West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 08/08/09 - post match reaction from page 34

Dave

Did anyone that went get caught up in this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8191833.stm after btw? Police everywhere and massive groups of asians trashing stuff and lobbing bottles everywhere, saw one guy with a kid get hit by a bottle who had come from the match, disgusting. Big groups of people all around the city centre actually running towards where it was all going on no doubt to get involved, police were a bunch of incompetents too which didn't help and made me miss my original train.

Positives - Krul(saved the point by some excellent stops) ; will be a great keeper if he continues in this vein.

Ranger ; has more speed off the mark than Ameobi and deserves more chances this season.

Carroll ; always thought he had the raw talent - with the right manager, could become a good CF.

Negatives - Guttierez ; far too casual, same old failings with supplying crosses, no good for this div, has to go.

Coloccini ; could have cost us the game on a number of occasions, esp when Moore left him for dead and Krul made a fantastic stop with his foot - MUST BE SOLD QUICKLY,DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE.

Overall, the team lacks incisiveness up front, is too slow to build up attacks and will struggle to create real chances with what is currently in the forward line and midfield ; Smith looks as if he will be useful as a midfield destroyer at this level and Taylor also looks the part in the Fizzy Pop but R.Taylor is a bit-part player - reminds me of Kevin Brock just before KK arrived in 92, but with less skill...!

Do not agree that WBA will be the toughest test - they, like NUFC, are a newly-relegated side, still attempting to play football as before ; some of the other teams in this div will be far more physical and give Newcastle less time to play, so there will be some shocks along the way for those who think the side will walk through this league...they will have noted how easily Coloccini can be rattled and how vulnerable is R.Taylor at RB as well as how Guttierez can be run into blind alleys....

As some have said, this reminds me of the first game last season - also finished 1-1.......

Alot of you are being FAR too harsh. Basing things off past performances and stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was nothing special but there were some positives.

Yes, Gutierrez wasn't great. But he was getting himself into great positions and making some good runs down the flank. Just needs to get the final product sorted.

Alan Smith was very good. Well done, especially after being effectively frozen out last year. Probably my MOTM.

Coloccini is still a bit shaky but if the whole of fucking newcastle was hounding me I would be too. No doubts the guy is good technically but theres a time and a place. Had an alright game.

Ameobi was pretty ineffective. But he showed he had a bit of strength and pace (enough to take on a slow-ish defence) and I still think he will be good for this league.

Duff was alright. Good finish, ran about alot, often without an aim however.

Carrol and Nolan were pretty useless.

For me, try the same team again but stick Guthrie on for Nolan.

Maybe a bit over positive. But I've told myself to think as a championship club, not as a premiership club. I think we'll cope better and it's awesome being able to think of every game as one we might be able to win.

Tbh I really enjoyed the match. First time I've been able to say that in ages.

Guest prestonj1989

Alot of you are being FAR too harsh. Basing things off past performances and stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was nothing special but there were some positives.

Yes, Gutierrez wasn't great. But he was getting himself into great positions and making some good runs down the flank. Just needs to get the final product sorted.

Alan Smith was very good. Well done, especially after being effectively frozen out last year. Probably my MOTM.

Coloccini is still a bit shaky but if the whole of f***ing newcastle was hounding me I would be too. No doubts the guy is good technically but theres a time and a place. Had an alright game.

Ameobi was pretty ineffective. But he showed he had a bit of strength and pace (enough to take on a slow-ish defence) and I still think he will be good for this league.

Duff was alright. Good finish, ran about alot, often without an aim however.

Carrol and Nolan were pretty useless.

For me, try the same team again but stick Guthrie on for Nolan.

Maybe a bit over positive. But I've told myself to think as a championship club, not as a premiership club. I think we'll cope better and it's awesome being able to think of every game as one we might be able to win.

Tbh I really enjoyed the match. First time I've been able to say that in ages.

:clap: agree with all of that to be honest especially the point about saying it was an enjoyable game. I wouldnt say Carroll was useless but not one of his better games.

I just watched the entire game on Sky+ this morning and I agree with what TaylorJ was saying about Jonas.

After his absolutely WOEFUL performance against Dundee, last night was about 3000% better. He even looked like he gave more of a s***. He just needs to be able to pass and cross now.

EDIT: I disagree on Carroll like. He looked bright as always yesterday. He has a good touch, always involved in play and looked a threat.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

As Crumpy said, Jonas makes a run, looks up and there's no one in the box, no one attacking the near post, Nolan's not giving the short option, Ameobi's hiding behind a CB and Duff is not attacking the far post. 9/10 his only option is to pass it to Enrique.

Jonas ain't great by any means but he's good enough for this league i can promise, needs players to pass to though cause he can't seem to get the ball off the ground and get a speculative cross in but then, neither could Dyer.

I just watched the entire game on Sky+ this morning and I agree with what TaylorJ was saying about Jonas.

After his absolutely WOEFUL performance against Dundee, last night was about 3000% better. He even looked like he gave more of a s***. He just needs to be able to pass and cross now.

EDIT: I disagree on Carroll like. He looked bright as always yesterday. He has a good touch, always involved in play and looked a threat.

Absolutely fucking hilarious!  :laugh:

I wasn't sure what to expect yesterday but I enjoyed the game.  As said already, yesterday was not really an opportunity to gauge how we will do in the Championship because it was WBA.  However, I was pleased that the players put the effort in which was something largley missing last season.

Until the transfer windows closes and we know what players we have to work with and with which manager, it is impossible to predict how we will do.  Some of those players will almost certainly be gone and going by what has happened in previous transfer windows, we don't know if (a) we will replace them, (b) the quality of the player that might be bought and © whether players will be bought for the positions needed.  Some players might up their performances in the hope it will get them a transfer and maybe demoralised if they are still here in September.

But today, we have a reason to look forward to next Saturday's game with a little more optimism and if we can get positive results in the next 2 home games, then that will give us a platform to build on.

Cannot believe that some people think Jonas and Coloccini 'just need to brush up' on this or that aspect of their game - these guys are in their mid to late 20s, there is NO WAY they are going to 'improve' now.

They are ARGENTINE INTERNATIONALS for goodness' sake ; they DON'T WANT TO BE HERE...!!!

No wonder Newcastle United fans get a reputation for being deluded(AND easily pleased)....

Guest ItalianMagpie

I was sure we would be humiliated yeaterday, in this situation I couldn't expect more from players who were already not caring last year in the Premiership. I was utterly surprised by the fight and commitment they put in the game, and although they had the best chances and we really need to thank Krul for the point, we somehow dominated the midfield play, giving the impression we will be really hard to beat for anyone in the Championship.

Also a good game too. Now I don't know what expecting from the future, of course we cannot think to keep all these players in, and we need to know who's staying who's not to understand how we could do this season.

I don't think Ashley will sell anymore, so I hope he takes the club off the market and gives some stability to the team. Somehow.

Guest firetotheworks

Im late to the thread because I went straight out after the match. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the match. Yeah, were at a lower level, but it was nice to see us competing, and being the dominant team away from home. Krul was obviously excellent, some truly outstanding saves, but despite that I'd still give MOTM to Smith. Very few of us on here give him any time of day, but yesterday he was simply a cut above everyone else on the pitch, well done sir.

I thought defensively, both Enrique and STaylor were solid as a rock. Colo pissed me off for trying to be too clever when under pressure, but in all he was ok. RTaylor was average too really. For me it would be same again next game, except Barton/Guthrie for Nolan (What a fucking miss!) and get wor Nile on earlier.

More than anything though...I enjoyed watching us play football again, which for counts for a lot at the moment.

Krul should be first choice imo, He's only played twice and in both games has been outstanding, it might sound mental but I can honestly see him becoming one of the best keepers in the world.  You can see the difference having a big keeper makes, crosses are not an issue and he's so agile for his size.  We've spent too long with just shot stoppers, the defence will be way more confident with a big lad in nets.

Unbelievable.

Can't wait for next week, wish we didn't have that bye in the Carling Cup tbh.

Aye, competitive football is just giving me a buzz again. Love it.

It's a lot more enjoyable playing against teams who we can compete with as well tbh. It's just a shame we aren't going to score many goals as things stand.

I've not read this thread yet, so my tuppence worth :

Positives first were Carroll, Smith and Krul.

Negatives were Ameobi, Ryan Taylor and Colocinni.

Overall, considering this was billed as one of the toughest games of the season, and we are currently in total disarray, then a decent performance, I feared much worse.

Desperately need some pace up front alongside Carroll, but for me, number one priority would be a right back.

I've not read this thread yet, so my tuppence worth :

Positives first were Carroll, Smith and Krul.

Negatives were Ameobi, Ryan Taylor and Colocinni.

Overall, considering this was billed as one of the toughest games of the season, and we are currently in total disarray, then a decent performance, I feared much worse.

Desperately need some pace up front alongside Carroll, but for me, number one priority would be a right back.

Raylor was decent defensively imo, going forward he was shite though but I don't understand people saying he was shocking, he made some blinding tackles.