Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

He took the lucrative contact which he may never be offered again, you cannot blame him realy. He could have stayed, and I woukd have had massive respect for him if he did, but at the end of the day he's done what most footballers would have done in similar circumstances.

That's the point really, he puts himself up as not like other footballers etc, the whole reason he was allowed togo was his constant digs about lack of ambition then he shows a massive lack of ambition chasing after more money.

Chasing after more money :lol: Give it a break man.

What would you had him do? I think its fairly obvious no Champions League clubs were in for him and we wanted him to bugger off.

What could he have done? Stay.

He took the lucrative contact which he may never be offered again, you cannot blame him realy. He could have stayed, and I woukd have had massive respect for him if he did, but at the end of the day he's done what most footballers would have done in similar circumstances.

You can blame him when he said just weeks ago that he wouldn't do exactly what he has done today.

Aye he looks a bit stupid like, but what else could he do? Stick around for another mid-table year here and then hope some other club willing to take a gamble will come in with contract as great as he's gotten from QPR? Yeah, but how would that help him?

He's not the 'people's footballer' that he likes to come across as, but it was probably the best decision for him and his family considering the limited options he will always have due to his past.

Like virtually everyone else who leaves here though, be it Carroll, Nolan, Enrique, or Andy Cole, Barton opted to walk away when the opportunity to stay was still there. For all the badge-kissing and alleged affection for us, he's gone at the drop of a hat to an inferior club who oddly seemed to be missing from yesterday's Champions League draw...

It's no wonder Ashley and his rent boy get away with murder when there are people out there who want to blame everyone but them.

The players and fans have been consistently fed lies about spending money and new contracts.

A year ago we had the best squad we've had in years.  Everyone delighted to be playing for NUFC.  They didn't just change their minds and want out, they simply couldn't work under the circumstances anymore.

:lol: no longer allowed into SJP? no longer adored by the fans? why else couldn't they work here?

Does McKay rep both zog and barton?  they both seemed to labor under a delusion top 4 sides were after them shortly before leaving for clubs that, on the best of days, should be considered a sideways step.  I blame him.  Even if it turns out he's not involved in this at all.

Take all of your points but none of them stopped Barton playing in the first two games. If he was that worried about his long-term future and ability to command a decent wage, why did he even risk getting onto the pitch? That Alex Song stamp could have cost him his next contract.

He talks of ambition; as I pointed out earlier in the thread, if QPR were the only team interested then why not play out his last year, assume the risk of injury that comes with it, but continue to perform at the level he played at last season. That way, he has shown to any interested parties that he genuinely is a top-level player and can do a role for a European club. Failing that, water may have passed under the bridge and the club and his agent may have found an agreeable figure to seal the deal.

I appreciate he's looking out for his own, but the club were the ones who ended up (reluctantly) standing by him through his off the pitch related fracas and three years of sporadic, disappointing 'performances'. You could argue that the club had already borne the risk of his three down years, so to only receive one 'up' year put them in a reasonable negotiating position. Clearly Barton and McKay didn't agree.

Not sure why this puts the club in a bad light - should we have renegotiated when he'd had 3 crap seasons for us? By all accounts we started renegotiating in January (as most clubs do) and he was the one to put talks on hold "until Nolan signs".

Read that and I totally understand that Barton is entitled to look after his financial affairs and put himself and his bank balance first. For the same reason I think we as a football club have to look after our financial affairs and make sure we don't end up like Everton. For that reason I'm very pleased that we didn't cave in to either Barton or Nolan's demands for long contracts on big money.

Read that and I totally understand that Barton is entitled to look after his financial affairs and put himself and his bank balance first. For the same reason I think we as a football club have to look after our financial affairs and make sure we don't end up like Everton. For that reason I'm very pleased that we didn't cave in to either Barton or Nolan's demands for long contracts on big money.

Here here. You know what you could do the opposite. You could give a homesick player a new contract of 250 grand a week after he tells you he is homesick to appease him and his family. Yet a year later you get the same story. Even the richest clubs have a limit.

As long as journalists and fans alike continue to turn a blind eye to this ("We have other players" "We'll sign a replacement") and slag off the player for walking away ("Not amibitious" "Greedy cunt" "Good riddance"), then Mike Ashley will keep doing it.

It'll be the same with Jonas, the same with Tiote and the same with Coloccini.

Guest Mantis

After watching the shite last night he probably went straight round to sign.  Some people are clearly happy to watch this side get weaker and weaker.  It's ok though, the left back will be here by Sunday  :rolleyes:

Jonas next

Putting aside for one moment who's to blame for Barton leaving - will he be replaced? And if so, will that replacement be as good or better?

If the answer is no to either the first or second question, then we have part 1672647438483826767868368723678378367896786278678678637867851267125671275236348973489726378067834678346784647864807648904678903647806786278016347806780263478067802678067806478046807678067806708th of NUFC's bad decisons made under this regime.

Guest Mantis

Putting aside for one moment who's to blame for Barton leaving - will he be replaced? And if so, will that replacement be as good or better?

If the answer is no to either the first or second question, then we have part 1672647438483826767868368723678378367896786278678678637867851267125671275236348973489726378067834678346784647864807648904678903647806786278016347806780263478067802678067806478046807678067806708th of NUFC's bad decisons made under this regime.

The next poor decision wont be far behind. Once Jonas is gone it will be Obertan and Routledges twin skinning the opposition.

As long as journalists and fans alike continue to turn a blind eye to this ("We have other players" "We'll sign a replacement") and slag off the player for walking away ("Not amibitious" "Greedy c***" "Good riddance"), then Mike Ashley will keep doing it.

It'll be the same with Jonas, the same with Tiote and the same with Coloccini.

Tbf it has been the same  for every other club and player who has left  (when players leave)