Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

If an acceptable offer came in for Barton and Barton refused to leave I'm sure Ashley could force the issue by telling Barton he won't get a game for the last year of his contract. Barton saying he'll leave on a Bosman versus Mike Ashley telling Barton he won't play a game for a season. Who'd cave in first? Barton I'd imagine.

Ashley/Pardew would be stupid to do something with Barton.

Not really comparable, but I remember that Capello told Beckham he wouldn't play again for Real Madrid (because he announced that he would go to LA Galaxy).

In the end it was Becks who played such a big part for Madrid to win them the title and they even would have wanted to give him a new contract.

What I want to say with that is that, if a good offer comes in and Joey would take it (CL-club) than let him leave, but if it doesn't happen, keep him and decide what to do with him during next season.

If an acceptable offer came in for Barton and Barton refused to leave I'm sure Ashley could force the issue by telling Barton he won't get a game for the last year of his contract. Barton saying he'll leave on a Bosman versus Mike Ashley telling Barton he won't play a game for a season. Who'd cave in first? Barton I'd imagine.

Barton won't go down without a fight though. If the above happens, all hell would break loose on his Twitter.

That would probably please Ashley as the club could fine Barton for every outburst so NUFC wouldn't even have to pay him.

That would probably please Ashley as the club could fine Barton for every outburst so NUFC wouldn't even have to pay him.

Giving Barton a fine would depend on what he said.

Giving Barton a fine would depend on what he said.

I took "all hell would break loose on his Twitter" to mean Barton would be saying things that would get him into trouble. It's surprising he hasn't been fined for some of the things he's already said on Twitter.

Fact is, Ashley owns the club. If he doesn't want Barton to play Barton won't play. Would Barton want a year out of the game? No chance so he'd move if that was the choice.

I don't see how Barton can think he can threaten to leave on a Bosman free and expect Ashley to do nothing about it if an offer comes in for Barton.

Personally I'd like Barton to stay unless we can get someone better or he becomes a disruptive influence. My point is that Barton can't mess with his employer and expect to win.

Barton won't go down without a fight though. If the above happens, all hell would break loose on his Twitter.

We may have a Laurent Robert type situation in that case......

I'd be a very happy man if Barton left. He did well for us last season, but his personality is all but professional. He certainly will provide discomfort in the dressing room.

When has he done that before?

Not saying that he has done that before. I believe he will this season. Have you seen his reaction to Nolan being sold, and his own contract negotiation? He'll make a living hell on twitter when he realizes that his only options are getting sold, see out his contract or agree a pay-cut on a 2 or 3 yr deal.

I really struggle to see Barton be professional and keep his performance up tbh.

Guest schmuck

Not saying that he has done that before. I believe he will this season. Have you seen his reaction to Nolan being sold, and his own contract negotiation? He'll make a living hell on twitter when he realizes that his only options are getting sold, see out his contract or agree a pay-cut on a 2 or 3 yr deal.

I really struggle to see Barton be professional and keep his performance up tbh.

I'm fairly sure he realises his options already. And I think you're overplaying the influence of twitter in the dressing room just a tad tbh, I doubt Jonas will refuse to pass to him because Joey mentioned him in a hashtag, y'know? These guys see each other every day of their working lives and have a working relationship that stretches back years in some cases, just because we're privy to tiny fractions of their thoughts at any given time doesn't mean we should be constructing full blown character portraits and soap operas based on them.

I'm fairly sure he realises his options already. And I think you're overplaying the influence of twitter in the dressing room just a tad tbh, I doubt Jonas will refuse to pass to him because Joey mentioned him in a hashtag, y'know? These guys see each other every day of their working lives and have a working relationship that stretches back years in some cases, just because we're privy to tiny fractions of their thoughts at any given time doesn't mean we should be constructing full blown character portraits and soap operas based on them.

What you say is valid. However, in the case of Barton you should take into consideration his rather troublesome past, and the fact that he's been in jail while contracted to us. He's done well for us for such a short time when you look at how much time he's spent here. Overall he's been disappointing in my opinion.

Of course youcan't get the full truth and aspects from twitter and the media about someone, but you certainly get a good picture of people opinion, because that is what Barton is expressing  - his opinions. He's entitled to it, as much as people are entitled to judge him by his opinions, match performance and on- and off-field actions.

Dont see much reason atall to believe he'll suddenly become disruptive to the dressing room because he wasnt happy for 10 mins on twitter.

He wasnt happy that Nolan was sold, dont blame him. Everyone moves on, he did within the hour. Completely normal reaction.

I dont want us to sell him, even if we brought in Nzog. I believe hes the kind of player who will knuckle down and try to raise his game further now if our standard goes up, he's said that he will himself. At certain points last season he was chasing down everything & dictating a lot for us. Really stood out. Great player to have in the squad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/30/joey-barton-newcastle-alan-pardew

Newcastle happy to allow Joey Barton to run down his contract

• 'There is no new deal for Barton, says Alan Pardew

• Newcastle have received no offers for midfielder

Alan Pardew is relaxed about Joey Barton's failure to agree a new contract with Newcastle United. The midfielder has entered the final year of his current deal but remains adamant he does not want to leave Tyneside this summer.

A departure during the coming weeks would deny the 28-year-old the personally lucrative possibility of a free transfer next year but, although Newcastle's board may ideally prefer to cash in on Barton now, Pardew believes allowing him to run his contract down could benefit all concerned.

"I have spoken to Joey," said Newcastle's manager who has not received a single enquiry regarding a player who excelled on the right of midfield last season. "Unfortunately at the moment there is no new contract for him. He has a year remaining and I think he will stay for that year. I think, like a lot of players, that yearly term contracts in the Premier League are going to be the norm."

Pardew does not believe Barton will necessarily leave in 12 months time. "Who's to say that, in a year's time, Joey won't be offered a contract [by Newcastle] that he finds acceptable," he told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

"He really had a fantastic season last year but I'm hoping he will play better next season. I don't see why he shouldn't."

With Newcastle having already secured the signatures of the midfielders Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid, as well as the striker Demba Ba this summer, Pardew is still seeking another forward and, ideally, a couple of left sided players.

While he hopes José Enrique will eventually opt to stay at St James' Park he remains keen on the Swansea City left-back Neil Taylor in addition to the Wigan Athletic winger Charles N'Zogbia and the Reading striker Shane Long.

My reading of the above scenario:

Newcastle are relaxed about the prospect of Barton seeing out his contract because it will mean they will have an excuse not to buy Zog now for £10m and hope he'll come here on a free next year to replace Barton then.

Makes you wonder why Pardew isn't breaking down Ashleys door to secure one of the Clubs senior players. I don't believe for one second that Pardew wants to lose a player the quality of Barton. And if he does then he needs to be seriously questioned himself.

I think if anyone had a doubt about the set-up at SJP then there will be no doubt whatsoever now. Pardew is NOT the manager of NUFC he is first team coach and will work with players given to him. I'll bet not one of the players brought in so far where Pardews choice.

That Guardian article just reads totally wrong for me. I'd expect better than that from any manager of NUFC.

Makes you wonder why Pardew isn't breaking down Ashleys door to secure one of the Clubs senior players. I don't believe for one second that Pardew wants to lose a player the quality of Barton. And if he does then he needs to be seriously questioned himself.

Agree about that.

Pardew surely does not want to lose a player of that quality with that he seems to get on very well and that he even made captain last season.

Guest bimpy474

Agree about that.

Pardew surely does not want to lose a player of that quality with that he seems to get on very well and that he even made captain last season.

I'm seeing it slightly different, i think Barton's wage as it stands and possibly what he is after in his new deal are the problem, Pardew probably knows/been told by the board that he can get two new players in on half of Barton's wages each, as a manager does he think two players are going to be more worth in his squad to him than Barton.

I dont think he wants to lose Joey but he isn't irreplaceable, two in on Joeys wages, reckon thats more attractive in the long run.

I think if anyone had a doubt about the set-up at SJP then there will be no doubt whatsoever now. Pardew is NOT the manager of NUFC he is first team coach and will work with players given to him. I'll bet not one of the players brought in so far where Pardews choice.

That Guardian article just reads totally wrong for me. I'd expect better than that from any manager of NUFC.

he picks the team, thats it. that's why he's here and not someone else with a decent record and some self respect

Agree about that.

I'm seeing it slightly different, i think Barton's wage as it stands and possibly what he is after in his new deal are the problem, Pardew probably knows/been told by the board that he can get two new players in on half of Barton's wages each, as a manager does he think two players are going to be more worth in his squad to him than Barton.

I dont think he wants to lose Joey but he isn't irreplaceable, two in on Joeys wages, reckon thats more attractive in the long run.

It was said so often that the problem is the lenght of the contract, not the wages. I think everyone knows that by now.

I reckon Pardew has some input on which players he likes but is more than happy to work in the current set up. It's how most clubs are run these days, i.e., within a budget.

Guest bimpy474

Agree about that.

It was said so often that the problem is the lenght of the contract, not the wages. I think everyone knows that by now.

Thats what we think we know, as usual this club tells us nothing, it could be a glittering array of things, Nolan reckoned it was length of his contract but the concensus is it was about money too, top flight footballers are about money, with the few exceptions who want to win things and move for ambition, even in that they know that the money is still going to be mental anyhoo.

Barton can say what he likes, its about money just as much as it is about the contract length.

Imho obviously.