Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think you are going a bit too far the other way thespence. As said Ben Arfa, Tiote and Taylor would have settled for peanuts.

Ben Arfa - Was desperate to leave his previous employers.

CT - Came from small club in Holland his numbers will not be mega

Taylor - Resigned because I think his new agent knew he would not get the wonga on offer at NUFC elsewhere.

If they get Jose to re-sign they would have earn a lot of brownie points off me. How they deal with players on the big money like Barton, Jose & Colo is  the shit we have to keep a eye on.

For a player who is too slow to be in demand at any top club I'm surprised Barton is holding out for a bigger pay packet while at the same time saying he won't be forced out of Newcastle. Where will he go then?

I think there are 14 (maybe 15, Spurs is questionable) Premiership sides that would be very willing to employ Mr. Barton. He'll not match his current wage at any club, though.

So basically you are agreeing that he's over-valuing his own worth. No decent club will be in for him.

The moving the goalposts bit fits with the media story a few days back of Barton being unhappy offered only a 2 year deal. Likely they offered more money but reduced length of contract. Difficult to work out if its just normal negotiations, or if Llambias wouldn't be too unhappy getting him off the payroll.

Probably just a bollocks rumour but I'll put it out there. Barton wants three years, we were only willing to give two. Barton happy to compromise says two years but he gets an automatic one season extension if he plays a certain number of times in the 12/13 season but we are unwilling to do that because of what Nicky Butt did.

If he loves it here as much as he says, I couldn't see him doing an Onyewu after taking £60k a week for 18 months where he did feck all. £20k's measly but can see why the club would want some of it's money back from him. £20k for someone who played a dozen or so games in the Championship would have been extortionate never mind £50k plus. Personally think though that he should be on whatever Tiote and Enrique are on though,

Guest toonlass

Have you changed peoples opinions towards him?

Absolutely! The reason everyone likes him is entirely down to me  :pow:

I think you are going a bit too far the other way thespence. As said Ben Arfa, Tiote and Taylor would have settled for peanuts.

I know it's easier to think Ashley = complete tosser, Barton = speaks well, having a very good season. So it's obvious Barton is being completely honest and we are offering him a pitiful contract but I'm not sure it's so black and white.

Newcastle is definitely a confusing place under Ashley but he gives himself enough rope to hang himself, the more rope people add the more likely the chair will be kicked away and he will just land comfortably on the floor ;)

:lol: worst analogy ever

Guest Roger Kint

Only at NUFC can a backup CB get about £40k wage offer while one of our key startig XI get £20k ish ;D

Said that he'd been offered 1/3rd of his current contract and not heard anything from them since. Said Llambias told him the deal was 'non negotiable'. Said Ashley is actually a decent fella.

He mentioned he was willing to take a pay cut, because he knows people aren't getting paid what they used to at NUFC, but such a monster cut was really taking the p*ss considering he feels he's playing the best football of his career.

Doesn't have a problem with Shearer at the moment, and they had banter at a party round Harpers. Said at Liverpool Shearer accused him of being a coward and deliberately trying to hurt Xabi Alonso, which is why the fall out happened.

Mentioned that after the Leyton Orient game they had the famous "team meeting" where "Some of them said they thought they were too good to play in the Championship, which is funny because they were the c***s who took the club down". Mentioned Martins and Bassong specifically. Also said Duff was all up for staying at NUFC in the championship, but his missis wanted to move to London and he had to go with her.

Had a cheeky dig at Martins (well, I presume it was him) "Some c***s sign for a team and play one game and win a cup, they havent really won it, have you? You need to play every game"

Said the Carroll deal was great for NUFC as long as we "go and spend the f***ing money" in the summer.

If he could sign anyone in the league it'd be Luka Modric.

Said he was speaking to Puma about the home kit because he's sick of people (mentioned jermaine defoe in particular) ripping the p*ss out of the way he wears his shorts.

Finally said that he wasn't leaving NUFC this summer, even if the club try to sell him.

Oh that's really great.  :lol:  O0

I know it's easier to think Ashley = complete tosser, Barton = speaks well, having a very good season. So it's obvious Barton is being completely honest and we are offering him a pitiful contract but I'm not sure it's so black and white.

Newcastle is definitely a confusing place under Ashley but he gives himself enough rope to hang himself, the more rope people add the more likely the chair will be kicked away and he will just land comfortably on the floor ;)

:lol: worst analogy ever

Chinese proverb  O0

Guest Wearside

For a player who is too slow to be in demand at any top club I'm surprised Barton is holding out for a bigger pay packet while at the same time saying he won't be forced out of Newcastle. Where will he go then?

Other than the top 5 of United,Arsenal,Chelsea,City and Spurs,Barton would walk into most teams in the league,he won't be short of offers and if Newcastle are not willing to pay his £60k a week wages you can be sure someone else will,asking arguably your best player of the season to take a big wage drop is not the way to go about keeping him.

By the time his contract runs out he'll be lucky to pick up £40kpw from someone else in England (no chance outside) due to his age and baggage. I think the club are mad if they are not offering him that now with a few incentives and strict cuts if he gets in to trouble again.

Other than the top 5 of United,Arsenal,Chelsea,City and Spurs,Barton would walk into most teams in the league,he won't be short of offers and if Newcastle are not willing to pay his £60k a week wages you can be sure someone else will,asking arguably your best player of the season to take a big wage drop is not the way to go about keeping him.

Somehow I think that post would be slightly different if he'd just signed a new contract.

True, but that's not really the point is it? Obviously we could keep anyone if we just paid them what they asked for... we've had years of doing just about exactly that. The financial health of the club also has to be taken into account.

I want to keep Barton, but I wouldn't break the bank to do it.

I don't why this thread has now evolved into become a discussion about Barton demanding a bigger salary as that does not seem to be the case at all. 

No-one knows what the club has offered him but all the indications are that he is willing to accept a pay cut albeit not a ridiculously large one.  If the club offer him a contract which he says he will sign and they then change it (whether that is the length of the contract or the salary), well I think it is fair enough for him to defer it for the time being.  The player is happy here and does not want to leave so I am sure a compromise can be reached in due course.

I don't why this thread has now evolved into become a discussion about Barton demanding a bigger salary as that does not seem to be the case at all. 

No-one knows what the club has offered him but all the indications are that he is willing to accept a pay cut albeit not a ridiculously large one.  If the club offer him a contract which he says he will sign and they then change it (whether that is the length of the contract or the salary), well I think it is fair enough for him to defer it for the time being.  The player is happy here and does not want to leave so I am sure a compromise can be reached in due course.

:thup:

Hope so.

For clarity it's the club I don't trust rather than Barton. Incredibly. :lol:

I was discussing things based on a pay cut that was too big to accept, not a demand for a rise. It's all theoretical as nobody has a clue what's really going on, do they?

With the salary he's on right now, we could afford two players of a slightly less calibre, wich would be better imo. Either he cuts it down in half to make room for his backup or bugger off. His reputation as a footballer has been carried during his time here. We should actually sue him like chelsea sued mutu.