Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wonder if a bunch of French players would have the balls to play in the Championship, or whether they would be out the door as fast as Owen, Viduka et al? 

By the way, I'm not saying Cabaye etc wouldn't be good for Newcastle but we lack strength in depth, and I don't really want to see the "team-spirit" that our lads have now be destroyed.

:facepalm:

You don't think it could happen again?

More to do with the fact you're questioning the fortitude of an entire race of people rather than the idea we could get relegated I'd guess.

Wonder if a bunch of French players would have the balls to play in the Championship, or whether they would be out the door as fast as Owen, Viduka et al? 

By the way, I'm not saying Cabaye etc wouldn't be good for Newcastle but we lack strength in depth, and I don't really want to see the "team-spirit" that our lads have now be destroyed.

:facepalm:

You don't think it could happen again?

no, not that  :kinnear:............... not many people thought the likes of Enrique, Colo and Jonas would have "the balls" to play in the Championship as well.

It's strange how every time us fans get attached to a player or manager, Ashley decides to get shot of them  :dave:

The thing is, if we want to buy good players that cost a lot of money we have to let some go.

The board have outsmarted and out manoeuvred another player, give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves, just like Carroll did.

People can bang on about team spirit but when it's channeled through people like Bartn then it's only good for when he's happy, as soon as something goes he doesn't like he'll destroy it. I'd much rather have quality above spirit as well, only so far spirit can take you...see Blackpool and many other teams coming up, playing out of their skins and then dying on their arse at the final hurdle.

We will move on quite easily with a proper cm who can hold their own, not get caught in possession and hopefully have a bit of pace while there are half a dozen wingers we could easily sign who'll improve us no end down the right wing, and we'd probably get both for what Barton is on in wages, the only outlay being the fees, and £4m goes someway to paying for at least one of them.

Guest axel

It's strange how every time us fans get attached to a player or manager, Ashley decides to get shot of them  :dave:

The thing is, if we want to buy good players that cost a lot of money we have to let some go.

Carroll.

It's strange how every time us fans get attached to a player or manager, Ashley decides to get shot of them  :dave:

We have enough players who should go to reduce the salary - R.Taylor, Campbell and Kuqi (already happened), Smith, Lovenkrands, probably even Harper.

But not the likes of Barton and Nolan. The money for new players comes from the Carroll money. 35 mio should be enough to get us some players without having to sell our best ones.

Have you looked at the make up of the teams who finished in the top four this season?

We have enough players who should go to reduce the salary - R.Taylor, Campbell and Kuqi (already happened), Smith, Lovenkrands, probably even Harper.

But not the likes of Barton and Nolan. The money for new players comes from the Carroll money. 35 mio should be enough to get us some players without having to sell our best ones.

Barton and Nolan have both been offered new contracts. True they might not be as lucrative or lengthy as they would like but that happens at all clubs when players reach a certain age or physical condition. Realistically no club which finishes 12th in the premier is going to be paying 60k a week to every member in the squad.

Winning creates team spirit. When you win, players are happy. Get some quality players in and we'll be much better off than if we bring it nice lads who fit into the camp. As long as we don't have someone completely destructive, we'll be fine. Our CL team had a bunch of players who had a bad rep but they were damn good footballers and we fought hard and never gave up(feyenoord!).

Guest toonlass

Have you looked at the make up of the teams who finished in the top four this season?

And if any of those four teams were relegated. How many of their foreign players would hang about? It's not having a go at any particular nationality and I shouldn't have singled out the surrender monkeys French  but if we buy Cabaye and are relegated next season do you think he'll stick around?

We should be building on the lads who regrouped and built the team spirit we have now.

Ever since January, Joey seems to have got carried away with a sense of his importance to the club and his popularity with the fans. He's been making a series of increasingly daft public statements where he's criticising everyone from the club owners to the England manager.

I think Pardew ought to have got a grip on this. He seemed very keen to keep Joey onside, and all he came out with was bland comments about how he liked players with strong opinions and was fine about players speaking their minds. The only time he made any kind of criticism was when he distanced himself from the 'pay peanuts get monkeys' statement.

It's all got out of hand and the owner has had enough. Pardew ought to have taken him to one side and told him to shut the fuck up.

And if any of those four teams were relegated. How many of their foreign players would hang about? It's not having a go at any particular nationality and I shouldn't have singled out the surrender monkeys French  but if we buy Cabaye and are relegated next season do you think he'll stick around?

We should be building on the lads who regrouped and built the team spirit we have now.

Not getting relegated might be a major priority for some next season but I'd prefer it if we built a team which can go on and attack the top six. While I'm sure Pardew would love to be able to keep Joey here, if he's asking for players to be brought in that will get the fans off their seats, then Barton also has to fit himself into that equation rather than looking for contracts which will lock him in for the next 4 years. If he really wants to stay in any case.

Guest toonlass

I'd rather not build our squad based on their ability to perform/hang around in the Championship like :lol:

I'd rather strengthen the depth in our squad, and keep the better players we already have. Unfortunately Ashley and Llambias have a track record of showing they don't feel the same.