Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

PS who would really take him seriously as a potential player?

Top 4 = forget it.

Top six (spuds, bin dippers etc) = forget it

Can he do better that the toon?

No he can't but his agent will probably negotiate a decent enough contract with a wannabe team when he walks away for free next season. Like Smith he's going to hang in there and pick up the fat wedge while he can get it.

Your reply started so well.... I agree. 

However, bit in bold  :mackems:

What happened to all the talk about Arsenal's interest? They could probably pick him up for next to nothing as long as they agreed to match his wages. For the sake of a couple of million here or there I'm surprised they aren't getting crucial signings like Joey in early to prepare for pre-season.

What happened to all the talk about Arsenal's interest? They could probably pick him up for next to nothing as long as they agreed to match his wages. For the sake of a couple of million here or there I'm surprised they aren't getting crucial signings like Joey in early to prepare for pre-season.

He is never an Arsenal signing/player - surely?  Or an answer to their lack of success.  Free or not, I cannot see many teams going for him (as much as he has been great for us).

Turned out to be a load of bulls***.

Joey is a risk, so he'll need a club that's willing to take a risk because they're in a bit of trouble. Villa possibly.

We need to take that risk I think. We need to keep some continuity and leadership at the club. Joey was great last season and maybe he can take even further steps in the absence of Nolan. Loads of potential there. We should offer him a contract extension.

Guest Roger Kint

We did. He turned it down

Joey and his agent have stated numerous time that the club have said they are not going to offer him a new contract.

After he decided not to sign the one offered in Feb/March. Unless you think his agent was lying?

'Joey is happy at Newcastle and would be happy to talk. We're not a million miles apart, it's about the length of the deal.

Guest Roger Kint

Aye, and chances are last month we weren't budging on that, agent and Barton weren't happy, so didn't bother offering it again.

Yep exactly.

The only quotes we have are from Barton and his agent are they not? They maintain the club have decided not to offer him a new contract. To use an argument Tron often does, why hasn't the club denied this if it's untrue and he simply didn't accept the one on the table?

Guest neesy111

The only quotes we have are from Barton and his agent are they not? They maintain the club have decided not to offer him a new contract. To use an argument Tron often does, why hasn't the club denied this if it's untrue and he simply didn't accept the one on the table?

Both sides are not telling the truth tbh.

Aye, and chances are last month we weren't budging on that, agent and Barton weren't happy, so didn't bother offering it again.

So we offered the same deal again, therefore there was a contract to sign.

We did. He turned it down

Joey and his agent have stated numerous time that the club have said they are not going to offer him a new contract.

After he decided not to sign the one offered in Feb/March. Unless you think his agent was lying?

'Joey is happy at Newcastle and would be happy to talk. We're not a million miles apart, it's about the length of the deal.

At that point, though, if Barton and his agent are hoping to negotiate the length of the contract on offer but the club instead withdraws the proposed deal, is blame attached to Joey for "not signing a deal".

I think magpie99's post is a gross misrepresentation - not signing the first offer is different from turning down an offer...

I could easily see a situation where McKay met Llambias or whoever, we asked, any thoughts on the contract we showed a few months ago? McKay went, no, my client wants a longer contract, to which we simply replied, fair enough well there's no point in continuing negotiations, no contract will be offered.

It's pretty much the same thing...?  By not signing an offer on the table, you are essentially turning down the offer by conduct.

Exactly. McKay himself said a few months ago it was the length of contract, so if they weren't budging, why bother offering the same thing again, or if it wasn't offered at the time in March or whenever it was, why offer something they won't sign?

Remind me never to negotiate with you two - what you seem suggesting is the club's first offer is its only offer, and that's how it should be...?

In FM terms, it's the equivalent of the first contract negotiation being a "take it or leave it" offer - and adding a "now or never" for good measure. Or have I misrepresented your positions?

It seems clear that he's not wanted by the club (Regardless of what Pardew wants), i suspect they will force him out toward the end of the window. I see no chance of him signing a new contract.

It's a shame because he's a good player and i'm sure he wants to stay.

It seems clear that he's not wanted by the club (Regardless of what Pardew wants), i suspect they will force him out toward the end of the window. I see no chance of him signing a new contract.

It's a shame because he's a good player and i'm sure he wants to stay.

I think we'd want Barton for a couple of years which reflects the length of contract we're prepared to offer, Barton wants something that'll be more secure for him long term.

Guest Roger Kint

Barton's tweets last night suggested there is no longer *any* offer to sign, even if he decided he wanted to.

Unsurprising, after the Nolan sale he hasnt done much to suggest they will want to hold any talks with him. Plus there may well be a case of them already deciding 'no more' when they chose not to offer anything in the meeting with McKay.