be frustrating to watch/play against (although it's usually open games between us personally). When watching them, at times it's as though they're refusing to really get at a team. Seems to be working well enough.

I have a feeling they'll fade a bit over the last 8 weeks however.

Villa can be frustrating to watch/play against (although it's usually open games between us personally). When watching them, at times it's as though they're refusing to really get at a team. Seems to be working well enough.

I have a feeling they'll fade a bit over the last 8 weeks however.

re the run-in, we've got it pretty easy on paper:

Home:

Dogheads, Mackems, Likeablescouse, Filthyscum, Fat Sam's lot.

Away:

LoudestfansinthePL (copyright), 5000 men and three dogs in an Ikea stadium, Monied cockneys, Anti-football, Penniless, Vulgar lottery-winning arrivistes.

*SNIP*

Edited to stop falling foul of not actually listing fixtures with dates in any case, but hey ho

The issue is we've got quite a few rearranged games moved back so may have something of a backlog to work through in not much time.

Our problem is that we put too much reliance on the wings - I love watching us play with two wingers and seeing them run at people, but when that outlet gets snuffed out, we struggle to create through the middle. Give MON his chance, though, and I hope he'll rectify that in the summer.

We also need a more reliable goal outlet. For every "unplayable" (MON's description) game Carew has, he has 4 anonymous ones. He's better than Heskey, though. He's shite.

Was surprised not to see Delfouneso start yesterday.